Very Low Sound On Voicemail

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
tomcat
Re: Very Low Sound On Voicemail

Post by tomcat » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:55 pm

QCK wrote:Thought I would give an update, I received the firmware update 2 days ago and it did not resolve the low sound issue. Yesterday my phone number was ported and the recording sound level is now acceptable. It would still be nice if it was a little louder but as I said it is ok.
QCK - by chance were you using landline integration while you were waiting for your number to port?

torreyaz

Post by torreyaz » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:58 pm

QCK wrote:Thought I would give an update, I received the firmware update 2 days ago and it did not resolve the low sound issue. Yesterday my phone number was ported and the recording sound level is now acceptable. It would still be nice if it was a little louder but as I said it is ok.
I received the update today (Version: 45073) and I'm experiencing the same thing, low voicemail message playback. The guided voice on the Telo is fine but the actual message volume is barely audible. You can hear it if you're in a dead-quiet room with the Telo volume maxed, but even then I found myself leaning in to hear a message.

*Edit: I am using landline integration while I'm waiting for my number to port. Not sure if it makes a difference but it sounds like it might.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:31 pm

torreyaz, if you can have your landline forwarded or you simply don't mind keeping Ooma and landline separate for a few more days, could you call into CS and change your Ooma mode from landline integration to standalone? That way, given the low volume problem goes away, we can confirm that the issue was due to your landline integration.

QCK

Post by QCK » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:07 am

tomcat wrote:
QCK - by chance were you using landline integration while you were waiting for your number to port?
Yes, it was a landline integration.

GAM

Post by GAM » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:54 am

Thought I would give an update. I received the 45073 firmware update on 4/21 and the voicemail sound is still very low...nearly inaudible. Per other recent posts, I have landline integration as I was attempting to trial test Ooma before porting our landline number. Based on QCK's experiences, it sounds it is necessary to proceed with porting to eliminate the landline integration.

tomcat

Post by tomcat » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:59 am

GAM wrote:Thought I would give an update. I received the 45073 firmware update on 4/21 and the voicemail sound is still very low...nearly inaudible. Per other recent posts, I have landline integration as I was attempting to trial test Ooma before porting our landline number. Based on QCK's experiences, it sounds it is necessary to proceed with porting to eliminate the landline integration.
If you are not wanting to port you number just yet, I would recommend that you call Ooma to have your telo changed to standalone mode (to eliminate the landline integration) then forward your landline number to your ooma number. The only drawback is that calls you make will show as your ooma number on the recipient's CID.

GAM

Post by GAM » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:55 am

Thank you for the suggestion Tomcat. I believe that approach would also mean adopting a new/different phone#. I prefer to maintain my existing landline # since I have had it for many years. Will proceed with porting.

UPDATE:
My landline # porting was completed on 5/3. The voicemail volume is now audible. It appears the landline integration is the root cause of my issue.

Thanks.
Last edited by GAM on Thu May 05, 2011 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kurt

Post by Kurt » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:49 pm

I had the same problem, low voicemail volume as compared to the voicemail lady. My problem was corrected when I ported my telephone number over to OOMA. I was using the hybrid AT&T phone line into the Telo arrangement. The result is that incoming calls came over the AT&T line and were recorded by the Telo. For some reason those calls had a low volume. The low volume is not something that obvious when your activly talking to someone.

I_Ooma_2

Post by I_Ooma_2 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:14 am

Although I suppose actual volume level is subjective, I too would say that I am experiencing low VM volume, but only when listening to the messages directly on the Telo base.

I didn't port my old number (this is a new number I chose from Ooma when I set it up), never used landline integration, and I am on the latest firmware (45073). Perhaps people have had even lower volumes than I do, but again it's difficult to judge. To me though, there is a pretty significant difference in volume between the Ooma voice prompts and the VM messages.

If I listen over my cordless phone, the volume is fine. Same thing for MP3 attachments to emails as well as listening directly from MyOoma. As others have said, the Telo 'voice prompts' have a decent volume on max, but the actual voicemails are very difficult to hear with any kind of noise in the room. I need to put my ear close to the Telo in order to hear the message. By comparison, I never had a volume problem like this when listening to messages on my Panasonic Dect 6.0 cordless system with built-in answering machine at the base.

I can deal with it but figured I'd mention it if it might cause Ooma to try and do something to increase the volume. :D

zgolfin16

Post by zgolfin16 » Mon May 02, 2011 11:29 am

My Ooma was working fine until a few days ago -- now I can't hear anything unless I'm listening through the handset. To increase the volume, do you press and hold the button down, or do you repeatedly tap it? I've tried both, but I might have cancelled them out.