Does Ooma only work with a cable modem??

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
tspicchiali
Does Ooma only work with a cable modem??

Post by tspicchiali » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:17 pm

Or can I use it on a Bellsouth modem that uses a phone line?

murphy

Re: Does Ooma only work with a cable modem??

Post by murphy » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:26 pm

tspicchiali wrote:Or can I use it on a Bellsouth modem that uses a phone line?
It sounds like you are talking about DSL. Many people use Ooma successfully with a DSL line.
Check the requirements for your DSL line.
You may be on a bundled package that requires a phone line to be integrated with the DSL line.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

tspicchiali

Post by tspicchiali » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:39 pm

I do know that the phone line goes into the modem so I can get internet for the PC, and it looks like I would have to connect the phone line to the Ooma. I was wondering how that works.

Sorry I am not very tech savvy. I only speak tech in layman's terms.
:)

highq

Post by highq » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:03 pm

tspicchiali wrote:I do know that the phone line goes into the modem so I can get internet for the PC, and it looks like I would have to connect the phone line to the Ooma. I was wondering how that works.

If you can make a phone call, then that same phone line also has to "go into" a handset as well as the modem. How does it get to two places?

Please also describe all the possible connections on your modem, whether in use or not.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:44 pm

tspicchiali wrote:I do know that the phone line goes into the modem so I can get internet for the PC, and it looks like I would have to connect the phone line to the Ooma. I was wondering how that works.

Un-power (remove power from) the Modem, the Ooma Telo, the Router and computer. The connection will be Modem-Ooma-Router (If you have a router)-Computer.

The DSL phone line from the street is connected to the Input of the DSL modem. The plug looks like a regular phone line plug. The plug is slightly smaller than a network cable plug.

The output of the Modem is connected to the "Internet" port of the Ooma Telo with a network cable. The network cable has a larger sized plug on each end and won't plug into a phone port.

Then the output of the Ooma Telo "Home" port is connected to the Router (if you have a Router), or to a computer using another network cable.

If you have a router, The computer and other LAN devices are connected to the Router LAN ports.

The phone is plugged into the "Phone" port on the back of the Ooma Telo.

When everything is connected, re-power the modem. When the modem is done powering, re-power the Ooma Telo. When the Ooma Telo is done powering (If powering the Ooma Telo for the first time, it may take up to 20 minutes), repower the Router (if you have a router). Then repower the computer.