voice quality gets very poor lately

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
DTR
Re: voice quality gets very poor lately

Post by DTR » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:01 am

I think everyone eagerly awaits the results!! I know I do!!!

jamgold

Post by jamgold » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:51 pm

thecgmguy wrote:
jamgold wrote:I just received firmware 48934 ... will keep the list updated
Any news? I eagerly await your results. :D
have long conference calls tomorrow and will provide update then

jamgold

Post by jamgold » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:28 am

48934 turned out to be more stable for me, I only had short bouts of robotic voice, for maybe a couple of seconds at a time. It was more like a little warble than the previous robotic voice.

A couple of minutes ago my Telo got flashed with 49015. I have a conference call in a couple of minutes. Will report back.

thecgmguy

Post by thecgmguy » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:05 pm

thecgmguy wrote:Update - Ooma is shipping me out a new device. I'm not sure why they're doing this. I'm highly skeptical that this will make a difference but who knows? I'll update you guys on how it turns out.
Just an update in case anyone was curious, my replacement ooma didn't resolve the issue (not that I'm particularly surprised about that). Sure wish I could get a newer firmware version... I'm still on 47785!

thecgmguy

Post by thecgmguy » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:06 pm

jamgold wrote:48934 turned out to be more stable for me, I only had short bouts of robotic voice, for maybe a couple of seconds at a time. It was more like a little warble than the previous robotic voice.

A couple of minutes ago my Telo got flashed with 49015. I have a conference call in a couple of minutes. Will report back.
Just curious... how did you get the newer firmware?

-M

bmanchester

Post by bmanchester » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:42 am

I have been trying to adjust my ooma for months to get the best quality and minimal lag in the voice transmission and I think I am getting close. First, I discovered that the http://www.speedtest.net website displays your speed in Mbps, but the ooma software asks for it in kbps, so therein lies one issue I have been having for months. Now that I have figured that out I have gotten rid of the "underwater" sound that my callers hear when I call them, but is there anything more that I can do to get rid of the lag? I am a modem --> Ooma-->router and here are the results of the tests taken at phonepower.com:

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 18540 kbps
Upload speed: 984 kbps
Download consistency of service: 58 %
Upload consistency of service: 99 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 86 ms
Average download pause: 1 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 93 ms
Average round trip time to server: 95 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 24800 kbps
Route concurrency: 1.3376443
Download TCP forced idle: 77 %
Maximum route speed: --

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.7 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.4 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.2

I have firmware 49339

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:58 am

bmanchester wrote:I have been trying to adjust my ooma for months to get the best quality and minimal lag in the voice transmission and I think I am getting close. First, I discovered that the http://www.speedtest.net website displays your speed in Mbps, but the ooma software asks for it in kbps, so therein lies one issue I have been having for months.
Did you know that when you go to the Speedtest.net home page, you can click on Settings at the top right side? In that page that opens, go down to "Speed Measurement" towards the bottom right side of the page, and set it to Kilobytes or other speed setting that is listed, and you may want to use.

Greg4ooma

Post by Greg4ooma » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:41 pm

that's NOT hard to convert . .

18540 kbps = 18.5 mbps

Move the decimal over 3 places.

Now converting kb/s to kbps and to mbps is a bit trickier!

FX4

Post by FX4 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:45 am

This is an interesting thread. I'm going to try 0/0 QoS. This would imply that there is either a hardware or software problem with Ooma QoS and queuing. I worked on ATM switches years ago that had a queuing problem. The circuit would drop cells that would result in video hits. As it turns out there was an improperly designed chip that an "or" function should have been an "and". If 0/0 solves the problem it's a work around for some other issue. Since Ooma was known to be running well several months back engineering needs to track changes on both the client and server side to see what change caused customer issues. I would also think their QA should be able to isolate the problem since this appears to be far from an isolated issue.

browwi

Post by browwi » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:55 am

I am having the same problem everyone else seems to be having. Voice quality is poor with the added "Special" of random chiming sounds accompanying and overriding the caller's every word. This seems to be most consistent on calls to/from cell phones or Skype.

I am connected cable modem-Ooma-router and have installed the MAC and QOS fixes recommended in this thread.

Following are my speedtest.com readings:
Download speed: 21.1 mbps
Upload speed 3.84 mbps
Download consistency 84%
Upload consistency 92%
Max TCP delay 76ms
Jitter you server 4.4 ms
Jitter server you 5.4 ms
Packet errors all zero
Est. MOS score 4.1

In addition, some other problems I have seen:
1. My Telo handset is intemittently quite slow (2-3 seconds) when I request a service. e.g Requesting contact list.
2. When I get an incoming call, the Telo handset starts ringing 2-3 seconds later than my "old" cordless phones which are plugged into the Telo base station. If I pick up the call on the "old" phones, it picks up instantly. On the telo handset there is a 3-4 second delay to pick up.

As a relatively new user with many years of computer experience, it look to me like you have a significant systemic problem. I hope you can get it fixed before a lot of us get disgusted and cancel.