Next Generation Handset Design

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
lbmofo
Re: Next Generation Handset Design

Post by lbmofo » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:18 pm

Going back to "what was designed" vs. "what came out"

Is kind of like "what I ended up with" vs. "what was in my head"

Don't get me wrong, Hyundais are nice. :P

torreyaz

Post by torreyaz » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:36 am

I purchased a Telo a week ago and so far it's ok, save for the low, low volume on the voicemail speaker which I understand my be fixed with a f/w update soon. I wanted to purchase the handset to go with the unit, but after reading reviews on Amazon I decided to pass. It seems that battery life and readout are two recurring complaints with the unit. Furthermore, the lack of a headset jack is a complete non-starter for me as I use this feature on my current VTech quite a bit. The aesthetics of the phone look good in pictures, however and I would order one in a heartbeat if the aforementioned issues were resolved.

I hope that some Ooma engineers read this thread.

ntoy

Post by ntoy » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:04 am

torreyaz wrote:I purchased a Telo a week ago and so far it's ok, save for the low, low volume on the voicemail speaker which I understand my be fixed with a f/w update soon. I wanted to purchase the handset to go with the unit, but after reading reviews on Amazon I decided to pass. It seems that battery life and readout are two recurring complaints with the unit. Furthermore, the lack of a headset jack is a complete non-starter for me as I use this feature on my current VTech quite a bit. The aesthetics of the phone look good in pictures, however and I would order one in a heartbeat if the aforementioned issues were resolved.

Hello torreyaz,

I noticed that you registered your Ooma device with Landline integration. I assume you've tried adjusting the volume by pressing the upper left button? When you press the play button on your telo, is the volume on the greeting low as well? If you pickup your receiver, is the volume any better? Are you thinking about porting? You can contact our support folks to change your Ooma to a temp number to try.

torreyaz

Post by torreyaz » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:21 pm

ntoy wrote:
torreyaz wrote:I purchased a Telo a week ago and so far it's ok, save for the low, low volume on the voicemail speaker which I understand my be fixed with a f/w update soon. I wanted to purchase the handset to go with the unit, but after reading reviews on Amazon I decided to pass. It seems that battery life and readout are two recurring complaints with the unit. Furthermore, the lack of a headset jack is a complete non-starter for me as I use this feature on my current VTech quite a bit. The aesthetics of the phone look good in pictures, however and I would order one in a heartbeat if the aforementioned issues were resolved.

Hello torreyaz,

I noticed that you registered your Ooma device with Landline integration. I assume you've tried adjusting the volume by pressing the upper left button? When you press the play button on your telo, is the volume on the greeting low as well? If you pickup your receiver, is the volume any better? Are you thinking about porting? You can contact our support folks to change your Ooma to a temp number to try.
Yes, I did register w/ Landline Integration and I posted this as a followup to a thread in the 'Voicemail' area under a topic dealing with low VM volume. I just got the newest f/w release today but the speaker volume for the actual message is still low. When I use my VTech handset to check a message, the volume is satisfactory. The volume on the Telo is still very low. The greeting is nice and loud but the actual message is low. I am in the midst of porting and someone posted that when the porting was complete the volume returned to normal. You can read/respond to that thread if need be since this not exactly the right topic for this thread. Thanks for your response, however, and right now I'm not too discouraged by this.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu May 12, 2011 3:16 pm

FYI, last night for the 2nd time this happend to me.

While pulling handset away from ear, a strand of hair got caught on the message waiting LED and got plucked. A bit of pain.....could be something to look into for future design. ;) I see that this wouldn't be a problem with the handset on the left :P

murphy

Post by murphy » Thu May 12, 2011 4:25 pm

Have you discovered a new feature?
Automatic hair trimmer.
;)
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu May 12, 2011 4:42 pm

I think both times the hair plucked were gray so automatic gray removal. Nice!

Santa

Post by Santa » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:13 pm

I don't care what it looks like. I just want a headset jack.

MWPollard

Post by MWPollard » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:24 pm

When a single Telo handset costs what I paid for my Panasonic base with three additional extensions, I hope they give it a full-color touch-screen display, back-lit buttons and Bluetooth-headset compatibility... Considering the price, $50 per handset, maybe even a camera for handset-based videophone use...

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:54 pm

MWPollard wrote:When a single Telo handset costs what I paid for my Panasonic base with three additional extensions, I hope they give it a full-color touch-screen display, back-lit buttons and Bluetooth-headset compatibility... Considering the price, $50 per handset, maybe even a camera for handset-based videophone use...
Sounds like you are describing a cell phone like device; even the free cell phones you can get out there (requiring a 2 year contract) aren't really cheap. The carrier subsidizes the heck out of them. Given that Telo handsets aren't really mass manufactured and given all the cool technologies built in, the $50 price tag is actually pretty amazing.