What if hub and router in different locations

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
mgianzero
What if hub and router in different locations

Post by mgianzero » Sun May 22, 2011 10:29 pm

I wanted to move my modem, router, and ooma hub to a different location. However, is there no simple way to have my modem and router in one room and put my hub in a different room without having to run TWO ethernet lines to connect my system together? Is it simply not allowed to put your hub AFTER the router in your setup? This would make things simpler.

You see, my modem and router are in one room. But I wanted my hub in a different room so that it can be connected to my wall phone lines. There is no phone wall jack in that room. Can this not be done simply?

thunderbird

Re: What if hub and router in different locations

Post by thunderbird » Mon May 23, 2011 1:09 am

mgianzero wrote:I wanted to move my modem, router, and ooma hub to a different location. However, is there no simple way to have my modem and router in one room and put my hub in a different room without having to run TWO ethernet lines to connect my system together? Is it simply not allowed to put your hub AFTER the router in your setup? This would make things simpler.

You see, my modem and router are in one room. But I wanted my hub in a different room so that it can be connected to my wall phone lines. There is no phone wall jack in that room. Can this not be done simply?
Many poeple connect their Ooma Hub or Ooma Telo behind their router. I have had mine connected behind my router from almost day one without probems.

A small number of people will have Quality of Service problems connected that way. If you should have QoS problems just post them here, and someone will advise you how to make adjustments to correct the problems.

EA PA

Post by EA PA » Mon May 23, 2011 4:10 am

I am not sure if you are stating that you have a Cat5 available or not - you are saying you have no access to cable in that room? or you have 1 and do not want to run a second?

Anyway, if you have access to one at your desired destination maybe you could use a product like this. I have not used it, but it looks like a good solution for me because I have am fortunate to have a single cat 5 available in every room.

http://www.amazon.com/Intellinet-Modula ... 921&sr=8-8
Customer Since: 12/2010
Telecom Equipment: 1 Telo, 1 Handset, (4) Dect 6 Uniden DECT1580-4WXTPT
IN THE MONEY: 09/2011
Poor Legacy Carrier: Frontier

nn5i

Post by nn5i » Mon May 23, 2011 4:57 am

EA PA wrote:I am not sure if you are stating that you have a Cat5 available or not - you are saying you have no access to cable in that room? or you have 1 and do not want to run a second?

Anyway, if you have access to one at your desired destination maybe you could use a product like this. I have not used it, but it looks like a good solution for me because I have am fortunate to have a single cat 5 available in every room.

http://www.amazon.com/Intellinet-Modula ... 921&sr=8-8
The device will work fine for a 10/100 Ethernet connection, because 10/100 Ethernet uses only four of the eight wires in the cable, and the device uses the other four. If, however, your system uses Gigabit Ethernet, the device cannot be used at all, because Gigabit uses all eight wires of the cable.

The best solution, costing nothing if you already have a single cable, is simply to place the Ooma device behind the router; this has other advantages too, and doesn't make your whole network dependent on the Ooma device.

EA PA

Post by EA PA » Mon May 23, 2011 5:43 am

Agree, the behind router solution is superior. In this configuration, 1 single Cat 5 will suffice with no need for this device.

In the M/O/R configuration as was originally asked, the device pair will allow a single Cat 5 to be used at non-intergalactic speeds. Personally, I have no access to a GB ISP, I would be jealous to even know that this is available anywhere. I can’t seem to get over 10 Mbps from my provider despite waving a fist full of hundreds. At GB speeds from router to modem via Ooma, coupled with my ISP choke point, my home would quickly fill with aborted data packets. Fiber? not in MY neighborhood... :(
Customer Since: 12/2010
Telecom Equipment: 1 Telo, 1 Handset, (4) Dect 6 Uniden DECT1580-4WXTPT
IN THE MONEY: 09/2011
Poor Legacy Carrier: Frontier

mgianzero

Post by mgianzero » Tue May 24, 2011 12:37 pm

I guess I need this spelled out for me. What exactly do you mean by "behind" the router as opposed to "in front of" the router? I think the words "before" and "after" make more sense to me.

