Callers can't dial voice mailbox extensions - (DTMF problem)

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
Bexar
Callers can't dial voice mailbox extensions - (DTMF problem)

Post by Bexar » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:52 am

Does anyone have any ideas to how I can get the Ooma to recieve DTMF signals? We use a Talkswitch 244VS (basically a Voice Mailbox) and callers are unable to dial extensions.

For example: A caller calls in and hears our Main Greating: "Dial 1 for Joe, 2 for Mary, 3 for Mr. so-on. When the caller presses 3, it's as if they dialed nothing at all. The main greating repeats and waits for the to select someone. It's as if DTMF is completely absent like Skype.

Does anyone know of a work around? Maybe a setting I could change, an amplifier, repeater, or DTMF generator that can be put in series just before the voice mailbox? Anything?

Thank you in advance,
Bexar

WayneDsr

Re: Callers can't dial voice mailbox extensions - (DTMF problem)

Post by WayneDsr » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:22 am

I don't know if this makes any difference with your issue or not, but I do some banking via phone and all button presses work with out any problems.
"Press 1 for English"

Wayne

daet

Post by daet » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:52 am

Bexar wrote:For example: A caller calls in and hears our Main Greating: "Dial 1 for Joe, 2 for Mary, 3 for Mr. so-on. When the caller presses 3, it's as if they dialed nothing at all. The main greating repeats and waits for the to select someone. It's as if DTMF is completely absent like Skype.
With Skype, even DTMF on outgoing calls mostly doesn't work. With Ooma, I can verify (as stated by WayneDsr) that DTMF does work on outgoing calls.

I don't have a setup to test DTMF on incoming calls, but I'm guessing that its ability work or not work will depend both upon the quality of your network connection, and the protocol that Ooma uses to packetize analog information into UDP/IP packets.

Can you verify that DTMF works for outgoing calls for you?
Ooma customer since April 2009
Ooma equipment: Hub ; Telo + 4 handsets
Ooma service: Annual Premier subscription

murphy

Post by murphy » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:33 am

I have verified this problem.

Outgoing DTMF works fine when a call is placed from ooma to Verizon to the automated attendant on my Panasonic phone.

Incoming DTMF does not work when a call is placed from Verizon to the ooma hub to the automated attendant on my Panasonic phone.

I don't normally use the automated attendant but set it up for this test. In the second case I tried using a modern electronic phone to generate the tones and also tried an ancient model 500 desk phone. Neither worked to control the automated attendant.

My Verizon line is completely separate from the ooma hub. There is no line sharing or integration or sharing of wires.

I just listened for touchtones on an incoming call. When the key is pushed there is a loud click. The tone is just barely audible. For all practical purposes it isn't there.

ooma seems to be blocking touchtones on purpose on an incoming call.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

daet

Post by daet » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:04 pm

murphy wrote:I have verified this problem.

I just listened for touchtones on an incoming call. When the key is pushed there is a loud click. The tone is just barely audible. For all practical purposes it isn't there.

ooma seems to be blocking touchtones on purpose on an incoming call.
I have reproduced your observation. And while DTMF tones are not being received (or passed through), fax tones clearly are.

DG
Ooma customer since April 2009
Ooma equipment: Hub ; Telo + 4 handsets
Ooma service: Annual Premier subscription

Bexar

Post by Bexar » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:03 am

Thank you everyone for your replies so! As stated, my problem is specifically incoming” calls only. Outgoing seems to be ok.

I’ve already ruled out whether this is a bandwidth problem. I've done a bench test, bringing everything down to it's elemental form (the bare basics) while testing a Talkswitch 224VS (networkable with VOIP). Setup as Cable Modem>Ooma>Router. I went even further with a Talkswitch 24CA: Cable Modem>Ooma (No “Intra”net). It’s obviously not a bandwidth issue (we’re pulling almost 11MB Down & 4 Up). I’ve played around with Ooma’s QOS UP/DOWN streams and it didn’t help at all.

