audible beep with new messages on Telo

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
just4fn
Re: audible beep with new messages on Telo

Post by just4fn » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:26 pm

I think Ooma should send a letter in the mail when there is e-mail. That way if you haven't answered your voicemail because you can't see a blinking light then for sure you can read that there is a voicemail to answer. Just a thought.
Ooma Telo, Hub.
1958 was a very good year!
No cell phone , no land line- just Ooma
all my eggs in one Ooma basket
I lied- my wife has a cell, but not me!! I like my privacy and not being attached to a phone.

southsound

Post by southsound » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:12 pm

just4fn wrote:I think Ooma should send a letter in the mail when there is e-mail. That way if you haven't answered your voicemail because you can't see a blinking light then for sure you can read that there is a voicemail to answer. Just a thought.
Might take too long. My vote would be for an entry in your configuration that listed your closest neighbor or maybe an emergency contact. Then when a voicemail message had not been retrieved for 24 hours (or maybe you could have several choices of duration) ooma's servers would place a call to your neighbor or emergency contact telling them that you had an unheard message in your inbox. It would be a welcome service both for you and for your neighbor!
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

just4fn

Post by just4fn » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:41 pm

Wow! We should be in a think tank and make a lot of money with our ideas!
Ooma Telo, Hub.
1958 was a very good year!
No cell phone , no land line- just Ooma
all my eggs in one Ooma basket
I lied- my wife has a cell, but not me!! I like my privacy and not being attached to a phone.

southsound

Post by southsound » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:52 pm

just4fn wrote:Wow! We should be in a think tank and make a lot of money with our ideas!
Cool! let's do it. Here is my first thought...

Now what?
Lifetime Premier Member

WGAS

Post by WGAS » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:40 pm

This is funny. Recurring feature request that's pretty much the norm with any competitive voip or wireline that you can use with wired phones in your home. You would think the number of requests & longevity of this thread supports the validity of the request. One thing if Ooma won't provide it, but totally crazy that people defend it's absence. The stuff about tapes in answering machines is a real hoot & I'm a frigging old guy.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:07 pm

WGAS wrote:Recurring feature request that's pretty much the norm with any competitive voip or wireline that you can use with wired phones in your home.
How do other VoIP providers provide this feature?

southsound

Post by southsound » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:13 pm

WGAS wrote:This is funny. Recurring feature request that's pretty much the norm with any competitive voip or wireline that you can use with wired phones in your home. You would think the number of requests & longevity of this thread supports the validity of the request. One thing if Ooma won't provide it, but totally crazy that people defend it's absence. The stuff about tapes in answering machines is a real hoot & I'm a frigging old guy.
Sorry about the levity if it offended anyone. I agree that it would be a nice configurable feature for those who would like it. My Uniden DECT 6.0 systems (I use one for my landline and the other for my Telo) have that feature. We normally don't take incoming calls on the landline so it is set up to beep when there is a message - and it is helpful. We don't much use the ooma voice mail so it hasn't bothered me there. We've been using Google Voice (naked) as a front end for our phone service and we've just gotten in the habit of checking our GV when we return from being out of phone range. We also have GV ring our cell phone so it will alert us of a missed call if there was one.

This forum tends to move towards the silly somewhat more than some appreciate and I have to admit that I'm often the cause. None the less, your suggestion was a good one. Ooma could do it by adding routine that adds a notification chirp in the software that runs the Telo. The hardware is there since we can listen to voice mail on the Telo directly. If enough people are asking for it, it will eventually make it to the top of the list for ooma development. We'll probably never see it in the hub/scout pair because they are end of life (although I still love mine!).
Lifetime Premier Member

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:29 pm

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:52 am

We can file an enhancement request for this and make it a configurable option - how frequently do you think it should play an audio beep when you have new messages?
rlanza1054 wrote:I also like a audible beep with new messages are waiting. I used to have an answering machine like that (my mother has it now, Panasonic).

Have a software switch so those that don't want the beep can be able to turn it off or on. They can set their preference.

Rob
Bobby B

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:37 pm

Play this every 30 seconds? :)
Chirp.mp3
(68.63KiB)Downloaded 484 times