Anonymous call block issues

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
gregg098
Anonymous call block issues

Post by gregg098 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:33 pm

I turned on anonymous call block today because I keep getting some telemarketing calls that are always blocked. I set it to be totally blocked, not goto voicemail, so that family will know to dial *82 first. Since then, Ive had two complaints from family whom have blocked numbers. They called and received the message to dial *82 like they should, but when calling back with *82, they get an automated voicemail box. My voicemail has a personalized message though. So where is this call being routed to? Both people said the same thing. I didnt get anymore details about the message except that it was an automated voice and they didnt leave a message.

Has anyone else had any problems like this? Id really like to leave anonymous call block on, but if I have these problems I have no choice but to turn it off.

Thanks.

WayneDsr

Re: Anonymous call block issues

Post by WayneDsr » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:48 am

A quick thought:
Are you using ooma's voicemail or your own?

Wayne

gregg098

Post by gregg098 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:49 am

oomas. I have a recorded message on there though so it shouldnt be anything automated.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:42 am

Yes, you're right. That's what I was going for.

Wayne

gregg098

Post by gregg098 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:54 am

I misread your question. I thought you were asking if I was using omas VM or my own answering machine/other voicemail. Yes Im using oomas.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:58 am

You had it right. I thought maybe you were using your own answering machine, but ooma was sending those calls to your ooma answering machine online.

I thought maybe I had an answer for part (a small part) of your issue.

Wayne

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:43 am

When you turn off anonymous call block, are your family members able to reach you OK?

Was the automated voice they received for the voicemail, the "Melissa" voice that you hear when you play voicemail messages on your ooma Hub or Scout?
Bobby B

gregg098

Post by gregg098 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:51 am

Im not sure what voice it was. My dad just said it was an automated voice saying that the person wasnt available. He actually got through once. Then calling back an hour later, he had that problem with both of my phone numbers. Then my sister tried once and then just called my cell. Neither of them really paid any attention to the message so I dont have any more details. I can ask them to try again tonight.

And yes, calls do go through properly (as far as I know anyways) when anonymous call block is off. The only ones that didnt work when it was on was the ones who dialed *82 first.