Using Talkswitch, I’ve amplified the caller side and tried all available settings in “Digit Detection” (ms timing to recognize DTMF signals). Seems that it’s only sounds, No DTMF.

I’m questioning (like daet) whether the DTMF have been either been stripped or not passed through. It really acts as if that’s the case. If so, does anyone know of a Analog to DTMF converter that can pass though the conversation?

Until I can fix this, we are totally down because our number has already been ported! SO… for anyone in my situation in the future – I’m temporarily patching it by using “Call Forwarding” for all calls. I’m guessing this will pickup the necessary DTMF signals from the other carrier (sadly bypassing the whole idea of Ooma in the first place).

In no way am I knocking Ooma! So far, I am totally pleased with my Ooma purchase and highly recommend it to anyone sitting on the fence thinking about it. I’ve found their product and support team to be one of the best for a new and upcoming company. For a normal household, Ooma would be PERFECT!!! But in no means is my household “NORMAL”. We are completely automated and it’s just that I stupidly neglected to test our system’s basics (selecting an extension) before porting our number. Murphey’s law – Now I’m working on this problem until I find a fix. Everything else (Including "ALL" of Ooma’s Support Team) has far beyond met my expectations.

Bexar

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:49 am

I would get on the phone Monday and give support a call. Maybe there's something they can do on their end. Hopefully it can be that easy.

Keep us up to date.

Wayne

Dennis P
Ooma Moderator

Post by Dennis P » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:45 pm

Incoming DTMF's don't work well with our system today (and it is garbled, but not blocked). It's a problem that we are aware of, but we haven't had the bandwidth to address yet.

Bexar

Post by Bexar » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:35 pm

Thank You Denis, that's what I found late Sunday night.

I guess we'll consider this thread closed until further notice. As a work around, I’m going to forward the line tonight.

Everyone - Thank you for your input!!!

If anyone would like to respond further, I would appreciate any suggestions regarding an in-line (series) DTMF repeater, amplifier or filter with voice pass-thru capability. This device could be something either purchased or an open source schematic in which I’ll make.

murphy

Post by murphy » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:16 am

Dennis P wrote:Incoming DTMF's don't work well with our system today (and it is garbled, but not blocked). It's a problem that we are aware of, but we haven't had the bandwidth to address yet.
Sorry but your explanation doesn't pass muster. Whether the call is an outbound call or an inbound call, outbound touchtones work fine and inbound touchtones don't work at all. They do not come through distorted or garbled. The audio path goes completely dead as soon as a touchtone starts and remains that way until the touchtone stops.

There are seven sinusoidal tones involved in generating touchtones. They match the four rows and three columns on a standard touchtone phone. There is actually a fourth column in the specification but the vast majority of phones don't have the fourth column. Pushing a button activates the two tones that form the intersection of the row and column.

With a standard model 500 touchtone desk phone the individual sinusoidal tones can be generated by pushing two buttons in the same row or column at the same time.

All seven sinusoidal tones come through just fine, with no distortion, when generated individually. It's only when two tones arrive at the same that the audio path is completely shut down.

There is no doubt in my mind that there is a touchtone decoder in the incoming audio path that blocks the audio path whenever a touchtone is detected.

It may not be in ooma's equipment. Whoever provides the connection to the PSTN (Public Switched Telephone Network) may be doing it.

It would be interesting to see if the block occurs between two ooma numbers since that connection doesn't use the PSTN. Unfortunately two ooma numbers on the same hub / scout system can't call each other for some unfathomable reason. That prevents me from testing since I don't know anyone else that has an ooma system.

Does anyone, that knows someone else with an ooma system, want to run the test? Place a call to the other system. Press a button and ask if the person at the other end heard hears the touchtone normally. Then have them push a button and do you hear the touchtone normally. This will determine if it is an ooma problem or a PSTN problem.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx