New VM email notification not working anymore

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
EA PA
Re: New VM email notification not working anymore

Post by EA PA » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:43 pm

mnappi0606 wrote:Let's talk about math for a minute since my math skills are under attack...

Every Cable company phone offers vm notification as a basic function. So to get the same product from Ooma, premier is required.

Without home phone through the cable company, I am paying $60.00 for direct tv and $50.00 for broadband. Now add Ooma's premier cost $10.00 per month. Total=$120.00 per month. Plus let's not forget about the $200.00 up front cost for Ooma.

I literally just had a cable rep at my door offering me a triple pay package for $80.00 per month locked in for two years. Add an HD DVR for $10.00 per month. Total=$90 per month.

So basically for the next two years, I'm paying an extra $30.00 per month to keep Ooma...

Like I said...this triple play packages are looking better and better. I thought Ooma was my escape from the grasps of the triple play, but removing a basic feature like vm notification makes me rethink their value.

Ooma: BRING BACK VM NOTIFICATION FOR BASIC CUSTOMERS! Can you hear me now?
If you can get a $90 triple play, that is a great deal. And the prices seem to be decreasing for bundles, in some places. I just checked mine and the triple is still $129/mo.

It is an individual payback decision, and depends on the selection of features you are paying for. As an example, I can get cable and internet for about $65/mo. If I then reduce my $65 phone to $13. I get about $52 / mo savings, so payback is quick. At $129/mo bundle vs $78 / mo for basic service plus OOMA (with 200 one time cost), that does not make sense for me anyway.

The more features I add from the cable co, the more it shaves off of the payback per mo as I approach the triple play number. So its an individual cost benefit choice that may benefit some and others it may not.

I am confused by those that buy an OOMA, presumably without doing a cost benefit analysis, and then come into the forum after and complain that they have a poor cost benefit.. ? If you can get a better deal somewhere else, then why come in here and complain about the price? I doubt if it will get any cheaper than 3.5/mo, 13.5 with premier - Telo may come down - who knows.

Please let us know if OOMA caves in to your posts and provides basic customers with free VM features
Customer Since: 12/2010
Telecom Equipment: 1 Telo, 1 Handset, (4) Dect 6 Uniden DECT1580-4WXTPT
IN THE MONEY: 09/2011
Poor Legacy Carrier: Frontier

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:57 pm

mnappi0606 wrote:Every Cable company phone offers vm notification as a basic function.
For ~$30+/month, I'd be surprised if they don't.
mnappi0606 wrote:removing a basic feature like vm notification makes me rethink their value.
No one removed this feature from Basic. Basic never had it. Some Basic subs were getting it for a long while because of a bug.

If you can save money somewhere else, good for you. Just be warned that promotional pricing don't last forever. There are people out there that call in every year, threaten to leave to get a better rate. I, for one, don't want to deal with all that.

I_Ooma_2

Post by I_Ooma_2 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:23 am

huynhl wrote:I'm tired of someone exaggerate the monthly phone service cost of other phone company like $65/month to advertise for Ooma. They said that premier service ooma cost $13/month, the monthly cost of phone comapany just about an half of $65, they also forget the fact that in order to use Omma for $13/month, you have to pay in advance $200 to buy Telo not mention that if Telo not working if it passed guarantee period 1 year, you have to buy another Telo for $200. Do the math.
Not stirring up trouble, but just wanted to add that yes, some of us pay OVER $65/mo for landline service.

My last AT&T bill (and incidentally, my average bill): $72.97
My mother-in-law's last AT&T bill (average): $76.46
My dad's average AT&T bill: around $72.00

As far as the $200 Telo price, obviously the break-even will be quick for me. I also plan to get the extra one year warranty when I sign up for a year of premier service. I can buy a Telo handset from Amazon for $50 if I really want it, and although I think the Telo is unlikely to break after a year, I think the extra year warranty is the best deal, at a potential savings of $200 should my Telo actually croak in the second year of ownership.

tomcat

Post by tomcat » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:59 pm

mnappi0606 wrote:Every Cable company phone offers vm notification as a basic function. So to get the same product from Ooma, premier is required.
For the record, the phone service I have (soon to be "had") through the cable company does not offer VM notification. :)

EA PA

Post by EA PA » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:49 pm

tomcat wrote:
mnappi0606 wrote:Every Cable company phone offers vm notification as a basic function. So to get the same product from Ooma, premier is required.
For the record, the phone service I have (soon to be "had") through the cable company does not offer VM notification. :)
HA! Now that you mention, mine did not either!
Customer Since: 12/2010
Telecom Equipment: 1 Telo, 1 Handset, (4) Dect 6 Uniden DECT1580-4WXTPT
IN THE MONEY: 09/2011
Poor Legacy Carrier: Frontier

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:18 pm

Comcast does but their complete package is no where near Ooma Premier from my perspective and they charge arm/leg for international.

nn5i

Post by nn5i » Sun May 08, 2011 5:27 pm

lbmofo wrote:It is unfortunate but customer service can sometimes and [does] provide misinformation.
True. And when they do, and someone makes a purchase in reliance on that information, it's my belief that the law of agency means Ooma is bound by the statements of its Customer Service representatives, who clearly are agents.

nn5i

Post by nn5i » Sun May 08, 2011 5:37 pm

southsound wrote:You of course realize that if ooma fails you will be the proud owner of a nice paperweight with buttons?
Buttons? His Telo has buttons? Waaaa! I want buttons for my Telo!

nn5i

Post by nn5i » Sun May 08, 2011 5:48 pm

EA PA wrote: ... the prices seem to be decreasing for bundles, in some places.
And would anyone care to guess whether this would be so, if there were no Ooma in the competition?

nn5i

Post by nn5i » Sun May 08, 2011 6:21 pm

If I were mediating this dispute -- thank heavens I'm not -- I would be likely to take into account the following things that seem to me to be true:

(1) The complaining customers exhibit some confusion about what is offered in Core service and in Basic service, mistaking one for the other. They're easy to get confused.

(2) Ooma never promised VM notitication for Basic, but wasn't crystal-clear in making this obvious to people who had read the Core promotions but weren't buying Core systems.

(3) The complainants were a little bit remiss in not checking the details, and Ooma was a little bit remiss in the statements by its agents, who seem to have been as confused as anyone.

(4) The complainants were a little bit damaged (but only a little bit) by the inadvertent inclusion of services later withdrawn, because the (temporary) provision of these services contributed to their decision to keep the devices beyond the return period.

Were I mediating, I'd decide that the complainants were entitled to a brief opportunity to send in the devices for return of their original purchase price, as if they had been purchased recently and were within the return period. I wouldn't say they were entitled to anything else, nor to a return of any periodic fees they had paid in the interim.

Since I'm not mediating, all of my above remarks are just so much hot air, of course -- and because I'm not mediating I'm free to say that to me these complainants sound like people with chips on their shoulders, looking for trivial things to complain about. I'm sure they don't see themselves that way, or intend to be that way.

A parallel case is that of CallerID-with-name. I've had that, free, since buying my Telo a year ago, though I have only Basic service, which isn't supposed to include it. Was it promised? No. Will it be withdrawn one day? Probably. Will I feel sad? A little. Will I feel wronged? Not even slightly; it wasn't promised.