Multi Ring to multiple cells

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
forceman
Re: Multi Ring to multiple cells

Post by forceman » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:27 pm

I have officially ported my old number to Ooma. Now my first number is now my 2nd number.
Now I called to my 2nd phone and it does not do the forward like the first number.
In fact, when you do the phone forward, you do have a choice to forward 1st as well as the 2nd phone to a different number.
This is great as I am multi-ring to Google from my 1st number which forwards to my cell phone.
If I need to call home from my cell phone, I'll call the 2nd phone and it will not forward to my cell phone as the 1st number do.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:07 pm

Yes, as I just remembered, you can setup unique forwarding number for each of the numbers in your account.

viewtopic.php?t=8776#p61410
Bobby B wrote:You can now setup unique forwarding numbers for each of the numbers on a single device in Preferences->Calling
But, even if you forward an Ooma number to your cell, you still can call your Ooma number using that cell (won't go to your cell VM).

forceman

Post by forceman » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:18 pm

Well, I multi-ring to my Google phone, then have Google forwarding 2 cell phones.
When you call from one of the cell phones, Ooma will not ring, however, both cell phones will ring though.
So, I solved the problem by calling to the 2nd line.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:41 pm

forceman wrote:Well, I multi-ring to my Google phone, then have Google forwarding 2 cell phones.
When you call from one of the cell phones, Ooma will not ring, however, both cell phones will ring though.
So, I solved the problem by calling to the 2nd line.
You mean the other cell phone rings. The cell used to call doesn't ring. I guess GV knows not to ring it.
But I don't understand why Ooma won't ring though while GV multiring works.

In any case, if you didn't have a 2nd line, the workaround would be:
Make it so when your cell calls your GV, get direct access to GV VM. Then dial your Ooma from GV. This would ring your Ooma.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:25 am

Checked this out further. Turns out, if you call your Ooma that multi-rings your GV from any number added to your GV, Ooma would not ring but GV multi-ring still happens.

I also found out another easier workaround for your situation (without your Ooma 2nd number solution) is to forward your GV to your Ooma number as well. So, Ooma multi-rings your GV, your GV forwards to 2 cells AND your Ooma. Then when calling your Ooma from one of your cells, Ooma rings as well as the other cell. A bit of side effect on this is that, when your Ooma is called from a number not added in your GV, your Ooma will have 2 incoming calls at the same time, hence call waiting beeps can be heard while ringing.

A bit of a side note: I found out if you have multi-ring enabled, GV will not verify your Ooma number successfully when trying to to add an Ooma number to GV if you answer using your Ooma. If you answer with multi-ring'ed phone, and input the verification code, it would work. If you setup forward all, answering forwarded call and inputting GV verfiication code also works.

forceman

Post by forceman » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:29 pm

Thanks for your information. I think my 2nd line solution is the most simple one.

sherrondee

Post by sherrondee » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:19 am

Yeah, I added a number on GV to be forwarded to when the home Ooma rings. When calling either of our Ooma numbers a recorded voice answers saying "to access this account enter your four digit access code." We have tried all the four digit codes it may be but we don't even know if the account is for GV or Ooma or what.

Please advise,
BD

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:44 am

sherrondee wrote:Yeah, I added a number on GV to be forwarded to when the home Ooma rings. When calling either of our Ooma numbers a recorded voice answers saying "to access this account enter your four digit access code." We have tried all the four digit codes it may be but we don't even know if the account is for GV or Ooma or what.

Please advise,
BD
I think this is what's happening.... You are calling your Ooma number from one of the phones added to your GV account. In this case (see my post above), your Ooma will not ring but multi-ring should still happen. Multi-ring should work as expected (your Ooma will also ring) if you call your Ooma from a number that's not added to your GV account.

However, in your case, even mutli-ring is not happening because the GV setting for your phone that you are calling from has "Direct access to voicemail when calling your Google number from this phone?" enabled. To make the multi-ring happen, turn that off (disable, or set to No).

The PIN prompt you are hearing is from GV. I think your GV Advanced Settings for the phone number you are calling from is "Direct access to voicemail when calling your Google number from this phone?" Yes, PIN required. If PIN not required, then you'd get to your GV VM without having to enter a PIN.

Here is a post on "How to setup Google Voice:" viewtopic.php?t=13383#p93077