Call From Myself???

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
scots
Call From Myself???

Post by scots » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:03 pm

On Thursday afternoon I received a call. The caller ID showed "Raleigh NC" as the name, and the phone number was my phone number! The call wasn't answered by anyone in the house. When the ooma voicemail answered the call it apparently thought I was calling myself, and it immediately went into the voicemail system without asking for a code or anything like that. It said I had no new messages, and then went right to the menu system saying "To get you messages press 1, to change settings press 2." I had no messages that could have been listened to, and the caller hung up without doing anything.

Has anyone had anything like this happen to them?? It's kind of scary that someone could spoof their caller ID to be my number and get into my voicemail system without needing to enter a code or anything like that.

buzzman

Re: Call From Myself???

Post by buzzman » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:17 pm

I read from somewhere that people (mostly telemarketers) can fool the caller ID with the recipient's number. I didn't realize that it'd circumfence VM security/restricted access. Anyone else can make a comment on this?

kdmc69

Post by kdmc69 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:05 pm

Yes, I've had it happen several times. I do answer and each time it has been some kind of marketeer.
Ooma Customer Since: August 2008
Ooma Equipment: 2 Telos + 2 HD2 Handsets
Ooma Service: Premier
Amped AC 1750 Router
TWC ->Router -> Telo1
TWC ->Router -> Telo2

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:13 pm

I would get all the info I could from the company then report them! And let them know it too!

Wayne

scots

Post by scots » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:59 pm

This was the first time it happened, and I hope it doesn't happen any more.

Soundjudgment

Post by Soundjudgment » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:52 am

scots wrote:When the ooma voicemail answered the call it apparently thought I was calling myself, and it immediately went into the voicemail system without asking for a code or anything like that. It said I had no new messages, and then went right to the menu system saying "To get you messages press 1, to change settings press 2." I had no messages that could have been listened to, and the caller hung up without doing anything.
Wow! Now there is some major suxxage on that problem. And not even asking for a code to retrieve the Mail-box?? It is nothing short of an absolute security-breech if true.
ooma customer since December 2008
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Premier, Lifetime Member
<< The following line intentionally left blank >>

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:21 pm

I'll try to reproduce the problem. If spoofed Caller-IDs allow voicemail access, we'll put in measures to prevent this from happening.
Bobby B

scots

Post by scots » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:31 pm

Bobby B wrote:I'll try to reproduce the problem. If spoofed Caller-IDs allow voicemail access, we'll put in measures to prevent this from happening.
Bobby -

I don't know if you can see any other info about the call from your end or not. It first happened on April 16 @ 3:42pm. I was just looking at my call logs and see a call from my phone number is showing in the logs again for today (April 20) @ 2:41pm. I'll check and see if anyone was at home when the call came in and find out if it went right in to voicemail again like it did the other day.

Scot

EDIT: I checked when I got home, and the call today @ 2:41pm did indeed go right into the voicemail system without asking for a PIN or anything like that. I've had this phone number for many years now, and the call on Thursday and the call today are the first times I've ever received a call from "myself." It seems a little odd that in all the years I've had this phone number I've never received any calls from "myself" before now.

scots

Post by scots » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:39 pm

Digging this old post back up because this is happening to me again! Someone is calling and spoofing my ooma phone number for their caller ID. I was in the bathroom when the call came in and couldn't answer. When voicemail answered the call it thought I was calling myself. It went right into the voicemail menu, announcing that I had no new messages and whatnot.

This is not a good thing! Someone could spoof my number, call me, then go in and listen to my messages if I had any, change my voicemail PIN, change my outgoing message, etc. The folks at ooma really need to look into this!

tkramer

Post by tkramer » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:27 am

Maybe someone trying to bother you... Check out spoofcard.com
I have had friends call me at work with my home number.

This could easily be used by telesolicitors or stalkers or jerk friends :-)