Two lines with Hub and Scout

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
tjnamtiw
Two lines with Hub and Scout

Post by tjnamtiw » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:30 pm

I've been an Ooma Premier subscriber for several years with no problems with the system. I did have MANY problems with the AT&T Gateway however that I upgraded to. As part of the troubleshooting of that thing, I ran a dedicated DSL line from my service box to my Gateway and disconnected all the house wiring from AT&T. I connected all those wires together and feed them by running a line from the Ooma Hub to a wall jack. All is well after I threw the AT&T Gateway in the trash and used a commercial Motorola Gateway. :D

By doing the above, it appears that I have no way of using the Scout for some of the Premier features such as receiving a call on the second line while the first line is busy. Given my wiring setup, is this true or am I missing something? If I plug the Scout into any house outlet and power it up, I get four red lights across the bottom and the clear tab is red. I get a dial tone as usual.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tom

lbmofo

Re: Two lines with Hub and Scout

Post by lbmofo » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:40 pm

Scouts need the HPNA signal via Hub's "wall" port.

You can mix this signal with your Ooma dialtone (just combine the "wall" port and the "phone" port before feeding into your walljack).

To combine the dialtone and HPNA signal, you can use a duplex splitter.

Examples:
At any outlet, you can plug in a phone and/or a Scout (Scout's "wall" port connected to your walljack).

tjnamtiw

Post by tjnamtiw » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:51 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I left out something that may be important. :cry:

I now take the 'wall' port and run it into a splitter. From that splitter I go to the wall socket AND a cordless phone, which is my primary line. Nothing is connected to the 'phone' port on the Hub.

Will your instructions still work or should I somehow relocate/isolate my cordless phone?

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:07 pm

tjnamtiw wrote:Thanks for the quick reply. I left out something that may be important. :cry:

I now take the 'wall' port and run it into a splitter. From that splitter I go to the wall socket AND a cordless phone, which is my primary line. Nothing is connected to the 'phone' port on the Hub.

Will your instructions still work or should I somehow relocate/isolate my cordless phone?
If I am understanding you correctly, you are using a splitter to plug a phone base into the Ooma "phone" port before feeding the Ooma dialtone into the house walljack? If so, no problem. One of the ways to to mix the HPNA signal with Ooma dialtone is to just plug another one of these duplex splitter into the walljack you are currently feeding the Ooma dialtone to. Use one port to plug the Ooma dialtone into (as you are doing now) and use the other port to connect to Hub's "wall" port.

tjnamtiw

Post by tjnamtiw » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm

Yep, you understood my explanation. Now if I can just get my wife to 'understand' me...... :shock:

Looks like a trip to RadioShack is in order. Thanks! I'll feed back for posterity what happens.

Tom

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:34 pm

tjnamtiw wrote:Yep, you understood my explanation. Now if I can just get my wife to 'understand' me...... :shock:

Looks like a trip to RadioShack is in order. Thanks! I'll feed back for posterity what happens.

Tom
Home Depot has them too for better pricing. Fry's is best if you have one around.

tjnamtiw

Post by tjnamtiw » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:45 pm

Nope, we be in the boonies, dontcha know!!!?

tjnamtiw

Post by tjnamtiw » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:47 pm

I see you're in my favorite city! Spent some time in Bremerton thanks to Uncle Sam's Navy and enjoyed every minute of the area, especially the Peninsula.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:21 pm

This time of the year, it is great here (supposed to be right after 7/4?); still crossing fingers.
I guess some parts of NJ is kind of boonies? :)

tjnamtiw

Post by tjnamtiw » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:13 pm

I did what you told me to do and SUCCESS!!!! Thanks for the info. I am back in business.