OOma device, service sucks as does it customer service

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
mlaskow
OOma device, service sucks as does it customer service

Post by mlaskow » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:26 am

Don't buy Ooma device and services unless you're OK with not getting incoming caller ID working and your home answering system not hanging up after a call.
Ooma customer service is none and it keeps blaming my installation and home wiring on their problems even though I've pointed out that all my equipment works fine with any service I had before.
Now I have to pay ship back cost of this sucky device of theirs.

lbmofo

Re: OOma device, service sucks as does it customer service

Post by lbmofo » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:35 am

Sorry to hear you've had a poor experience.

Incoming callerid is a known issue for some folks if they are in landline integration mode (using your own number to work with Ooma vs getting a new number assigned by Ooma ie standalone mode); you can have customer service change your mode to standalone and try if you were in landline integration mode.

If you were already in standalone mode, perhaps test your Ooma without involving your house wiring. Don't feed your Ooma dialtone to your house wiring; plug a phone into Ooma and test first. If all is well, then try Ooma dialtone distribution thorughout your house; but need to make sure your house wiring is physically disconnected from the Telephone company.

bmccollum

Post by bmccollum » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:49 am

I've been generally pleased over the past year, but I've got to admit, we rarely use our home phone. We're like most people and use our cell phones 95% of the time.

We HAVE had an irritating problem with voice latency w/the Ooma Telo over the past year and nothing I've done has improved this problem. Tons of conversations where we are constantly talking on top of the person on the other end of the phone due to the voice latency issues. That part of it definitely sucks.

If you're a very light user of your home phones and you want to save a great deal of money per month, then Ooma's not bad. Otherwise, I'd recommend against it based on my experience.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:58 am

Wow, we use our Ooma hub almost exclusivly while at home. It works so well, my wife has forgotten it is not a landline.

Connect my hub into the router and let the router handle the quality of service, but really, it doesn't need much tweaking. Also use dsl at 6 mbit down.

2 year user as well.

Wayne
ooma customer since January 2009
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Lifetime Premier Member

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:43 pm

Family uses Ooma heavily; no issues or complaints. Working flawlessly for us. Very happy with Ooma.

bmccollum

Post by bmccollum » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:46 pm

I'm glad then that some of yo don't the awful delay issue. Trust me, it blows...

millermankjm

Post by millermankjm » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:03 pm

Being a two plus year user and having a hub system I have no compaints Had other VOip providers and now saving $25/MO WITH no issuses Figured saved $400 so far Have only 768k download is fine 80k up quality is fine nobody complains Built in answer macbine works well tell all my family and friends reply and Ill tell more

rimtapp

Post by rimtapp » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:36 pm

I have been a satisfied Ooma user since March 2008. I've never had a quality problem; service has been great although I have to admit that I've not had a lot of reason to call customer service; it's far better than the VOIP service I previously had (Vonage). I would highly recommend it.

Leeway

Post by Leeway » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:20 am

Well, I'd have to agree with Ooma customer service. There are far too many of us very happy with our Ooma systems to think anything else. It is not fair for you to come here and downgrade the system when there are so many that have ironed out problems with proper questions and helpfull answers.

Obviously you come here to read but are you listening to any of the advice?

Donna

bmccollum

Post by bmccollum » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:42 am

I have tried every last suggestion posted on this forum as well as every suggestion recommended by Ooma customer service. Absolutely no improvement in terrible delay I continue to experience. Don't make assumptions, folks...