check TEL line - only Line 1 and Line 2 lit

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
tao1
check TEL line - only Line 1 and Line 2 lit

Post by tao1 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:25 am

Our Telo only has the Line 1 and Line 2 blue light on. It just stopped
working and we have no dial tone, can't dial out. We have tried swapping
out the cables, rebooting the modem and the Telo and nothing is
working...internet is working fine..on the back where it says "to internet"
the right light - looking at the back is steady green and the left light
will occasionally flash or steady blink an orange color. The unit is 18
months old (Mar 2010) and has always been connected to an APC unit. I hope I do not have to throw this thing out, and if I were to buy a new one, I hope I would not have to pay again to port the number over!!! Also, we are on the $12 a year plan currently, so I bet that is no longer available with new units!!! :x :x :x :x :x

thunderbird

Re: check TEL line - only Line 1 and Line 2 lit

Post by thunderbird » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:26 am

tao1 wrote:Our Telo only has the Line 1 and Line 2 blue light on. It just stopped
working and we have no dial tone, can't dial out. We have tried swapping
out the cables, rebooting the modem and the Telo and nothing is
working...internet is working fine..on the back where it says "to internet"
the right light - looking at the back is steady green and the left light
will occasionally flash or steady blink an orange color. The unit is 18
months old (Mar 2010) and has always been connected to an APC unit. I hope I do not have to throw this thing out, and if I were to buy a new one, I hope I would not have to pay again to port the number over!!! Also, we are on the $12 a year plan currently, so I bet that is no longer available with new units!!! :x :x :x :x :x
First connect the Ooma Telo to a regular wall power outlet and see what happens.

Next if that doesn't work:
Force a connection to the Ooma Telo by using Dynamic (DHCP) Connection
Type:
Remove power from the Modem, Ooma Telo, and Router. Temporarily connect Modem-Router-Ooma. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, repower the Router. When the Router is done booting, repower the Ooma Telo. Let the Ooma Telo boot as far is it will boot. If it doesn't boot all of the way; tempoarily connect with a network cable, the Ooma Telo's Home port, to the wired computer LAN port. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if Wi-Fi is turned on in the computer. Reboot the computer. Type http://172.27.35.1 in the computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages should open. Click on Internet at the upper left side of window. At Connection Type: click the down arrow and select Dynamic (DHCP). Click on Update Device at bottom of the page.
Remove power from the Modem, Router and Ooma Telo. Temporarily connect Modem-Router-Ooma. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, repower the Router. When the Router is done booting, repower the Ooma Telo.

tao1

Post by tao1 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:01 pm

No go and no go with any help or support from OOMA since it is 18 months old :cry:
I would advise ANYONE to purchase a square trade warranty for 3 years for around $30 if they are buying a new Telo!!! The system works great, no complaints there - but if the hardware can't make it more than 18 months than your rate of return is not as advertised. And ours did not get fried by a power outage or anything we have it on APC....so be aware!

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:08 pm

Here is one more thing you can do.

Shutdown everything including modem.

Disconnect everything including all the ethernet cables.

Connect to internet port of Ooma to Modem using ethernet cable.

Power up modem, wait til it comes online. Then power up Ooma.

tao1

Post by tao1 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:09 pm

lbmofo wrote:Here is one more thing you can do.

Shutdown everything including modem.

Disconnect everything including all the ethernet cables.

Connect to internet port of Ooma to Modem using ethernet cable.

Power up modem, wait til it comes online. Then power up Ooma.
Tried that also..Did not work - Ooma level 2 tech support said that it was a hardware problem and could not be repaired.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:14 pm

If indeed your Ooma hardware failed, you can get a factory refurb or new Ooma and then call in to customer service (vs activating online) to swap out the device. All account settings including phone number would remain the same.

As for the $11.75 tax per year, Ooma is changing that to monthly RRF, currently ~$3.47 a month, in phases.

tao1

Post by tao1 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:20 pm

lbmofo wrote:If indeed your Ooma hardware failed, you can get a factory refurb or new Ooma and then call in to customer service (vs activating online) to swap out the device. All account settings including phone number would remain the same.

As for the $11.75 tax per year, Ooma is changing that to monthly RRF, currently ~$3.47 a month, in phases.
I understand that...they eve offered to transfer me to sales :shock: my point is - be aware that he hardware may fail soon after the one year warranty (you can google this to verify that plenty of people have had this occur, and it usually is the same failure mode), so either factor the cost of a new unit (at least $200) into your equation on when you will break even and purchase a warranty - and I would go with square trade for cost and ease of replacement!! NO WAY would I buy a reurbished or used unit that could fail at any time. There is obviously :shock: some flaw with the hardware that causes the units to fail...

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:31 pm

If you bought your Ooma using a credit card, check to see if your credit card company automatically doubles warranties.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:39 pm

When only the 1 & 2 lights come on the first time around after power up, and Ooma Setup can't be accessed, and no other lights come on, most likely the Boot loader has failed.

Usually when both of the little lights are on, at the Ooma device Internet port where the network cable plugs in, there is hope. That's why the attempt is made to access Ooma Setup and make changes, to "jar" the software enough to get things started again. But in your case......

The last resort is if you purchased the Ooma device with a credit card, and the credit card has a warranty for items purchased. Usually this warrenty is for two years. It may be worth checking it out.

I also have noticed that people sell completely dead Ooma devices on Ebay, for what is to me quite a lot of money??? Some one must have a repair, or am able to feed the dead boxes back into the factory refurbished line for refurbishment???? I have always wondered why some refurbished Ooma devices have a one year warranty, and others just have a six month warrenty???? Considering the $80 cost of reconnecting a used Ooma device, I often wonder about the high prices received on Ebay for used, but functioning Ooma devices????

aa3815

Post by aa3815 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:17 pm

I realize this is an old thread, however
Since this thing has a USB connection I wonder if someone has tried h**king into it and able to revive it? Not that I condone h**king but only to use it to keep using your investment and not a door stop

Just a thought
Netgrear on Spectum <----Linksys EA3500
Linksys EA3500 <---- pc w/ethernet cable
Linksys EA3500 <===Ooma
Linksys EA3500 <----other things