Airport Extreme Base Station Problem

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
thunderbird
Re: Airport Extreme Base Station Problem

Post by thunderbird » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:05 am

Sadalmelik wrote:This is so puzzling. I connected this morning and the Apple AIRPORT UTILITY software says all is well. No issues being reported.

But a speed test revealed my Internet connection this morning was slower than usual.

I'm just guessing at this point.

I wonder if the DECT 6.0 cordless phone near the OOMA and the modem and the Airport Extreme Base Station might be causing some sort of interference... ?
There has been reports that some wireless phones will cause conflicts between either the Ooma and/or Router Wi-Fi. The DECT 6 phone frequency won't cause a problem, but most wireless phone systems also use other frequencies, that may cause a conflict problem.

If it's a Wi-Fi frequency conflict problem, you should try the procedure I outlined in my previous post.

Sometimes just moving each device so that each is located at least four feet from the other devices, cures the problem.

Sadalmelik

Post by Sadalmelik » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:45 am

I'll try separating the devices. That could be the problem because they are currently very close to each other and the problems I experience with the Macintosh are intermittent... hence... odd. It could be an interference issue.

Another idea I might try:

I have a couple of Netgear Powerline adapters. I suppose I could connect my Macintosh using a wired ethernet connection by way of those powerline adapters.

Sadalmelik

Post by Sadalmelik » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:17 am

Well, moving the phone didn't improve things.

Last night, I tried resetting everything all over again and -- still -- the Macintosh continues to be the only device that intermittently loses the Internet. There is something not working quite right with either the Airport Extreme Base Station or the Macintosh. Since the Macintosh never had any problems in the past with a different setup, I tend to think the Airport Extreme Base Station might be the culprit.

I have to laugh at myself as I struggle with this silliness.

I tried establishing a wired connection between my Macintosh and my Airport Extreme Base Station. They are distant from each other (in different rooms). So I suspected maybe I could use my Powerline adapters from Netgear (old XAV101 models) to establish a wired connection through the electrical grid of my residence. The Powerline adapters do connect, but only using certain power outlets while other outlets do not allow connection. Apparently, the electrical grid in this residence is actually two separate power grids that do not connect with each other. So that means the outlets that I need... don't work... go figure.

So... next...

I'm going to replace the Airport Extreme Base Station, which is the 1st generation wireless-n model. I'm guessing that maybe the Airport Extreme Base Station is getting old and isn't working properly.

The replacement I already have on hand is a relatively new Cisco Linksys E2500. I'll run the setup CD tonight and see if there is any improvement.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:26 am

Sadalmelik wrote:This is so puzzling. I connected this morning and the Apple AIRPORT UTILITY software says all is well. No issues being reported.

But a speed test revealed my Internet connection this morning was slower than usual.

I'm just guessing at this point.

I wonder if the DECT 6.0 cordless phone near the OOMA and the modem and the Airport Extreme Base Station might be causing some sort of interference... ?
Did you try the Factory Reset of the Airport Extreme as mrjagster suggested?

Trying the new router should weed out the problem.

Sadalmelik

Post by Sadalmelik » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:02 am

Yes, I reset all devices multiple times. No improvement.

Interestingly, there is a CNET blog post about this having been reported by Snow Leopard users: specifically, problems establishing a good *wireless* connection for the Macintosh that was used to setup the network. As the blog post by Joe Aimonetti on October 8, 2009 states:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10370940-263.html

"Many users have been finding that under Snow Leopard they are having dropouts while using wireless internet via AirPort. Most users report that other non-Mac machines on the same network have no issues connecting using wireless and all wired connections are fine."

Suggested fixes that may or may not help:

"1) Turned off auto channel and made a dedicated one [choose a single channel (i.e., 3 or 9)]. 2) Changed my network [security] to WPA. I did some more research and contacted a few of my network friends about the issue and they have stated that Snow Leopard is having issues with auto channel on certain routers. Not saying that Snow is having issues with auto channel or WEP vs. WPA all the time, just certain routers.

I'm not going to downgrade my security, so...

So the new CISCO router (Linksys E2500) should be an interesting test.

Sadalmelik

Post by Sadalmelik » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:36 pm

Looks like this is a common problem for Snow Leopard users and there is one suggested fix that intrigues me: RESETTING PRAM. Michael Hyatt says it worked for him:

http://michaelhyatt.com/fix-for-wireles ... k-pro.html

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

I'll give that a try when I get home.

Sadalmelik

Post by Sadalmelik » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:27 pm

Reset my Macintosh computer's PRAM by first powering it down and then I held down the P + R + COMMAND + OPTION keys of my keyboard and I kept holding down those keys while restarting the computer... and kept holding them until I heard the usual MACINTOSH signature startup sound a SECOND TIME.

Wow.

I connected right away.

I am now surfing quite quickly with fast loading Web pages.

Could it really be this simple???

So far, it's working... even with the old Airport Extreme Base Station wireless-n 1st generation.

I'll keep an eye on it for the next few days.

If it keeps working this well, I'll just keep my CISCO modem in storage.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:45 pm

I'd forgotten about the Mac PRAM reset. It's been a long time since I've done that, (or used a Mac).

Glad it worked and good luck.

Sadalmelik

Post by Sadalmelik » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:49 pm

Thanks!

Meanwhile, the OOMA is working like a charm plugged into the Airport Extreme Base Station's LAN port!

Sadalmelik

Post by Sadalmelik » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:12 pm

Blast.

The problem has returned; my Macintosh doesn't "see" the wireless network... again.

Reset the PRAM three or four more times and the problem is now persisting.

So... I'm back to looking at the modem.

I might do a second clean re-installation of Snow Leopard.

This has just consumed hours and hours of my life; stuff like this is so frustrating.

I hope Apple does something to recognize those of us who experience this issue; it really makes you mad.