porting my home phone number

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
mga
porting my home phone number

Post by mga » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:46 pm

I would like to port my home phone number. My Internet service is provided by AT&T via their u-Verse product.

During the porting process it advises customers that if their DSL service is delivered on the same number as their landline, the DSL service needs to be separated from the phone service before porting. Is U-Verse Internet considered DSL service?

Thanks.

dhoots

Re: porting my home phone number

Post by dhoots » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:36 pm

I believe it is. I believe it is all running over the DSL lines.

murphy

Post by murphy » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:52 pm

mga wrote:I would like to port my home phone number. My Internet service is provided by AT&T via their u-Verse product.

During the porting process it advises customers that if their DSL service is delivered on the same number as their landline, the DSL service needs to be separated from the phone service before porting. Is U-Verse Internet considered DSL service?

Thanks.
U-Verse is delivered via fiber optic cable similar to Verizon's FIOS. It is not DSL.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:01 pm

mga:
It could be either. You should call your local U-verse provider and find out for sure what comes into your home.

See Information from Wikipedia below:

AT&T U-verse

U-verse uses a Fiber to the Node (FTTN) or Fiber to the Premises (FTTP) communications network. This means Fiber-optic communication is used to boxes either within a neighborhood or at each premise. A high-speed variant of Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line technology called ADSL2+ or Very-high-bitrate digital subscriber line (VDSL) are used on the telephone lines to the customers' premises.

Internet

Internet service is provided to computers connected to the on-premises Ethernet cabling or a HomePNA residential gateway or DSL modem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT%26T_U-verse