Voice Quality issues

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
murphy
Re: Voice Quality issues

Post by murphy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:03 am

ameneses54 wrote: Dear sir,
What does assigning Zero to both up and downstream do? It seems an easier setting as the measured up and down vary significantly.
It disables QOS in the Ooma.
QOS is not needed if you have high speed stable internet service.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

ameneses54

Post by ameneses54 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:03 am

That answer confuses me more. If it disables QOS why would it help?
After the zero option which would you recommend.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:11 am

ameneses54 wrote:That answer confuses me more. If it disables QOS why would it help?
After the zero option which would you recommend.
ameneses54, for setup of Ooma between Modem and Router, the optimal setup: viewtopic.php?t=9536#p66155

magnus2

Post by magnus2 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:21 am

I've had alot of problems with sound quality since I got the system back in Dec 2010. Sometimes it sounds echo like, or metallic or garbled. Also alot of people told me I just faded out. Or even having alot of calls drop mid-sentence. I have NEVER had a clear call (like with my old phone carrier) without someone having to say "what"? Anyway, I have tried all the tricks suggested on the site, checked my internet connect, speed, etc (which is fine) and have never been able to solve the problem.....So I just called my old phone carrier. It may be more expensive, but you truly get what you paid for....

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:51 pm

magnus2, I think you gave up too easily. I am not an Ooma employee but love Ooma. I got 24 friends/family on Ooma so far, all are very happy. Whatever problems you faced, I tend to believe it to be your setup/modem/router/internet rather than Ooma. I regret that you didn't try to seek help, on this forum, for your specific situation.

ameneses54

Post by ameneses54 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:14 pm

magnus2 wrote:I've had alot of problems with sound quality since I got the system back in Dec 2010. Sometimes it sounds echo like, or metallic or garbled. Also alot of people told me I just faded out. Or even having alot of calls drop mid-sentence. I have NEVER had a clear call (like with my old phone carrier) without someone having to say "what"? Anyway, I have tried all the tricks suggested on the site, checked my internet connect, speed, etc (which is fine) and have never been able to solve the problem.....So I just called my old phone carrier. It may be more expensive, but you truly get what you paid for....
I just wanted to let you know that I also had the same terrible experience with OOMA,and I committed the immense mistake of trying to solve the issue missing the chance to send back the unit under the sale agreement.
I also had to get a regular phone line and change ISP. Now that I have nothing to loose, I'm going to try again. I suspect that the problem in my case may have been due to the Uverse setup which have an integrated modem router.
It's still a maybe, but I'm going to give it a shot.

DTR

Post by DTR » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:34 am

I am in the same boat. I am having EVERY call break the inbound audio after about 6 to 8 minutes. It's like a switch is flipped and all the sudden the inbound audio is perfect and then it becomes completely garbled and you can't understand the person on the other end. You can hang up and call them right back and it is perfect for another 6 to 8 minutes. Very repeatable problem that I can't believe an OOMA engineer can't reproduce in the lab.

I was going to open a support ticket and hope for a fix, but I think I will be returning my system as well. I subscribed to one year of premier only one week into my trial (things worked fine then), but now you can't have even one call that doesn't garble the inbound audio in a few minutes. It's almost like we get firmware pushed to our devices that hasn't been completely tested for release. How could a problem of this nature get released for use??? Never the less, I have over $300.00 invested in this now, and that would have bought quite a few months of a phone service that really works. I can't afford to lose $300 playing with OOMA's products and firmware that obviously need further testing and tweaks. It doesn't seem there is a stable firmware that the public runs while dev work is going on for the future releases. It seems as if new firmware comes and goes to easily, without any regression testing to ensure the new release doesn't break existing systems. VoIP can be good method while using a proven transfer protocol, but it is only as good as the guys coding the firmware and matching it to the hardware capabilites. As well as the management of the Alpha and Beta testing cycles.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:33 am

Re: voice quality gets very poor lately
by Bobby B » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:50 am

We do have a Telo bug fix in the works (bug 11268), that we believe will improve the voice quality for connections that receive a lot of out of sequence packets. Our developers are currently working on getting the bug fix into our QA team's hands.

by Bobby B » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:06 am

We believe it should fix some instances of metallic or robotic sounding voice. In our testing, we introduced about 30% packet loss with a large number out of order packets and we found the voice quality was much improved. It's tough to say all users who are reporting this problem are experiencing similar conditions during their calls.

by Bobby B » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:38 pm

I would guess the release with the fix is at least 4 weeks away from being deployed to the field.

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

DTR

Post by DTR » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:43 am

Yeah I saw all of that..... but my trial is over about that time, so..... I don't feel like I should gamble my $300 from what I have experienced so far. Once my trial is over, they won't take it back even if it was a firmware problem for them.

Thanks for the heads up though!!

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:37 am

DTR wrote:Yeah I saw all of that..... but my trial is over about that time, so..... I don't feel like I should gamble my $300 from what I have experienced so far. Once my trial is over, they won't take it back even if it was a firmware problem for them.

Thanks for the heads up though!!
To bad that a few people have problems. In the beginning I had problems also. But I fixed the problems on my end, and had my Internet provider and Ooma fix the problems that remained on their end. Since I only have a very infrequent slight echo some times. All I have to do is reboot everything, and the echo is gone. My wife hated the Ooma at first, but now she likes it so much, you couldn't pry the phone out of her hands. She will talk for hours at a time, especially to relatives and friends in China.
Good Luck.