Top Row Blinking - No dialtone - What to do?

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
Jacqbaz
Top Row Blinking - No dialtone - What to do?

Post by Jacqbaz » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:43 pm

I switched today from Comcast to Uverse. My internet is working fine. Ooma was working fine with Comcast internet. I have a line going from Plug Link (plugged into wall outlet - allows us to have internet at desktop) going in to Ooma "to internet" at the back of the Ooma unit. The number 2, the trash can and the envelope buttons are solid blue. The top row - volume and next two buttons are blinking blue. Nothing else is lit. When I attempt a call, I get a busy signal rather than the Ooma dial tone.

I didn't re-register the unit or anything similar. I just unplugged it from the Cable equipment upstairs and plugged it in the Uverse equipment downstairs.

What do I need to do to get service?

mschatzabel

Re: Top Row Blinking - No dialtone - What to do?

Post by mschatzabel » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:02 pm

I'm having the same problem all of a sudden. Did anyone get back to you?

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:10 pm

mschatzabel:
How is your equipment configured? Modem-Ooma device-router or Modem-router-Ooma device?

Did you reboot everything, starting with modem, than next device, than next device as you have your system configured.

Something else to try:
1. Try connecting the Ooma Telo behind (LAN side of) the router, by connecting to one of the four router ports to the Ooma Telo Internet port. (Modem-Router-Ooma Telo). Plug nothing into the Ooma Telo Home port.
2. Cold boot the Modem, than Router, than Ooma Telo.

3. After this is accomplished, and if the Ooma Telo doesn’t come alive:
a. Make sure that a computer that is plugged into the router, can access the Internet. (If not the problem is probably with the modem or router.)
b. Temporarily access your Ooma Telo "home port" by plugging in a patch (network) cable from the Ooma Telo home port to a computer’s network card port. Sometimes you have to restart your computer after installing the patch cable, so that a proper connection occurs.
c. Type http://setup.ooma.com in you browser address window and hit enter. The “Ooma Setup” window opens.
d. In the left hand Navigation window, select “Network”.
e. Under “Network Settings” go to network connection: select the down arrow with your mouse and select “Automatic” (if not already configured to Automatic).
f. Enter the following:
i. Under “Modem Port MAC Address”, select Use Built in:
ii. Select the Update button.
g. Do a “cold boot” of the router.
h. After the router cold boot, do a “cold boot” of the Ooma Telo.
Try it and good luck.

zten

Post by zten » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:26 am

I never saw any more replies on this topic but I wanted to close the loop with my observation. I saw the exact same failure mode a couple weeks ago. I rebooted everything a couple times, still nothing. Then while pulling my hair out thinking "that's it, this is the 2nd time in 9 months that this thing has died on me, i need to go to Comcast VOIP" it all the sudden started working again..... It was about 15 minutes after the last re-boot that it started working.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:20 pm

zten wrote:I never saw any more replies on this topic but I wanted to close the loop with my observation. I saw the exact same failure mode a couple weeks ago. I rebooted everything a couple times, still nothing. Then while pulling my hair out thinking "that's it, this is the 2nd time in 9 months that this thing has died on me, i need to go to Comcast VOIP" it all the sudden started working again..... It was about 15 minutes after the last re-boot that it started working.
Thanks for the information. Everytime someone like you posts your successes, it helps everyone. :D

Calis

Post by Calis » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:11 pm

Thanks for the information. Everytime someone like you posts your successes, it helps everyone.
So, his success was to give up and decide to switch to another product when it magically began to work again. Not sure how that helps anyone.

anakin144

Post by anakin144 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:48 pm

I am having the same issue also with AT&T Uverse. I've tried all kinds of configurations of cables and can't seem to get the logo to light up and all of the top row buttons keep flashing. When I sent Ooma an email they replied and said they called the number and it rang until the voice mail picked up so they sent me a message that said they think it is working. voice mail shows up online but I can't access anything through the Ooma device. If anyone knows something that will work please help. Thanks.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:15 pm

anakin144 wrote:I am having the same issue also with AT&T Uverse. I've tried all kinds of configurations of cables and can't seem to get the logo to light up and all of the top row buttons keep flashing. When I sent Ooma an email they replied and said they called the number and it rang until the voice mail picked up so they sent me a message that said they think it is working. voice mail shows up online but I can't access anything through the Ooma device. If anyone knows something that will work please help. Thanks.
Remove power from your Modem, Router, Ooma and computer.
With your Ooma device's Internet port connected to one of your Router LAN ports with a network cable, next access Ooma Setup, with a network cable connected from the Ooma device's Home port to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if Wi-Fi is turned on in the computer. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, Repower the Router. (If you have a Modem/Router, the Modem and Router steps are combined). When the Router is done booting, repower the Ooma device, then repower the computer. If the Ooma device starts normally, stop here. But if it doesn’t, type http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages opens. Click on Internet at the left side. At Connection Type click on the down arrow and select Dynamic (DHCP). Click on Update Device at the bottom of the page. Remove power from your Modem, Router, Ooma and computer. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, Repower the Router. (If you have a Modem/Router, the Modem and Router steps are combined). When the Router is done booting, repower the Ooma device, then repower the computer. This setting should force an Ooma device connection.

anakin144

Post by anakin144 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:27 pm

Changing the DHCP setting did not make any difference. When the Ooma is booting up I only get a couple of flashes on the lights next to the "To Internet" port. I can't help but think maybe the Ooma is being blocked by a firewall or other setting in the AT&T Modem/router. Ooma came back and asked that I check the speed and jitter. DL speed=11.52Mbps, UL speed=1.47, ping=45ms, jitter = 1ms, and packet loss was 0%. I did have a new modem/router brought in from AT&T not too long ago. I'm not sure if the Ooma ever worked after they switched to the new device. I don't use the Ooma phone that often so I can't be sure. Any other advice? thanks.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:51 pm

anakin144 wrote:Changing the DHCP setting did not make any difference. When the Ooma is booting up I only get a couple of flashes on the lights next to the "To Internet" port. I can't help but think maybe the Ooma is being blocked by a firewall or other setting in the AT&T Modem/router. Ooma came back and asked that I check the speed and jitter. DL speed=11.52Mbps, UL speed=1.47, ping=45ms, jitter = 1ms, and packet loss was 0%. I did have a new modem/router brought in from AT&T not too long ago. I'm not sure if the Ooma ever worked after they switched to the new device. I don't use the Ooma phone that often so I can't be sure. Any other advice? thanks.
Is there any chances that you could take your Ooma device to a relative's or friend's home and connect it to their router to see if it boots all of the way up?