enable "fax mode"

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
sherrondee
enable "fax mode"

Post by sherrondee » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:48 am

My Ooma is different from the instructions.

The following is from: https://ooma.custhelp.com/app/answers/d ... TVJDQms%3D

How do I enable "fax mode" on my device?
You can enable "fax mode" on your line by doing the following:
1. Log into your My Ooma account
2. Navigate to Phone Numbers under the Preferences tab
3. Click on the phone number you wish to edit
4. Select the check-box to enable fax mode
5. Save your changes

Mine is unlike this in #4, there are no boxes to check.
Yes, I am able to fax, but I would like to be able to turn it on and off

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Re: enable "fax mode"

Post by Bobby B » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:17 pm

A few weeks ago all Telos received fax tone detection support, which allows the Telo to change to an uncompressed codec when a fax call is detected. As a result of this change, the manual fax mode parameter is no longer needed. We're in the process of updating the documentation to reflect this change.
Bobby B

sherrondee

Post by sherrondee » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:59 pm

Ok, thanks for that info. So what I have to do is make sure that the fax does not answer before answering service. Answer service in five rings, fax in seven.

itsdavetime

Post by itsdavetime » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:17 pm

The only thing with this, however, is that I was using the functionality for my alarm system. I have the alarm system plugged into my Telo phone port, and had the phone port's phone number set to "fax mode". So with this new functionality, my alarm will no longer work.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:20 pm

Dialing out with *99 prefix would work.

itsdavetime

Post by itsdavetime » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:25 pm

I realize that, but I need to pay to have my alarm company come to the house to program that, at around $85/hr.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:39 pm

itsdavetime wrote:I realize that, but I need to pay to have my alarm company come to the house to program that, at around $85/hr.
Did your alarm work before? Does it not work anymore?
My understanding is that the "fax mode" setting was for incoming calls so it wouldn't have affected your outgoing calls to the alarm company.

Check this out for info on how to do it yourself: viewtopic.php?t=12098#p84745

itsdavetime

Post by itsdavetime » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:40 pm

The alarm works only when fax mode is enabled on the line.

Morac

Post by Morac » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:01 pm

Bobby B wrote:A few weeks ago all Telos received fax tone detection support, which allows the Telo to change to an uncompressed codec when a fax call is detected. As a result of this change, the manual fax mode parameter is no longer needed. We're in the process of updating the documentation to reflect this change.
Pretty cool, I was able to make a fax call to HP's text number just now from my 2nd line without using the *99 prefix and received the response fax back (I noticed the fax mode setting is gone too).

Unfortunately I couldn't fax to a real person this morning. I tried 3 times and all three times failed. I was using the *99 prefix at the time so I don't know if that was the problem or not. What does *99 do now?

Also since fax tones can now be detected, is it possible to add a setting to change the ring pattern when an incoming fax is detected (for fax auto-answer)? That would be cool.

EX Bell

Post by EX Bell » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:16 pm

*99 did not work for me. ECM is disabled. *98 works perfectly. After seeing the post from Bobby B that the prefix is no longer required, I tried removing it. Fax did not return a failure, but just like *99 it never arrives at the destination. I put the *98 prefix back in and it worked again immediately. I really think the documentation should be updated to suggest the *98 prefix to enable T.98 compatibility. It seems to work the best for the largest number of people.
Customer Since: 1/17/12
Service: Premier 1/30/2012
BELL Canada Port: 1/30/12 - 2/13/12
TekSavvy via BELL FTTN: 25 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: Sagemcom 2864 > Cisco E2000 > Time Capsule v1 > Telo
Handsets: Panasonic KX-TG6655S DECT 6.0