Call unexpectedly went to voicemail

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
Dan203
Call unexpectedly went to voicemail

Post by Dan203 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:17 pm

I was talking to my father on the phone. We had been talking for about 15 minutes when all the sudden I heard the Ooma dial tone. I assumed we got disconnected some how so I hung up and waited for him to call back. A few seconds later I noticed that the voicemail light on my Tello was blinking. I walked over to the Telo and played the message. It was my Dad saying "Hello, are you still there?" He called back a few seconds later and said that he some how got sent directly to voicemail. And when he called back line 2 on the Telo lit up instead of 1.

I know you can send someone to voicemail by pressing the envelope button on the Telo, but I'm the only one home and I'm sitting 15' away from the Telo, so that didn't happen. Is there some button on the phone itself I might have pushed with my cheek that could do this? I was using a regular phone, not a Telo handset. Is there something else that might have caused this?

Dan

thunderbird

Re: Call unexpectedly went to voicemail

Post by thunderbird » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:19 pm

Dan203 wrote:I was talking to my father on the phone. We had been talking for about 15 minutes when all the sudden I heard the Ooma dial tone. I assumed we got disconnected some how so I hung up and waited for him to call back. A few seconds later I noticed that the voicemail light on my Tello was blinking. I walked over to the Telo and played the message. It was my Dad saying "Hello, are you still there?" He called back a few seconds later and said that he some how got sent directly to voicemail. And when he called back line 2 on the Telo lit up instead of 1.

I know you can send someone to voicemail by pressing the envelope button on the Telo, but I'm the only one home and I'm sitting 15' away from the Telo, so that didn't happen. Is there some button on the phone itself I might have pushed with my cheek that could do this? I was using a regular phone, not a Telo handset. Is there something else that might have caused this?

Dan
I had something very simular to what happened to you, happen to me. In my case, to get the line 1 working agian I had to reboot my Ooma Telo. It hasn't done it since. But I have gotten Ooma Telo Firmware Update 49339 since, so that may make a difference.

jfrog

Post by jfrog » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:15 pm

I appear to be at current firmware level. The unit has gone directly to voice mail on two calls. One from my mom in another state and one from a friend that lives a few blocks away (same area code). I do not have the Send to voice mail activated and have the default security level for privacy. Telephone does not ring but I can hear the person talking on the Ooma voice mail speaker

Help please

Bill D

Post by Bill D » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:24 pm

I've had 3 Ooma Hubs for 2 years and I've had 3 or 4 calls go unexpectedly to VM over those two years. I've reviewed the router logs after each event and saw no anomalies at my end. Since the Ooma VM action is at the Ooma data center, I believe this is likely a random bug at the Ooma data center. I guess for now this is a part of the price you pay (or don't pay) for enjoying Ooma.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:38 pm

jfrog wrote:I appear to be at current firmware level. The unit has gone directly to voice mail on two calls. One from my mom in another state and one from a friend that lives a few blocks away (same area code). I do not have the Send to voice mail activated and have the default security level for privacy. Telephone does not ring but I can hear the person talking on the Ooma voice mail speaker

Help please
To help prevent dropped calls do the following:
To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem and the Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem, your Router and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Router. When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.

Access the Ooma Setup Advanced page. Under Quality of Service set both the Upstream Internet speed and Down Stream Internet speed to 90% of the measured download and Upload speeds as measured by http://www.speedtest.net/ . Click on Update. Then test making and receiving calls.

jaya

Post by jaya » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:23 pm

Someone was talking to me lastnight, he got cutoff... ever since then no one can call my ooma number. It gives a 1 second ring and goes to voice mail. My voice mail is setup for 59 seconds, max allowed.. That is another problem. I had Vonage ever since they started and I have had the option to turn my VM on/off whenever I want. When I told OOma I need to turn off my vm, I was told they can do it, but I will never be able to turn it back on, if I decide to have VM. Very poor design.. They should have at least looked at what their competitors are offering..
I have reset my box several times... Finally I had to hold the envelope symbol on the box and reset that. This is not the 1st time this happened either.
Very disappointed with OOma. Not dependable..
A call will not go for 30 mins or more without getting cut off...

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:00 pm

jaya wrote:Someone was talking to me lastnight, he got cutoff... ever since then no one can call my ooma number. It gives a 1 second ring and goes to voice mail. My voice mail is setup for 59 seconds, max allowed..

Very disappointed with OOma. Not dependable..
A call will not go for 30 mins or more without getting cut off...
FYI, what you are describing is not the norm with Ooma.
Sounds like your Ooma is going offline intermittently. Check out the following optimal setups for your reference:
Before the router: viewtopic.php?t=9536#p66155
After the router: viewtopic.php?t=12403