Uverse remote tvs frezze up when Ooma connected to Gateway

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
johnk
Uverse remote tvs frezze up when Ooma connected to Gateway

Post by johnk » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:25 pm

I installed my Ooma and scout tonight with the assistance of Ooma Tech Support, thanks Louis you were great! I have U-verse in my house, VOIP, TV and Internet. As soon as I plugged in the Ooma to the residential gateway my 2 remote tv's, are freezing up constantly. You can not get a picture from the dvr at all. As soon as I disconnect the phone line that goes from the gateway to the ooma wall input the picture problem is solved. Any advice on what I can do to resolve?

sgs

Re: Uverse remote tvs frezze up when Ooma connected to Gateway

Post by sgs » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:50 am

I have U-verse TV and internet (1.5/1) and I have one TV, PC, ooma, and another VOIP ATA hanging off the RGV. I have not had any problems with any device. I have not done any special configuration for ooma, just connected it to RGV and it came up.

You mentioned phone line from gateway to ooma. I have an ethernet cable going from one of the local ethernet port to the modem port on ooma core. I don't have anything connected to the phone ports on gateway, may be because I don't have uverse voice.

johnk

Post by johnk » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:30 pm

I had ATT come out today and they told me Ooma is not compatible with their service. I find this hard to believe since others are using the Uverse service it appears from reading these forums. My TV downstairs works fine as it is plugged directly to a port in the RG. As soon as I plug in the phone line from the Ooma box into the line 1/2 port on the RG the tv's that are upstairs connected thru coax start to freeze up to a point the TV is unwatchable. The ATT tech and I watched the errors on the upstairs tv's on his laptop. They would clear as soon as the ooma box was disconnected. I'm hoping someone may have some advice on this.

Thanks!

number9

Post by number9 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:49 pm

Hi Johnk,
This won't help you much, but, I have u-verse with one t.v. and everything is fine.
Plays PRS guitars

sgs

Post by sgs » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:43 pm

johnk wrote:I had ATT come out today and they told me Ooma is not compatible with their service. I find this hard to believe since others are using the Uverse service it appears from reading these forums. My TV downstairs works fine as it is plugged directly to a port in the RG. As soon as I plug in the phone line from the Ooma box into the line 1/2 port on the RG the tv's that are upstairs connected thru coax start to freeze up to a point the TV is unwatchable. The ATT tech and I watched the errors on the upstairs tv's on his laptop. They would clear as soon as the ooma box was disconnected. I'm hoping someone may have some advice on this.

Thanks!
I don't think you should connect ooma box to line 1/2 port on RG. I believe these ports are for Uverse voice. I have RG's local ethernet port connected to ooma hub's modem port and it works fine.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:47 pm

I don't know anything about uverse but what SGS says makes sense.
Plug ooma in as you would a pc, not in uverse voice connection.

Wayne

number9

Post by number9 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:18 pm

Johnk,
I apologize for not giving more info on the U-Verse set up.

This is how I have mine set up with the 2Wire RG unit. On the back of the RG there are four (4) ports, It says local ethernet, I have an ethernet cable coming from port two (2) and it goes into the modem port on the back of the ooma hub.

I hope this helps.
Plays PRS guitars

Wilsonium

Post by Wilsonium » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:23 am

I too have been having trouble with my AT&T UVerse when my original hub is connected to my RG. With my Ooma hub connected it was somehow overwhelming the RG to the point of dropping frames on the TV. I have all 3 services - voice, 3 TVs and internet. I've had techs come out and they've not been able to pinpoint the problem and I'm just now isolating my hub. With my Telo connected, all is fine but when I connect the hub, it's a mess. The technicians are saying it's a bandwidth issue and have not even considered it is my Ooma device. Also we're going to try a router behind router to see if that doesn't help the situation. The bandwidth issue is bogus as I've had my Ooma disconnected and had all 3 TVs and heavy downloads from all my computers and it's smooth sailing. There's just something about the Ooma that is trashing the packets on the inside network.

Can someone at Ooma comment on this?

That said, my Telo plays well in the neighborhood with out any issues.

Wilsonium

Post by Wilsonium » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:27 am

Oh... forgot to mention that yes, there are phone connections between the RG and the Ooma device. The phone ports on the RG provide the dial tone from UVerse Voice and are just like plugging into your wall jack for dial tone. If you're using landline integration, you need to use this connection in addition to the ethernet connection.

Leeway

Post by Leeway » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:41 am

I have U-Verse. I have hub and Telo along with 3 TV's and a couple of computers. I do not have any problems at all with all of that.

I do NOT use the U-verse phone connection in any way. Everything I have is plugged directly into either the RG or my Netgear switch.

The phone port on the back of the RG is strictly for U-Talk and nothing to do with other phone systems.

I don't have a telephone attached to the hub at all. My hub is connected to the wall jack and all of my wall jacks are active. I have a cordless base in the family room and cordless handsets elsewhere.

Donna