Have dial tone, but can not make a call.

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
redrocks
Have dial tone, but can not make a call.

Post by redrocks » Sun May 08, 2011 11:18 am

I just received, connected, and setup a OmmaTelo. All lights are blue, have dial tone, yet when I dial a number all I get is silence, no ringing. I can receive calls to my Omma telephone number, yet not make calls. I have called customer service but have received no solution.

thunderbird

Re: Have dial tone, but can not make a call.

Post by thunderbird » Sun May 08, 2011 11:42 am

redrocks wrote:I just received, connected, and setup a OmmaTelo. All lights are blue, have dial tone, yet when I dial a number all I get is silence, no ringing. I can receive calls to my Omma telephone number, yet not make calls. I have called customer service but have received no solution.
Only connect a corded phone to your Ooma Telo phone port for testing. Connect nothing to the Ooma Telo Wall port.

Go into My Ooma and enable the digit calling.

Try dialing *98 1-xxx-xxx-xxxx or *98 xxx-xxx-xxxx number format, even if placing a local call. (All Ooma calls within the USA have no cost).

highq

Post by highq » Sun May 08, 2011 1:25 pm

redrocks wrote:I just received, connected, and setup a OmmaTelo. All lights are blue, have dial tone, yet when I dial a number all I get is silence, no ringing. I can receive calls to my Omma telephone number, yet not make calls. I have called customer service but have received no solution.
Do you fail to place a local call, but get through to Ooma on long-distance?

nn5i

Post by nn5i » Sun May 08, 2011 2:16 pm

highq wrote:Do you fail to place a local call, but get through to Ooma on long-distance?
Probably. That would be expected behavior if he plugged his landline into Ooma's WALL port but hadn't specified landline integration, wouldn't it? He could call only Ooma numbers, or maybe only non-local numbers, unless my somewhat vague understanding is incorrect.

Or maybe that's if he did specify landline integration and didn't plug a working landline into the WALL port.

gnowellsct

Post by gnowellsct » Mon May 09, 2011 5:53 am

Hmmm. My Telo landline installation was plug and play. I *did* go down to the garage and disconnect from the street. I imagine a lot of people forget to do that. I don't know what the consequences would be. Anyhow the Telo Ooma is connected to linksys and a wall jack and all of that works flawlessly. Sound quality on the landline and cordless base connected to landline is superior to the two Oooma handsets which I think is because the Ooma phones are built to the $20 cordless standard (or lower). I have the linksys E4200 feeding the home wi-fi so I don't think wi-fi quality issues are in the signal. GN

tomcat

Post by tomcat » Mon May 09, 2011 6:25 am

gnowellsct:
How are you using landline integration if you disconnected you landline out at the street? Do you have anything plugged into your telo's "WALL" port?

tomcat

Post by tomcat » Mon May 09, 2011 6:38 am

nn5i wrote:
highq wrote:Do you fail to place a local call, but get through to Ooma on long-distance?
Probably. That would be expected behavior if he plugged his landline into Ooma's WALL port but hadn't specified landline integration, wouldn't it? He could call only Ooma numbers, or maybe only non-local numbers, unless my somewhat vague understanding is incorrect.
Actually, that is just opposite. If he specified landline integration and did not plug a landline into the WALL port then I would suspect he could only make long distance calls since only LD calls are sent over the internet. All other calls (local, toll-free) would require the landline.

If he did not select landline integration, then the telo would effectively ignore the landline. Though, I have seen posts that indicate that when configured for standalone with a live landline connected, the telo may freak out and reboot when the landline rings.

nn5i

Post by nn5i » Mon May 09, 2011 6:44 am

Thank you, Tomcat. I think you're right. I never bothered to learn the details of Landline Integration because I thought it was wacky anyway. Apparently Ooma came around to my way of thinking (as all reasonable men must), for new Telos don't have a WALL port.

redrocks

Post by redrocks » Mon May 09, 2011 6:55 am

Thank you for the advice. I still have the same issue, a dial tone but can not make any outgoing calls (local or long-distance). I can receive calls to the ooma number. I have tried a corded phone, tried 10 digit dialing, tried dialing with *98, did not specify landline integration, did not unplug phone line at street, do not have anything plugged into the wall port/jack on the Ooma device, and all lights are blue on the Ooma telo.

Any help would be appreciated.

nn5i

Post by nn5i » Mon May 09, 2011 7:21 am

With all that additional info, Redrocks, it sounds to me as if you have a physically defective Telo. I'd seek a warranty replacement.