Problems calling from Skype or Google Voice

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
krutsch
Problems calling from Skype or Google Voice

Post by krutsch » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:34 pm

Hello,

I am having little luck with my Ooma Telo. I have had this thing setup for quite a while, but rarely used it to receive calls - mostly used it for outgoing conference calls.

I have setup my line to be a forwarded number for Google Voice (not using the Google Voice Extensions, just to forward calls to my alternate / virtual number).

What I am noticing is that most, but not all, calls made to my Google Voice number simply do NOT ring the Ooma Telo. Once in a while, calls will get through, but it's about one in five?

Also, when I call my Ooma line directly using Skype Out, the Ooma Telo never rings - it just goes to voicemail after ringing six times (that's where I have the voicemail delay set).

Since my GV number is my business line and I work with a number of folks via Skype, Ooma is basically worthless for me, at this point.

Is anyone else having this problem?

I called technical support, but they basically just called my line (which did ring) and then claimed that everything was working fine (you know, as in '...you're holding it wrong...').

Very frustrated with this device...

gotok

Re: Problems calling from Skype or Google Voice

Post by gotok » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:59 pm

I also had problems with Google voice and Telo. If you are like me, you have been assigned a second number which is configured to be your "Google Voice Virtual Number" or GVN. You need to go to your Google Voice setup and add this number to the phones you want to ring when someone calls your Google Voice number. Your main Telo number is probably in you Google Phone list already but it won't work so you can delete it. Alternatively, if you don't want or need a second number, you can ask to have the second number removed from your account. Then your main Telo number will work with Google Voice. That is what I did.

southsound

Post by southsound » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:21 pm

krutsch wrote:Hello,

I am having little luck with my Ooma Telo. I have had this thing setup for quite a while, but rarely used it to receive calls - mostly used it for outgoing conference calls.

I have setup my line to be a forwarded number for Google Voice (not using the Google Voice Extensions, just to forward calls to my alternate / virtual number).

What I am noticing is that most, but not all, calls made to my Google Voice number simply do NOT ring the Ooma Telo. Once in a while, calls will get through, but it's about one in five?

Also, when I call my Ooma line directly using Skype Out, the Ooma Telo never rings - it just goes to voicemail after ringing six times (that's where I have the voicemail delay set).

Since my GV number is my business line and I work with a number of folks via Skype, Ooma is basically worthless for me, at this point.

Is anyone else having this problem?

I called technical support, but they basically just called my line (which did ring) and then claimed that everything was working fine (you know, as in '...you're holding it wrong...').

Very frustrated with this device...
I have been using "naked" Google Voice for over a year now with no problems. I have two ooma numbers on my Telo - the first is 360 xxx-x380 and the second is 360 xxx-x360. I use two GV numbers - one is personal and is set to ring my x380 number. The other is for our non-profit corporation and rings my x360 number. The x360 number rings with two short bursts so I can tell them apart and answer in the appropriate way. I do not use ooma's voice mail since GV offers the same features and more. I have not had a problem with this arrangement. I do use the feature that requires me to press 1 to take the call as both GV numbers ring my Telo and cell phones. For me, the system is flawless. It should work just as you desire. Not sure what the problem is, but ooma and GV work well together. For those who are interested, I do have premier but I chose not to use GVE because I wanted to have two GV numbers ringing two ooma numbers.
gotok wrote:I also had problems with Google voice and Telo. If you are like me, you have been assigned a second number which is configured to be your "Google Voice Virtual Number" or GVN. You need to go to your Google Voice setup and add this number to the phones you want to ring when someone calls your Google Voice number. Your main Telo number is probably in you Google Phone list already but it won't work so you can delete it. Alternatively, if you don't want or need a second number, you can ask to have the second number removed from your account. Then your main Telo number will work with Google Voice. That is what I did.
The OP is using "naked" GV like I described above. The whole GVE/GVN thing seems like a kludge. I wish that ooma had a way to verify our GV number and let us assign it as our outgoing CID like I can do with my other VoIP account. But other than that minor thing, naked GV and ooma together meet all my needs.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

krutsch

Post by krutsch » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:33 pm

I am glad no one else is having these problems. I initially configured to use GVE and then backed that out. Google Voice only calls the virtual number.

I've done more testing and discovered that when it works (a) incoming calls sometimes take as long as 20 seconds to trigger the first ring on the Ooma and (2) the in-call audio delay is more than 1 second, when calling the number from a land line or a cell phone (tried both Sprint and AT&T phones). With Ooma to Ooma, the audio delay is near-zero and the call clarity is awesome. Unfortunately, for everything else, the audio delay is intolerable.

Another problem we ran into - we tried a number of three-way calls and noticed that one of the two callers would experience a lot of packet loss (i.e. audio smearing). Again, not all of the time, but often enough to make us stop using the Ooma with a Polycom for conference call with our remote team mates.

I experimented with a Vonage system in the same office (I have been having problems with the Ooma, so we picked up a Vonage box); no problems calling in or out, and little audio delay - but far more expensive.

I really wanted this to work, but I am going to cancel my account and throw the unit in the trash (I've had it too long to return to the store).

Thanks, everyone for your help.

Ken

southsound

Post by southsound » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:09 pm

krutsch wrote: I really wanted this to work, but I am going to cancel my account and throw the unit in the trash (I've had it too long to return to the store).

Ken
I am the executive director of a 501 C3 non profit organization that would love to put it to use and can issue a donation receipt for your tax return. Please consider sending it (packed securely with the power brick) to:
South Sound Recovery Services
PO Box 793
Shelton, WA 98584

You can send me a private email using the little envelope under my avatar. When I receive the Telo I'll send the receipt by return email. And yes, I know that we will have to pay a reactivation fee but that still is a bargain for a low-budget non profit.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

luffy

Post by luffy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:46 am

Here is how I solved this issue. I had the same problem with my numbers that were listed in my Google Voice phone numbers.

Solution: In your Google contacts add yourself with all your numbers that you would call the Ooma #. After you created your contact you will need to create a group and add yourself to it. Then edit the ring default phones to call the Ooma # in the group you created.

Now when you call your Ooma # it should ring and not go directly to voice mail.

tommyboy

Post by tommyboy » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:16 pm

So... I was having the same kind of problem (same same but different) where when friends tried to call us using Skype they went directly to voicemail -- No rings. After a couple of attempts I had a good look at my privacy preferences and noticed that there is a checkbox to send anonymous callers directly to voicemail. Unchecked the box and life is good.