Are Ooma voice call streams encrypted?

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
Pandora
Are Ooma voice call streams encrypted?

Post by Pandora » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:32 pm

I understand Ooma runs Linux and uses an open source VPN to establish control connections. I'm very happy with Ooma service and support at this time.

Can someone tell me if Ooma calls are encrypted (not just the set up for the calls, but the voice data itself)?

I am getting ready to port my landline, but want to know how much security to expect.

Thanks!

Dennis P
Ooma Moderator

Re: Are Ooma voice call streams encrypted?

Post by Dennis P » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:59 pm

Yes, we encrypt the signaling (call setup) and media (voice data) for all calls that go out the Internet.

Pandora

Post by Pandora » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:33 pm

Dennis,

You have been very helpful, and I appreciate it. In another forum we are discussing Ooma and it's encryption. The question comes up that Ooma may encrypt between the hub and the Ooma servers. Is there any encryption or need for encryption between the Ooma servers and the CLEC(s) Ooma uses?

Thanks.

Dennis P
Ooma Moderator

Post by Dennis P » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:15 am

Between our servers and our carrier partners, the stream is not encrypted. Whether they should be depends on your level of paranoia. :) Unfortunately, I don't think any carriers support SRTP, so the only way to do protect the voice stream end-to-end is to stay on-net (ooma-to-ooma).

Pandora

Post by Pandora » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:19 am

Dennis,

Thanks so much for your help. You are definitely the Ooma tech guru of this board! (if I knew how to encode a thumbs up, two of them would be here instead of this text) :)