Calling 911 from ooma with landline

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
ladd
Calling 911 from ooma with landline

Post by ladd » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:30 pm

I found in the user guide that: If you are using your ooma system with a landline and you place a 911 call, the call will be placed over your landline phone service to ensure that your location is quickly identified. 911 calls will continue to work even if your Internet connection is down or there is a power outage in your house.

Is this applicable even if I chose to activate ooma without the landline integration? I plan to port my phone number to ooma but keep the metered local landline from AT&T as a backup for 911, and a security system. I don't want ooma to route any local calls to my landline but it would be nice if I could still plug in the main hub and scout to the wall jacks and rely on ooma to route my 911 calls to landline.

Again, the question is if it works even if ooma has been activated WITHOUT the landline integration.

Is it legal to call 911 just to test it works and figure out which way it's routed? I don't want to end up in jail or cited for abusing 911 like that chicken mcnuggets lady.

murphy

Re: Calling 911 from ooma with landline

Post by murphy » Fri May 01, 2009 2:38 am

ladd wrote:Is it legal to call 911 just to test it works and figure out which way it's routed? I don't want to end up in jail or cited for abusing 911 like that chicken mcnuggets lady.
Call the non-emergency phone number for your 911 call center and schedule a time when you can call 911 to make the test. If they aren't busy, they may tell you to do it immediately.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

bw1

Re: Calling 911 from ooma with landline

Post by bw1 » Fri May 01, 2009 7:03 am

ladd wrote:
Is this applicable even if I chose to activate ooma without the landline integration? I plan to port my phone number to ooma but keep the metered local landline from AT&T as a backup for 911, and a security system. I don't want ooma to route any local calls to my landline but it would be nice if I could still plug in the main hub and scout to the wall jacks and rely on ooma to route my 911 calls to landline.

Again, the question is if it works even if ooma has been activated WITHOUT the landline integration.
Even if you activate ooma without the landline integration, you can connect the wall port of the ooma hub to the wall jack that has an active landline and then if you lose power or internet connection to the ooma hub, the hub will fail over and supply dial tone from your landline to the phones connected to the ooma phone port.

However, with that setup, I believe that calls to 911 would be routed through ooma unless ooma is down as above.

I remember reading that it is possible to configure ooma with a landline but have all local and long distance calls go through ooma. I'm not sure if with this configuration 911 calls would go through the landline.