Another Bricked Ooma

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
gavinseim
Another Bricked Ooma

Post by gavinseim » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:00 pm

I have a Telo I purchased over a year ago now. Everything was hunky dory until a few weeks ago when the Ooma stopped working. I just the 1 and 2 lighted blue. Tried resetting, calling support and jumping thru hoops to get it going. In the end they said "your device is bricked you have to buy a new one".

THAT"S IT? I went around with them hoping to get some real answers and finally they promised a higher level agent would call me back. It never happened. So now I just have a $250 brick that promised to save me so much, and as it turns out is not such a savings after all as it's yet another piece of junk that the company takes no responsibility for.

This all happened sometime around the time we had a brief power outage. Yet everything else survived just fine. Yes, I know it's out of warranty and I know things can break, but the device powers on. I'm sensing that the power cut caused a software crash of some kind and Ooma would rather just make me buy a new device than build in a way to reset it. I find it inexcusable that the firmware cannot be reset so that this thing can get going again. I'm so frustrated. I expected more and Ooma failed.

I've seen this happen to others. So other than a frustrated rant, has anyone else experienced this and found a way to hard reset the firmware and get it working?

Gavin

thunderbird

Re: Another Bricked Ooma

Post by thunderbird » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:39 pm

gavinseim:
If after you plug in the Ooma Telo, it starts but only goes to the number 1 & 2 lights, then there is little hope. The boot loader is damaged or stuck and that's it. Usually this happens from an unprotected power surge.

If after you plug in the Ooma Telo, it starts, goes to the number I & 2 lights and then you see other lights come on and go off later, and then it goes back to the numbers 1 & 2 and stops, there is some little chance.
In that case sometimes, with the Ooma Telo connected behind the router, and after you let the Ooma Telo boot as far as it will go, access Ooma setup with a computer connected with a network cable, from the computer wired LAN port to the Ooma Telo Home port. Wi-Fi must be temporarily turned off in the computer. Reboot the computer. Type http://172.27.35.1 in the computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages should open. If they do, click on Internet. Following Connection type: click on the down arrow and select Dynamic (DHCP). Click on Update Device below. Reboot the Router and Ooma Telo. Good Luck.

One other thing, sometimes if you bought the Ooma Telo with a credit card, the credit card will warrant the Ooma Telo for up to two years. It's worth checking out.

karalabe

Post by karalabe » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:56 pm

Let me just add my voice- my telo was bricked exactly the same way after a power outage.Tons of equipment suffered no damage but the telo seems to be sensitive to surges. Lesson learned.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:00 pm

Last resort you might want to try a different power supply of the same ratings and see if that works.

Wayne
ooma customer since January 2009
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Lifetime Premier Member

karalabe

Post by karalabe » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:11 pm

I actually did. I have another Telo adapter- no dice. It just won't boot. It's a shame I can't do anything to repair it.

bukzin

Post by bukzin » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:55 am

karalabe wrote:I actually did. I have another Telo adapter- no dice. It just won't boot. It's a shame I can't do anything to repair it.

What is a "Telo adapter" ? where did you find one?
Ooma Telo
box part # 110-0102-310
Premier service

no Telo handset (yet)

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:40 am

bukzin wrote:
karalabe wrote:I actually did. I have another Telo adapter- no dice. It just won't boot. It's a shame I can't do anything to repair it.

What is a "Telo adapter" ? where did you find one?
Basically any power adapter with the proper output and connector. Output of +5 volts 2 amps should do it with an end connector center +

Wayne
ooma customer since January 2009
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Lifetime Premier Member

karalabe

Post by karalabe » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:36 am

2 years ago, Ooma replaced some people's power adapters because the original ones had some issues with the connector. So I have 2.

melissa

Post by melissa » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:15 pm

My telo also turned into a brick, after a power outage. Funny, nothing else in my house broke. Ooma should work on there hardware. It was out of the warranty period by about one month, but I purchased on my AmEx card and they offer an extended warranty, and basically refunded my money.
There should be a way to remanufacture these units, it is a shame to just recycle it.

soumyajyoti

Post by soumyajyoti » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:53 am

After the April 15th Voice mail upgrade, I found my telo has turned into a brick !

I have had it running for two years now, and never had any problems before. But if I have to go out and spend $200+ every couple of years, it makes no sense. Its not saving me any money !!

I am terribly frustrated and most probably will stop saying ooma is a good alternative to the Telco monsters.

I have recommended OOMA in the past and some of my friends have bought the unit. No more recommendations if I cannot get more than two years of service out of this crap.