Port second number to same Telo. How do I...?

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
Pazium
Port second number to same Telo. How do I...?

Post by Pazium » Fri May 27, 2011 8:01 am

I have another number on Vonage in addition to my ooma Telo system. I don't want to lose that number but I want to dump Vonage. Can I port that Vonage number to my ooma telo?
Thanx.
PZM

murphy

Re: Port second number to same Telo. How do I...?

Post by murphy » Fri May 27, 2011 8:53 am

Pazium wrote:I have another number on Vonage in addition to my ooma Telo system. I don't want to lose that number but I want to dump Vonage. Can I port that Vonage number to my ooma telo?
Thanx.
PZM
Yes but you must be a Premier subscriber to have two numbers on a Telo.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri May 27, 2011 9:04 am

If you have basic/core/free service, porting a number over will make you lose the current Ooma number.
If you don't want that, like murphy says, get Premier or buy another Ooma and port your number to there.

Pazium

Post by Pazium » Fri May 27, 2011 9:15 am

I am a Premier customer.
So how do I get the other number over to my Telo?
It sounds like it is simple.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri May 27, 2011 9:18 am

Login to my.ooma.com

Add Ons, Number Port

https://my.ooma.com/products/addons_details/port

Once process started, keep the Vonage account active until port is done. Then call them to make sure your account is cancelled there.

You can check your port status here once initiated: https://my.ooma.com/porting_status

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri May 27, 2011 9:37 am

Call Customer Support after you initiate the port and make sure they understand that the port is to be a second number and not a replacement for your existing number.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

Pazium

Post by Pazium » Fri May 27, 2011 1:09 pm

ok. done and done.
it may take only a couple of weeks because it is the proider i had when i first ported over to ooma.
Thanx.

Cyberchat

Post by Cyberchat » Fri May 27, 2011 2:42 pm

We used OOMA to consolidate two telephone numbers into one service plan. I reduced our monthly costs from about $80.00 to about $10.00 (using OOMA's Premier plan) for a monthly savings of about $70.00. So, our payback for the purchase of the OOMA Telo and companion Handset was less than five months.

To fully utilize both telephone numbers you'll need to have the OOMA handset. Without the OOMA handset you will not be able to make two concurrent outgoing calls or concurrently receive two incoming calls even if you have multiple non-OOMA handsets. Without the OOMA handset you will be able to receive incoming calls for both numbers but not concurrently.

I was able utilize my existing telephone handsets, wired and wireless, in conjunction with the OOMA handset without any problems. But one feature, to be able to flash the handset and answer another incoming call and then to be able to switch (flash) back and forth between the two calls, can't be done with non-OOMA handsets.

Voice quality is very good and some of the OOMA features (like multi-ring) are really convenient and weren't available in our prior service. OOMA's technical support was very responsive when I had a few questions about consolidating two telephone numbers into one OOMA service plan. Its operating without any problems.
First year: Modem-->OomaTelo-->Router
Now: Modem-->Router-->OomaTelo
Ooma Premier, two phone numbers
Ooma Handset
AT&T DECT-6.0 two-line base with four remotes & headset

Pazium

Post by Pazium » Fri May 27, 2011 6:49 pm

yep I already have two ooma telo handsets. The vonage line was for a fax machine I got rid of.
I am using HP eAIO (eAll-In-One) printers for any faxing needs and its all broadband too. Anyways, I rarely fax these days.