trouble with integrated router

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
cinazu
trouble with integrated router

Post by cinazu » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:02 pm

We recently purchased a Telo, and we have UVerse with an integrated router that only has one port on the back of it. I purchased a Dynex 5 port gigabit ethernet switch to use, so I have the router connected directly to the DSL port in the wall, then the switch connected to the router, and the telo plugged into the switch, along with our time machine computer back-up system.

Everytime I plug the Telo into the ethernet switch, the internet slows down significantly. All the computers in our house use wireless to connect, and it shows a strong connection to the network but the speed is frustratingly slow. As soon as I unplug the Telo, the connection speed increases back to normal.

We do have a cordless phone connected to the Telo - a Panasonic DECT 6.0 PLUS. Could that be causing the problem (it's physically located very close to the router and switch). Needless to say, the OOMA isn't worth it to us if we can't use the internet at our normal speeds.

Thanks for any suggestions!

thunderbird

Re: trouble with integrated router

Post by thunderbird » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:22 pm

cinazu wrote:We recently purchased a Telo, and we have UVerse with an integrated router that only has one port on the back of it. I purchased a Dynex 5 port gigabit ethernet switch to use, so I have the router connected directly to the DSL port in the wall, then the switch connected to the router, and the telo plugged into the switch, along with our time machine computer back-up system.

Everytime I plug the Telo into the ethernet switch, the internet slows down significantly. All the computers in our house use wireless to connect, and it shows a strong connection to the network but the speed is frustratingly slow. As soon as I unplug the Telo, the connection speed increases back to normal.

We do have a cordless phone connected to the Telo - a Panasonic DECT 6.0 PLUS. Could that be causing the problem (it's physically located very close to the router and switch). Needless to say, the OOMA isn't worth it to us if we can't use the internet at our normal speeds.

Thanks for any suggestions!
To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing by doing the following:
If your connection is Modem/Router-Switch-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem, your Router and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Router. When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.

Next:
Access the Ooma Setup Advanced page. Under Quality of Service set both the Upstream Internet speed and Down Stream Internet speed to approximately 90% of the measured Upload and Download speeds of your Internet, as measured by http://www.speedtest.net/.
Click on Update, then test.

cinazu

Post by cinazu » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:47 pm

Thanks - so far so good! Everything seems to be running correctly.

cinazu

Post by cinazu » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:47 pm

Well, it worked briefly, but then the speeds shut down again. Is it possible that the ethernet switch isn't working properly? I ended up having to unplug that from the router in order to get the wireless signal up again, but I don't understand why having it plugged in would affect the wireless signal?

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:44 pm

cinazu wrote:Well, it worked briefly, but then the speeds shut down again. Is it possible that the ethernet switch isn't working properly? I ended up having to unplug that from the router in order to get the wireless signal up again, but I don't understand why having it plugged in would affect the wireless signal?

Some more things to do for testing and troubleshooting,:
First:
Go into the router and change the Wi-Fi channel from automatic, to one of the listed frequenceies and Save, then test. If that doesn't work, change to a different lower or higher Wi-Fi frequencey and test again.

If you find no imporvement:
Move the cordless phone base to at least four feet away from the Ooma device, and Router Modem.
Move the Ooma device at least four feet away from the Router/Modem and phone base.
(Do this even if you have to put them on a couple of chairs to accomplish this test).
Then test.

If you find no improvement:
Temporarily disconnect the Swtich and Time Machine. Connect the Ooma Telo directly to the Router port, then test. If you see improvement, connect the Switch back up to the Router, then the Ooma Telo to the switch, leaving the Time Machine disconnected for testing. Reboot devices as necessary. Then test.

If you find no imporvement:
Try using just a corded phone, with all of the the cordless phone base(s) in the house unplugged and test. Note: for this test all of the wireless phone base(S) in the house must be unplugged.

cinazu

Post by cinazu » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:29 pm

None of these worked. Well, I didn't try the last one because we don't own a corded phone. I really think I am just going to send it back - we don't have to have a home phone, as much as I would like to have one. Everyone made it sound like I could just set it up and go, which clearly isn't working. I'm not the most tech savvy person, but I've never had this much trouble setting something up before.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:00 pm

cinazu wrote:None of these worked. Well, I didn't try the last one because we don't own a corded phone. I really think I am just going to send it back - we don't have to have a home phone, as much as I would like to have one. Everyone made it sound like I could just set it up and go, which clearly isn't working. I'm not the most tech savvy person, but I've never had this much trouble setting something up before.
Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Speed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________

If you do the Java fix in your computer, instructions located at viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12085. Then you can click on the Speedtest Phonepower Advanced tab, then "view test" at the bottom. Instead of filling in the blanks above, you can select CTRL+A to highlight, CTRL+C to copy; CTRL+V for paste into the Ooma Forum.

cinazu

Post by cinazu » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:08 pm

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 4867 kbps
Upload speed: 713 kbps
Download consistency of service: 75 %
Upload consistency of service: 99 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 128 ms
Average download pause: 2 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 71 ms
Average round trip time to server: 71 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 5280 kbps
Route concurrency: 1.0846468
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 7384 kbps

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.8 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 0.9 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.2

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:36 pm

cinazu:
The Phonepower Speedtest reading is good.

Usually setting the Ooma Setup MAC address to Use Built In or the 90% Quality of Service setting helps.

Try setting both of your Ooma Setup Quality of Service settings to Zero.

Next time you have the LAN slow down, try un-powering and repowering just the Modem/Router, and not the Ooma device. If that doesn't help, then un-power and repower just the Ooma device.

Report back if the un-powering and repowering works, and if it worked for the Modem/Router only, or the Ooma device only.

Please provide the Modem/Router manufacture name and model number.

cinazu

Post by cinazu » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:13 am

Well, my husband just informed me that Time Machine is actually acting as our router, not the AT&T modem we got. I haven't tried your other fixes yet, but would this change how I would try to do the setup? There are several ports on the back of the time machine. Would I just follow the regular instructions for a non-integrated setup?

I'm hoping this explains why it never worked!