Telo Port Forwarding

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
jamgold
Telo Port Forwarding

Post by jamgold » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:21 am

I have the recommended setup with my Cable modem connected directly to my Telo (version 45073), and my LAN connected to the LAN port of the Telo. No other router or firewall involved.

One of my computers in the LAN is running a Web server on port 80, so I tried to add it to the port forwarding rules, but no matter what I do the Telo never responds on the port from the outside (WAN). For example, I tried to connect from a system in Amazon's EC2 cloud and my WAN IP does NOT respond on port 80.

The only way I could get it to work was to add my system with the web server as the DMZ IP address, which is NOT AT ALL what I want.

Does anybody know the magic to get Ooma Telo port forwarding to work?

All my systems in the LAN have static IP addresses, and I changed the network from the default 172. to 192.168.1 (which is what I had before I got the Telo).

highq

Re: Telo Port Forwarding

Post by highq » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:23 am

Why should the Telo respond to port 80 if you want to reach your web server?
What rule did you try to install?

jamgold

Post by jamgold » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:29 am

highq wrote:Why should the Telo respond to port 80 if you want to reach your web server?
What rule did you try to install?
The Telo should respond on port 80 because that's what I told it to do with port forwarding. I told it to forward all requests to port 80 on the WAN side to a specific LAN address on port 80.

This is how port forwarding is supposed to work and does work with all other routers I have ever used (Netgear, Linksys, DLink, Cisco)

highq

Post by highq » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:44 am

Problem with phraseology. You're saying that having told the Telo to forward port 80 to 192.168.1.xyz, the latter isn't responding. What the Telo seems to be failing to do is the forwarding.

jamgold

Post by jamgold » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:00 am

highq wrote:Problem with phraseology. You're saying that having told the Telo to forward port 80 to 192.168.1.xyz, the latter isn't responding. What the Telo seems to be failing to do is the forwarding.
correct, which results in it not responding on the WAN port 80

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:36 am

jamgold wrote:I have the recommended setup with my Cable modem connected directly to my Telo (version 45073), and my LAN connected to the LAN port of the Telo. No other router or firewall involved.

One of my computers in the LAN is running a Web server on port 80, so I tried to add it to the port forwarding rules, but no matter what I do the Telo never responds on the port from the outside (WAN). For example, I tried to connect from a system in Amazon's EC2 cloud and my WAN IP does NOT respond on port 80.

The only way I could get it to work was to add my system with the web server as the DMZ IP address, which is NOT AT ALL what I want.

Does anybody know the magic to get Ooma Telo port forwarding to work?

All my systems in the LAN have static IP addresses, and I changed the network from the default 172. to 192.168.1 (which is what I had before I got the Telo).
I'm puzzled as how you have your LAN system connected to to from a LAN, since you aren't using a router? Are you using the Ooma device's DHCP function to issue IP address from the Home port through a switch to your computers, or do you have a central computer issuing IP addresses to the other computer's in you LAN?
Last edited by thunderbird on Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jamgold

Post by jamgold » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:41 pm

I'm puzzled as how you have your LAN system connected to to form a LAN, since you aren't using a router? Are you using the Ooma device's DHCP function to issue IP address from the Home port through a switch to your computers, or do you have a central computer issuing IP addresses to the other computer's in you LAN?
I didn't mention that I have a hub between the Telo and my home computers. The Telo still has it's DHCP server active, but only in a very limited range. My computers have static IP addresses assigned, which is one of the prereqs for port forwarding (at least with other vendors).

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:15 pm

jamgold wrote:
Some thoughts and Ideas:
Are you worried that there would be increased security risk with the web server as the DMZ IP address? There would be no security risk difference between connecting modem-hub-web server computer, or connecting modem-Ooma-Hub-web server computer with the web server's computer IP number in the Ooma's DMZ.

The hub has more limited function and could cause Ooma to limit port forwarding?

You could connect your Ooma device behind the hub if you have an extra port. I have my Ooma device behind my router and it works fine that way. If you had to, you could purchase a switch so you would have enough LAN ports. But if you go that far, it would probably be better to purchase a router which would provide more security.

jamgold

Post by jamgold » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:28 pm

thunderbird wrote:Some thoughts and Ideas:
Are you worried that there would be increased security risk with the web server as the DMZ IP address? There would be no security risk difference between connecting modem-hub-web server computer, or connecting modem-Ooma-Hub-web server computer with the web server's computer IP number in the Ooma's DMZ.
Oh yes there would be. My computer has many more ports open that I do NOT want to expose to the internet.
thunderbird wrote:The hub has more limited function and could cause Ooma to limit port forwarding?
No, a hub has no such limiting function since it does NOT work on TCP/IP level.
thunderbird wrote:You could connect your Ooma device behind the hub if you have an extra port. I have my Ooma device behind my router and it works fine that way. If you had to, you could purchase a switch so you would have enough LAN ports. But if you go that far, it would probably be better to purchase a router which would provide more security.
I used to have my Ooma Telo behind my router, but that resulted in unacceptable voice quality. I finally removed the Router from the equation because I believed the advertised features of Ooma, which doesn't really require me to have a Router. Voice quality is acceptable now, but the port forwarding / DMZ situation is unacceptable now.

tomcat

Post by tomcat » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:08 pm

jamgold wrote:
thunderbird wrote:You could connect your Ooma device behind the hub if you have an extra port. I have my Ooma device behind my router and it works fine that way. If you had to, you could purchase a switch so you would have enough LAN ports. But if you go that far, it would probably be better to purchase a router which would provide more security.
I used to have my Ooma Telo behind my router, but that resulted in unacceptable voice quality. I finally removed the Router from the equation because I believed the advertised features of Ooma, which doesn't really require me to have a Router. Voice quality is acceptable now, but the port forwarding / DMZ situation is unacceptable now.
I, too, would recommend putting your telo behind your router. However, you may need to configure QoS in your router to prioritize the ooma traffic. The QoS settings should help to clear up your voice quality.