Trigger Outgoing Call from Mac/PC

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
ixnayus
Trigger Outgoing Call from Mac/PC

Post by ixnayus » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:59 am

I can't tell you how many times I've wished for this... I'm looking up so-and-so's number in my address book and I have to dial the number manually. This is even trickier if I want to dial out from my second line.

If there was a desktop hook into my address book that would trigger an outgoing call with the click of a button, I'd be a happy man. I imagine this could be accomplished through a web api where the call would be initiated at Ooma, ring my hub, and then make the call to the recipient. I think amazon's phone support uses this model.

skasin

Re: Trigger Outgoing Call from Mac/PC

Post by skasin » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:21 pm

this would be great - would love it!!!

Neubiee

Post by Neubiee » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:41 pm

i agree that would be great!

skype has something similar.

also google directory lookup/maps had a similar feature: when you click on a business phone number it used to call your phone and then connect the other party.

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:59 am

We'll be adding click-to-call functionality to the call logs soon - right now we're wrapping up the server-side development work and will start the web work soon. I think we'll probably see this feature within the next couple months.
Bobby B

koehn

Post by koehn » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:02 am

I'd love to see support for the phone:// URL protocol. This would require some bit of software on the client to handle the protocol and presumably call a web service at Ooma, but it would allow people to click on a phone number in pretty much any web page to call out.

I could throw together a simple Firefox plugin to demonstrate.

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:06 am

A firefox plug-in that would allow you to highlight any phone number and initiate a click-to-call on a web page would definitely be a useful feature!
koehn wrote:I'd love to see support for the phone:// URL protocol. This would require some bit of software on the client to handle the protocol and presumably call a web service at Ooma, but it would allow people to click on a phone number in pretty much any web page to call out.

I could throw together a simple Firefox plugin to demonstrate.
Bobby B