Help with ooma setup

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
crwmlw
Help with ooma setup

Post by crwmlw » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:55 am

Hi all. I have an coma thats set up as follows. The modem ethernet cable goes from the modem to ooma then to my Apple Airport Extreme router, Im using icam on my iPhone and the coma is somehow blocking the traffic. Icam support says to bridge the router or something?> Any ideas please?

thunderbird

Re: Help with ooma setup

Post by thunderbird » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:16 am

crwmlw wrote:Hi all. I have an coma thats set up as follows. The modem ethernet cable goes from the modem to ooma then to my Apple Airport Extreme router, Im using icam on my iPhone and the coma is somehow blocking the traffic. Icam support says to bridge the router or something?> Any ideas please?
Try connecting Modem-Apple Airport Extreme Router-Ooma. Many people use this connection without problems. Normally with this type of connection, nothing is connected to the Ooma Home port because of file sharing and network printer problems, except temporarily, a computer when accessing Ooma Setup.
Besure to reboot the Modem first, then when the modem is done booting, reboot the Router. When the Router is done booting, reboot the Ooma device.

crwmlw

Post by crwmlw » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:18 am

I don't think I can. I only have 3 ports on the Apple Airport Extreme and they are all used. I was thinking the same thing. Ethernet cable from modem to router then an open port from the router to the ooma right? If all the ports are taken is there another way of doing it?

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:01 pm

crwmlw wrote:I don't think I can. I only have 3 ports on the Apple Airport Extreme and they are all used. I was thinking the same thing. Ethernet cable from modem to router then an open port from the router to the ooma right? If all the ports are taken is there another way of doing it?
Purchase a switch and connect it to one of the Router LAN ports. A switch is a Router port multiplier. I use two eight port switches on our home. One next to my Router and one in the basement, where my main computer and printers are located. A switch is neat, because you can have one network cable running to another room in the house, and you can connect as many devices to switch as there are switch ports, minus the port used to feed the switch from the Router. I have located our Ooma both in the living room and in the basement, through use of the Switches, without any problems.

crwmlw

Post by crwmlw » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:40 pm

Thanks. A switch or hub? Are they the same?

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:06 pm

crwmlw wrote:Thanks. A switch or hub? Are they the same?
No they aren't the same. A hub uses older outdated technology. You want a switch.

crwmlw

Post by crwmlw » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:38 am

Thanks, got a switch. Here is my setup. Comcast modem to Ooma, Ooma to Airport extreme. One of the ethernet ports on the router to switch. Now wi-fi and ethernet connection are gone, once I unplug the ethernet switch everything works ok. I know the Ooma is set as the router and the airport extreme is by passed. I need this setup with port forwarding to be able to view my home security cameras. Can this have something to do with it? Chuck

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:34 pm

crwmlw wrote:Thanks, got a switch. Here is my setup. Comcast modem to Ooma, Ooma to Airport extreme. One of the ethernet ports on the router to switch. Now wi-fi and ethernet connection are gone, once I unplug the ethernet switch everything works ok. I know the Ooma is set as the router and the airport extreme is by passed. I need this setup with port forwarding to be able to view my home security cameras. Can this have something to do with it? Chuck
This connection should allow you to view your home security cameras.
Remove power from the Modem, Router, Switch, and Ooma device.
Connect as follows: Comcast Modem-Apple Airport Extreme Router-Switch-Ooma. Don't bypass the Apple Airport Extreme Router. Use the Apple Airport Extreme as the Router.

Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done powering, repower the Router. When the Router is done booting, repower the Switch, then repower the Ooma device.

Test your home security cameras.

Here are some additonal settings that should help with your setup, after you get your setup working.

To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing by doing the following:
If your connection is Modem-Router-Switch-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem, your Router and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Router. When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.

Access the Ooma Setup Advanced page. Under Quality of Service set both the Upstream Internet speed and Down Stream Internet speed to 90% of the measured Upload and Down load speeds as measured by http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest. After running Phonepower Speedtest, click on the Advanced tab at lower left side. Take the Download Speed and the Upload speed, and multiply .9 times for each number. The resulting numbers are the numbers that you enter into Ooma Setup, Advanced page under Quality of Service Upstream Internet Speed (kbps): and Downstream Internet Speed (kbps): boxes. Click on Update. Then test making and receiving calls.

crwmlw

Post by crwmlw » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:51 pm

Thanks. Even If I have port forwarding setup thru the ooma setup page? Asso do I need to setup up the router again as a router? Its bridged now I believe? Thanks a lot

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:13 pm

crwmlw wrote:Thanks. Even If I have port forwarding setup thru the ooma setup page? Asso do I need to setup up the router again as a router? Its bridged now I believe? Thanks a lot
Ooma doesn't support loop-back which you would probably need for port forwarding. In rare cases it works, but in most it doesn't.

Yes with the Modem-Router-Switch-Ooma configurartion, you will have to setup your Router again as a router and take it out of bridge mode.