Scout static any fix?

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
marcaronson408
Re: Scout static any fix?

Post by marcaronson408 » Sun May 15, 2011 8:55 am

Just ran another experiment -- interesting results:
  • OOMA via HUB: 725MS
  • OOMA via Scout: 850MS
  • Google Voice: 450MS
All using the same equipment. The connection from the Scout to the HUB is a short, 12" telephone cord. These OOMA delays are way too long. I will open a support ticket.

Bill D

Post by Bill D » Sun May 15, 2011 9:15 am

Marc,

Yuk, an additional 125 ms through the Scout. Another reason its only good use is for VM access.

I just measured the delay through my Hub at 775 ms. I'm in South Florida, area code 954, and my ping time to www3.ooma.com is 100 ms. I suspect your ping time to Ooma is less since you're in Northern CA. If your ping is 50 ms, that would equal the difference between our delay measurements, 775-725.

I sure would like to see Ooma reduce this delay. For over a year it was a pleasure to use Ooma at 400 ms. Let me know on this thread if you learn anything and I'll do the same. There are a few other threads about delay, but I found no solutions on them. There are some folks on those threads claiming very low delay measurements, but its hard to believe them.

Bill

marcaronson408

Post by marcaronson408 » Sun May 15, 2011 11:11 am

Bill, my ping delay shows min=18MS, max=22MS, average=20MS. I issues ping from my windows 7 laptop that was connected via WIFI to my Netgear router. I will provide periodic updates. I have also created any entry on the thread titled Ooma Chronic Audio Delay Problem User’s List

Marc

Bill D

Post by Bill D » Sun May 15, 2011 12:14 pm

Marc,

Good luck and please let me know if you've solved the delay problem. I've followed that thread and I don't think the "telephone company" listed at TNID is relevant, but I really don't know how Ooma routes calls.

Bill

marcaronson408

Post by marcaronson408 » Wed May 18, 2011 7:43 pm

Bill, I'm posting my updates in the other thread but here is a link to my latest update so you don't have to look through the whole thing. I'll keep you updated as things progress...

Marc

Bill D

Post by Bill D » Thu May 19, 2011 10:13 am

Marc,

Thanks for the update. I looked at your post on that other thread and I've tried that same minimizing technique in the past and reached the same conclusion - the delay problem must be related to Ooma call routing.

I must admit some real calls I've been on lately don't seem as bad delay-wise as others, but the 909 test is always bad. I wish I knew how Ooma routes calls, for example -

1. Do all outbound Ooma caller's VOIP packets flow through the same Ooma data center no matter which number is called?
2. Do all inbound Ooma call's VOIP packets flow through the same Ooma data center no matter which number is calling?

Bill

murphy

Post by murphy » Thu May 19, 2011 10:27 am

Bill D wrote:1. Do all outbound Ooma caller's VOIP packets flow through the same Ooma data center no matter which number is called?
2. Do all inbound Ooma call's VOIP packets flow through the same Ooma data center no matter which number is calling?
That would have to be yes to both questions since there is only one data center which is located on the west coast.
There was talk of adding one on the east coast but there has not been an announcement, to my knowledge, that it was implemented.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

Bill D

Post by Bill D » Thu May 19, 2011 12:06 pm

Thanks Murphy,

I saw some posts that seemed to say Ooma call routing was done at the device. That' possible, but it seemed very unlikely.

With one common data center, I believe that all user tests to the 909 number take the same route and go out of Ooma through the same carrier from Ooma to the 909 number destination. I believe we all should get the same basic delay measurement with the addition of our own ping time to the Ooma data center added to that basic measurement.

Do you agree?

Bill