No Dial Tone

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
stoicof
No Dial Tone

Post by stoicof » Thu May 12, 2011 10:21 am

Hello,

This morning my phone does not have any dial tone. I have reset the modem and OOMA, twice, still no dial tone.
However, my phone (Panasonic) shows the message "Line in use". I only have one phone and I turned it on/off, unplugged it, but still it shows the same message. I even plugged an old conventional phone and still did not get the dial tone. My OOMA Telo machine does not show any unusual light patterns, all seems OK.

Any clues?

Thanks!

Dan

stoicof

Re: No Dial Tone

Post by stoicof » Thu May 12, 2011 10:24 am

One more thing . . . when i checked the Setup screen online, it shows "No landline detected". Thanks . . .

nn5i

Post by nn5i » Thu May 12, 2011 10:30 am

Simplest possibility is a bad cable from the Ooma's PHONE jack to your telephone instrument. Always check the simple things first. If the symptom still exists with another cable, and there's nothing else connected to the Ooma or the instrument, something else is wrong, of course. Naturally you're sure that you've used the PHONE jack and not the WALL jack?

Of course, if you've specified Landline Integration and your landline is dead or not connected to the WALL jack, that could cause it too. You didn't specify whether you selected Landline Integration.
Last edited by nn5i on Thu May 12, 2011 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

ntoy

Post by ntoy » Thu May 12, 2011 10:50 am

stoicof wrote:Hello,

This morning my phone does not have any dial tone. I have reset the modem and OOMA, twice, still no dial tone.
However, my phone (Panasonic) shows the message "Line in use". I only have one phone and I turned it on/off, unplugged it, but still it shows the same message. I even plugged an old conventional phone and still did not get the dial tone. My OOMA Telo machine does not show any unusual light patterns, all seems OK.

Any clues?

Thanks!

Dan

Hello Dan,

Looks like your Ooma is communicating on our network. Are you still having issues?

stoicof

Post by stoicof » Thu May 12, 2011 11:00 am

It just started to work! I did absolutely nothing and the phone rang and now I have dial tone . . . However, the quality of reception is very, very poor (a lot of static on the line) and also I noticed that the caller id is not showing anymore (last night it did show). My version number is 45073.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Thu May 12, 2011 11:56 am

stoicof wrote:It just started to work! I did absolutely nothing and the phone rang and now I have dial tone . . . However, the quality of reception is very, very poor (a lot of static on the line) and also I noticed that the caller id is not showing anymore (last night it did show). My version number is 45073.
I suspect that Norm Toy Ooma moderator "pushed some magic buttons" on his side for you.

Some ideas:
How is your Ooma setup, modem-Ooma-Router, or Modem Router-Ooma?

To give an indication of how your Internet connection is functioning do the following:
Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/. After running click on the advanced tab at lower left side. Go to bottom right side of page that opens and click on "view text". Highlight the text and copy, than paste here in another post.

Another thing that you could try testing with another phone. Preferably a corded single phone connected to the Ooma device's Phone port.

stoicof

Post by stoicof » Thu May 12, 2011 12:24 pm

I have OOMA for over a year and never had (major) issues. This problem started when I first tried to use the phone in the morning. My setup is Modem-OOMA-router.

I've been browsing the forums and the status postings and I noticed that the latest firmware version, 45073, which I have, was supposed to solve many issues, including the caller id problem. Well . . . it seems that this version broke my working caller id. I don't know what buttons were pushed behind the scenes, but something definetly happened between last night and today.
Again, my current situation is that I cannot see the phone number that's calling and (an older issue) I cannot switch calls (caller waiting not working - when I attempt both callers get disconnected).

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Thu May 12, 2011 12:47 pm

stoicof wrote:I have OOMA for over a year and never had (major) issues. This problem started when I first tried to use the phone in the morning. My setup is Modem-OOMA-router.

I've been browsing the forums and the status postings and I noticed that the latest firmware version, 45073, which I have, was supposed to solve many issues, including the caller id problem. Well . . . it seems that this version broke my working caller id. I don't know what buttons were pushed behind the scenes, but something definetly happened between last night and today.
Again, my current situation is that I cannot see the phone number that's calling and (an older issue) I cannot switch calls (caller waiting not working - when I attempt both callers get disconnected).
So the static issue went away?

I'd boot everything, Modem, than when the modem is done booting, the Ooma device, than the router.

If you see no difference, the problem is probably on Ooma's side, so you will have to contact Ooma Customer Suppport:

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

stoicof

Post by stoicof » Fri May 13, 2011 6:13 am

Just a status update: I did not do anything and everything came back later in the day. Something must've happened behind the scenes . . .

mrtim

Post by mrtim » Sun May 29, 2011 4:11 pm

I am experiencing this same problem. Began yesterday. No dial tone only lights on the Ooma telo are the "1" and "2". Power off modem, router, and Ooma for 60seconds - several times. Ethernet lights show data coming into Ooma but nothing else lights up. I'm used to the Ooma giving me a fancy light show at powerup but now the line lights come on immediately followed by nothing.

Box seems dead. Any ideas?