Let me explain what I have:
ISP (from wall jack) -> modem -> hub -> router -> computers
For this configuration the modem plugs into "modem" port on hub and router plugs into "home" port on hub. This works perfectly!

But I want to move my hub to the kitchen (a different room). The cleanest way to do this would be to put the hub "after" the router and not "before" it so as to eliminate the need to run TWO ethernet lines into my kitchen. But I don't know how to do this.

I tried this configuration:
ISP (wall jack) -> modem -> router -> hub -> phone and I tried plugging my router into both the "modem" port and the "home" port on the hub and NEITHER configuration worked. I still got a dial tone but I could not call out or receive a call. My LAN b/w my computers still worked fine in this configuration.

My router is an old Netgear g router (WGT624) router so I doubt I'm running a1GB ethernet. I also tried it with a new router (Netgear N600 duel band gigabit router) and it doesn't work in either configuration with that router as well.

Ideas?

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Tue May 24, 2011 1:00 pm

mgianzero:
With your setup connected Modem-Router-Ooma, (the connecting from the router is from a router LAN port to the Ooma device's Internet port), temporarily connect a network cable from the Ooma device's Home port to a wired LAN port in a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer if on. Reboot the computer. Type http://172.27.35.1 in the computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages opens. Find Connection Type and set to Automatic. Click on Update.

Reboot the Modem, when the Modem is done booting, reboot the Router, when the Router is done booting, reboot the Ooma device. Test.

mgianzero

Post by mgianzero » Wed May 25, 2011 5:15 am

thunderbird wrote:mgianzero:
With your setup connected Modem-Router-Ooma, (the connecting from the router is from a router LAN port to the Ooma device's Internet port), temporarily connect a network cable from the Ooma device's Home port to a wired LAN port in a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer if on. Reboot the computer. Type http://172.27.35.1 in the computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages opens. Find Connection Type and set to Automatic. Click on Update.

Reboot the Modem, when the Modem is done booting, reboot the Router, when the Router is done booting, reboot the Ooma device. Test.
So what you're saying is connect the hub after the router from the router's LAN port to the "home" port of the hub and leave the "modem" port unattached, correct? Then why do you say "temporarily" connect this wire? Afterward the rebooting process are you suggesting I disconnect this wire? Then how does the hub connect to the router?

Sorry if I'm being slow here but I've tried almost every combination I can think of and nothing seemed to work. I was successful in logging into my hub and noticed the automatic setting for connection type was already set correctly. The only thing I didn't do is reboot the modem, router and hub in that order. I can just unplug each device and replug them in order to reboot them. Correct?

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Wed May 25, 2011 6:40 am

mgianzero wrote:
thunderbird wrote:mgianzero:

So what you're saying is connect the hub after the router from the router's LAN port to the "home" port of the hub and leave the "modem" port unattached, correct? Then why do you say "temporarily" connect this wire? Afterward the rebooting process are you suggesting I disconnect this wire? Then how does the hub connect to the router?

Sorry if I'm being slow here but I've tried almost every combination I can think of and nothing seemed to work. I was successful in logging into my hub and noticed the automatic setting for connection type was already set correctly. The only thing I didn't do is reboot the modem, router and hub in that order. I can just unplug each device and replug them in order to reboot them. Correct?
Modem port is the Internet port. Connect the Router LAN port with a network cable to the Modem port.
After doing any setting changes in Ooma Setup, most people don't connect anything to the Ooma device Home port. They use their Router LAN ports instead.

It is very important to reboot the Modem, when the Modem is done booting, reboot the Router, when the Router is done booting, reboot the Ooma device. Reboot means Un-power or remove power, than wait for two or three minute, the re-power each device in the order given above.

mgianzero

Post by mgianzero » Mon May 30, 2011 7:24 pm

Okay. I did as described and it worked! It just takes a few minutes for the modem and then the router and then the hub to boot in sequence.

So why does Ooma describe the installation ONLY with the configuration of modem -> hub -> router when it's really easier and more versatile to connect it as modem -> router -> hub?

Then never even suggest that you can change the order by placing the hub after the router.