Snowbird options

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
Hal
Snowbird options

Post by Hal » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:53 am

I'll be heading south to Florida for the winter. My first thought was to take my Ooma Telo with me since I'll have broadband In Florida.

But I'll also have a normal landline phone in Florida. Since I'm paying for Ooma Premier, I thought it may be easier to just forward Ooma to my Cell for the trip down and to the landline when I get there.

Then I finally realized if I forward all calls, I can just use Ooma as a Service and power off my Ooma box entirely while I'm gone. Then I can just cancel my Internet service. This is particularly intriguing because my cable internet is unreasonably expensive and if I cancel the service while I'm gone, I can sign-up for a "New customer" deal when I come back.

Do I have this right? Am I missing anything?

murphy

Re: Snowbird options

Post by murphy » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:29 am

It depends on how long you will be gone. Ooma can cancel your account on the assumption that it has been abandoned if your Ooma box doesn't connect for a period of time. I don't know what the time period is. Take the Ooma with you and use it in Florida.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:05 am

After 6 months offline, Ooma may cancel your account: viewtopic.php?t=12624#p88320

If Premier though, it maybe a different story as long as payments are made?

greened3

Post by greened3 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:47 am

Curious as to why you're not porting your numbers to Ooma. I go to FL for the winter and I have recently ported my FL AT&T landline number to Ooma. I still have a CT AT&T landline number. If satisfied with Ooma in FL, next summer I will port my CT number to Ooma. With Premier service I just need one Telo for both numbers. I have Comcast internet at both locations and will cancel internet in CT before leaving for FL and vice-versa.

Hal

Post by Hal » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:35 am

greened3 wrote:Curious as to why you're not porting your numbers to Ooma. I go to FL for the winter and I have recently ported my FL AT&T landline number to Ooma. I still have a CT AT&T landline number. If satisfied with Ooma in FL, next summer I will port my CT number to Ooma. With Premier service I just need one Telo for both numbers. I have Comcast internet at both locations and will cancel internet in CT before leaving for FL and vice-versa.
I do have my NY number ported to Ooma. But I'm just renting in Fl for this winter. It sounds like you own in CT & FL. Since my rental has a land-line, I thought I'd just forward calls when I get there (I don't know the number yet). The only downside I've come up with is that the outgoing calls won't show my number on caller-id.

I'm curious, do you actually cancel internet service? I think a lot of people just suspend it.

greened3

Post by greened3 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:09 am

I cancel internet and premium options because in CT service resumes April 30 automatically and I don't return until June. Canceling also allows me to take advantage of any premium option promotions offered to customers who have not had them for six months or more. Also. why not bring the Telo and router to FL? Cable companies offer internet to renters without a contract,

Hal

Post by Hal » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:16 am

greened3 wrote:I cancel internet and premium options because in CT service resumes April 30 automatically and I don't return until June. Canceling also allows me to take advantage of any premium option promotions offered to customers who have not had them for six months or more. Also. why not bring the Telo and router to FL? Cable companies offer internet to renters without a contract,
I'm newly retired and this is my first extended winter away so it's a learning experience. Since I'm renting, I'll be loading up the Van with every little thing I think of. My wife just said I have to take the bikes. Again, I think you own and probably don't need to cart half your life with you. But thanks, I'll consider your advice. The Ooma really doesn't add much to the load.

Lakeo

Post by Lakeo » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:21 am

Just as a "data point," here is the way I handle it.

I live in Oregon and winter in Palm Springs. I have both a Portland and Palm Springs number assigned to my OOMA. The OOMA box travels with me between Portland and PS. I give out the PS number to PS friends and businesses while I'm there. Makes me appear to be a local. ;)

Since I have an alarm system, I maintain a land line with minimal service in Portland, but with "Call Following." The land line number is our main number, (had it for 35 years) but it is set to always forward to my Portland OOMA number, whether I'm in Oregon or PS. At some point I'll replace my alarm system, with cell access, and drop our land line and port the number to OOMA. When on the road between locations, or doing other traveling, OOMA forwards to our cell phone.

I suspend my Portland TV and internet service while in PS. This allows me to keep our ISP email addresses active. I cancel my PS ISP when gone.

Two friends with OOMA that winter in PS handle things in a similar fashion.

So far, works like a charm!

lakeo

s35flyer

Post by s35flyer » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:07 am

So let me play back what I think Im hearing. Im new to Ooma, but very impressed so far. I have premium.

We snowbird between WI and AZ. I had line lands and internet at both locations but suspend internet when at the other. The thing is I do have a security system at the WI location which needs the land line and it makes the calls to the service center long distance if need be.

Thinking out loud...So I get local numbers at both locations and have done so for AZ porting that number over and disconnecting the old land line service. I carry the ooma with me to both locations and forward the WI land line to the local WI ooma number. Then I think the land line in WI is only needed for the security service and it needs call forwarding and a minimalist long distance capability.

Does this sound about right? My wife still works and needs the phone most all day for conf. calls, What do I need for the two line capability. I have a ooma telo unit. I also several two line capable land line phones are these of any use to me?

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:20 am

Add a Linx to the system and you can feed two lines to your two line phones.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx