Have dial tone, but can not make a call.

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
murphy
Re: Have dial tone, but can not make a call.

Post by murphy » Mon May 09, 2011 7:34 am

redrocks wrote:Thank you for the advice. I still have the same issue, a dial tone but can not make any outgoing calls (local or long-distance). I can receive calls to the ooma number. I have tried a corded phone, tried 10 digit dialing, tried dialing with *98, did not specify landline integration, did not unplug phone line at street, do not have anything plugged into the wall port/jack on the Ooma device, and all lights are blue on the Ooma telo.

Any help would be appreciated.
If you did not unplug your old phone companies feed where it enters your house and have connected the Telo's Phone jack to your building wall jack, that is a problem. Connect a phone to the Telo's Phone jack and no where else to run your test.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

EA PA

Post by EA PA » Mon May 09, 2011 8:14 am

Try testing your internet service quality using the link below or equivalent. Check the upload / download speeds, quality of service, trend graphs, delay and consistency data. You can post the results for evaluation.

http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html
Customer Since: 12/2010
Telecom Equipment: 1 Telo, 1 Handset, (4) Dect 6 Uniden DECT1580-4WXTPT
IN THE MONEY: 09/2011
Poor Legacy Carrier: Frontier

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon May 09, 2011 9:43 am

redrocks wrote:Thank you for the advice. I still have the same issue, a dial tone but can not make any outgoing calls (local or long-distance). I can receive calls to the ooma number. I have tried a corded phone, tried 10 digit dialing, tried dialing with *98, did not specify landline integration, did not unplug phone line at street, do not have anything plugged into the wall port/jack on the Ooma device, and all lights are blue on the Ooma telo.
Do you get a dial tone that sounds like an AT&T dial tone, or do you get the Ooma dial tone, which is different?

On the face of the Ooma Telo, press the envelope button until the envelope turns yellow. You should hear a voice prompt also if you have the latest firmware update Version: 45073.

If you don't have fireware update 45073 than there is a problem.

Than press the envelpe button again until the Envelope button turns blue. Than try calling out.

If none of this works than either your Ooma Telo is defective or your Ooma profile is not configured correctly, and for both you have to contact Ooma Customer Service:

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

redrocks

Post by redrocks » Mon May 09, 2011 10:27 am

thunderbird wrote:
Do you get a dial tone that sounds like an AT&T dial tone, or do you get the Ooma dial tone, which is different?

On the face of the Ooma Telo, press the envelope button until the envelope turns yellow. You should hear a voice prompt also if you have the latest firmware update Version: 45073.

If you don't have fireware update 45073 than there is a problem.

Than press the envelpe button again until the Envelope button turns blue. Than try calling out.

If none of this works than either your Ooma Telo is defective or your Ooma profile is not configured correctly, and for both you have to contact Ooma Customer Service:

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
Thank you, but unfortunately this did not resolve the issue. I have a Ooma dial tone, with the little jingle. When I press the envelope button, I get "do not disturb is on" or "off". How do I know if I have the fireware update 45073? I just purchased the device new, so I assume it is updated.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon May 09, 2011 11:09 am

redrocks wrote:Thank you, but unfortunately this did not resolve the issue. I have a Ooma dial tone, with the little jingle. When I press the envelope button, I get "do not disturb is on" or "off". How do I know if I have the fireware update 45073? I just purchased the device new, so I assume it is updated.
Firmware version 45073 added the tone or voice prompts to the Ooma Telo. So you have firmware version 45073.

One last thing, have you tried to call out on Ooma Telo line #2?

You Ooma Telo could be defective.

But If I were guessing, I'd guess that your Ooma Profile routing setup is not configured properly. Ooma Customer Support should be able to correct that problem very quickly.

But as a last resort I'd try to get Ooma Customer Support to delete your Ooma profile and start over again, even if you have to get another phone number.

gnowellsct

Post by gnowellsct » Wed May 11, 2011 6:25 am

tomcat wrote:gnowellsct:
How are you using landline integration if you disconnected you landline out at the street? Do you have anything plugged into your telo's "WALL" port?
I see that it is possible to keep the land line operational with telos (from the instructions somewhere).

What I have done is disconnect from the street completely. The old landline wires in the house communicate directly to TELO. The phone plug in TELO can either be connected to a telephone or inserted into a phone connection.

When TELO rj11 line is inserted into the phone connection, all the cordless and corded phones work the same way as they used to do on the land line. You just pick them up and use them. TELO even provides enough power for the ringer to operate on my old push-button phone.

GN

tomcat

Post by tomcat » Wed May 11, 2011 6:53 am

gnowellsct wrote:
tomcat wrote:gnowellsct:
How are you using landline integration if you disconnected you landline out at the street? Do you have anything plugged into your telo's "WALL" port?
I see that it is possible to keep the land line operational with telos (from the instructions somewhere).

What I have done is disconnect from the street completely. The old landline wires in the house communicate directly to TELO. The phone plug in TELO can either be connected to a telephone or inserted into a phone connection.

When TELO rj11 line is inserted into the phone connection, all the cordless and corded phones work the same way as they used to do on the land line. You just pick them up and use them. TELO even provides enough power for the ringer to operate on my old push-button phone.

GN
I misunderstood a previous post of yours. I took it that your ooma was configured for landline integration, yet you disconnected your landline out at the street. I see now that when you stated "landline" you were meaning that you were merely using the wires in your house to distribute your ooma signal. There is a difference, but I know what you mean now. :)