what do i lose by not using an ooma handset?

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
rawbar
what do i lose by not using an ooma handset?

Post by rawbar » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:13 pm

I'm a new Ooma user with premier. I have it set up to distribute to all phones in the house. I was told that in order to take advantage of the two lines that premier offers, I would need to purchase at least one Ooma phone. After reading thru this forum, it seems that the Ooma phones are not all that favored.

I'm wondering if I'm losing any premier features by using a 3rd party DECT 6.0 set of phones? Currently I'm using
Panasonic DECT 5.0 phones that cost a small fortune years back. They of course work fine to make and receive calls, I just don't know if they work for multiline, etc and what else is missing as compared to Ooma phones.

Thanks!

lbmofo

Re: what do i lose by not using an ooma handset?

Post by lbmofo » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:19 pm

You won't be able to use the instant second line feature. Also without the Telo handset, you wont' be able to make your 2nd number a private/personal number assigned to the handset.

rawbar

Post by rawbar » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:34 pm

So there is no way to use the 2nd line feature on any other handset other than Ooma's? I thought I had read otherwise in here, but perhaps that was for incoming calls.

dbliss3593

Post by dbliss3593 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:40 am

You may find that the voice quality of the Telo handset is much better than voice quality on an attached analog phone. I found the Telo handset voice quality far superior to the voice quality of a Panasonic KX-TG7621/TGA410 Base & handset (purchased new from Costco) attached to my Telo base.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:12 am

For incoming calls, workaround for 2nd line: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12290