When to unplug from porting

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
sonboy
When to unplug from porting

Post by sonboy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:19 am

Hello,
I have been notified that my AT &T number will be ported tomorrow. Currently, I am plugged into the wall and ALSO still hooked up outside my home to AT & T. My question being... When should I unplug my outside connection from AT & T. Before Ooma makes their test call or after their test call? Right now, unplugging from the wall turns my Ooma Telo flashing RED., which means nothing works. So I can assume that disconnecting from the outside will send everything flashing red also. Bottom line,,,, when to disconnect from outside the house? I should also mention, that my internet comes from Comcast.
regards, Dave

highq

Re: When to unplug from porting

Post by highq » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:49 am

Since your ooma obviously malfunctions if you disconnect from its wall jack, don't change anything until after the port completes.

Charles R

Post by Charles R » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:57 am

sonboy wrote:I have been notified that my AT &T number will be ported tomorrow. Currently, I am plugged into the wall and ALSO still hooked up outside my home to AT & T. My question being... When should I unplug my outside connection from AT & T.
I'm presuming once the line is dead (no dial tone).
Right now, unplugging from the wall turns my Ooma Telo flashing RED., which means nothing works. So I can assume that disconnecting from the outside will send everything flashing red also. Bottom line,,,, when to disconnect from outside the house? I should also mention, that my internet comes from Comcast.
I'm confused here as your Telo shouldn't be connected to your landline service. Are you referencing that it's connected to Comcast? If so, that would stay as is. Unless you have one of the older models (which can be connected to your landline) of which I know nothing. When your landline is dead you can disconnect it at your D-mark and then run your Telo line into your in-house wiring via a jack.... leaving the Internet line as is.

My port goes live tomorrow as well. Must be a sad day for AT&T. :)

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:03 pm

sonboy wrote:Hello,
I have been notified that my AT &T number will be ported tomorrow. Currently, I am plugged into the wall and ALSO still hooked up outside my home to AT & T. My question being... When should I unplug my outside connection from AT & T. Before Ooma makes their test call or after their test call? Right now, unplugging from the wall turns my Ooma Telo flashing RED., which means nothing works. So I can assume that disconnecting from the outside will send everything flashing red also. Bottom line,,,, when to disconnect from outside the house? I should also mention, that my internet comes from Comcast.
regards, Dave
When you get an email from Ooma saying your port is complete, then you can disconnect the phone line going into your Ooma's wall port and reboot. Once Ooma comes up blue and you can make and receive calls using your own number, then you can disconnect the house wiring from the telephone company.