Bluetooth Adapter and Nokia phones

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
adrman
Bluetooth Adapter and Nokia phones

Post by adrman » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:55 pm

Why is the BA not compatible with Nokia?

thunderbird

Re: Bluetooth Adapter and Nokia phones

Post by thunderbird » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:03 pm

adrman wrote:Why is the BA not compatible with Nokia?
If you are using the compatiblity list, it doesn't list Nokia. But if you have a Nokia phone and the Bluetooth adapter plugged into the Ooma Telo, I would just try it. It will probably work. We have cell phone that aren't on the list and they work fine.

See:
https://www.ooma.com/products/ooma-blue ... patibility

See also:
https://www.ooma.com/app/support/ooma-b ... r#anchor-3

adrman

Post by adrman » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:19 am

I finally got it to work, but I had to connect via the home port on the telo and use "add device" to pair my nokia c6-01. It now works perfectly.

leob

Post by leob » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:44 pm

My old Nokia 6125 works perfectly with the handsfree system in my car, but Ooma cannot support it reliably after all necessary registration procedures. I see "Connected to Ooma-Telo", then immediately "Disconnected from Ooma-Telo"; sometimes I see the "car handsfree" icon, then it stays connected maybe for a few minutes, but any keypress causes it to disconnect. A call to the cellphone does not get forwarded to Ooma even though the "handsfree" icon is on.

I am appalled at the level of competency of Ooma's programmers. :cry:

Cyberchat

Post by Cyberchat » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:59 pm

leob wrote:My old Nokia 6125 works perfectly with the handsfree system in my car, but Ooma cannot support it reliably after all necessary registration procedures. I see "Connected to Ooma-Telo", then immediately "Disconnected from Ooma-Telo"; sometimes I see the "car handsfree" icon, then it stays connected maybe for a few minutes, but any keypress causes it to disconnect. A call to the cellphone does not get forwarded to Ooma even though the "handsfree" icon is on.

leob,

Is it possible that your car is within Bluetooth range when you are trying to pair it with the OOMA Telo? If so, you might have a conflict.
First year: Modem-->OomaTelo-->Router
Now: Modem-->Router-->OomaTelo
Ooma Premier, two phone numbers
Ooma Handset
AT&T DECT-6.0 two-line base with four remotes & headset

EX Bell

Post by EX Bell » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:59 pm

The programmers have done their best I'm sure. Bluetooth compatibility is a moving target and standardization among manufacturers is a myth. Implementation is different for every manufacturer and compatibility can change from model to model within a single manufacturer. If you've ever done any testing of multiple bluetooth adapters and phones, you'll find that there is a big range of what is compatible and by how much.

There is room for improvement with how the bluetooth functionality performs on Ooma, but I don't fault them for a particular phone that might not be 100% compatible or not at all, since I know from experience that it's not due to a failure on their part.
Customer Since: 1/17/12
Service: Premier 1/30/2012
BELL Canada Port: 1/30/12 - 2/13/12
TekSavvy via BELL FTTN: 25 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: Sagemcom 2864 > Cisco E2000 > Time Capsule v1 > Telo
Handsets: Panasonic KX-TG6655S DECT 6.0

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:03 pm

leob wrote:My old Nokia 6125 works perfectly with the handsfree system in my car, but Ooma cannot support it reliably after all necessary registration procedures. I see "Connected to Ooma-Telo", then immediately "Disconnected from Ooma-Telo"; sometimes I see the "car handsfree" icon, then it stays connected maybe for a few minutes, but any keypress causes it to disconnect. A call to the cellphone does not get forwarded to Ooma even though the "handsfree" icon is on.

I know Nokia is still popular in Europe but it ain't the brand most people have in mind when testing here.
I give you a perfect example. Mercedez is from Europe but my friend's brand new R Class handfree won't pair with his Nokia (even Mercedez ditched Nokia). He dumped his Nokia and got an iPhone instead.

leob

Post by leob » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:08 pm

Cyberchat wrote:
leob wrote: Is it possible that your car is within Bluetooth range when you are trying to pair it with the OOMA Telo? If so, you might have a conflict.
Is this a joke? The car is in the garage within the range, but its electrical system is powered down.

Cyberchat

Post by Cyberchat » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:29 am

leob wrote:
Cyberchat wrote:
leob wrote: Is it possible that your car is within Bluetooth range when you are trying to pair it with the OOMA Telo? If so, you might have a conflict.
Is this a joke? The car is in the garage within the range, but its electrical system is powered down.
leob,

It depends! For newer vehicles with built-in bluetooth, the electrical system normally shuts off after the courtesy accessory electrical timeout or when a door is opened, whichever occurs first.

For addons, like a GPS system with bluetooth handsfree features, its not necessarily true that the bluetooth device is automatically powered off after the vehicle is turned off. We had a bluetooth conflict problem when one of our cell phones was still paired with a GPS in a vehicle and it was also configured to pair with our DECT-6.0 base station. This is when we discovered an issue with one of our vehicles always having the 12v power outlets being on.

For one of our vehicles, the 12v power outlets (old cigarette lighter outlet) power off after the courtesy electrical timeout or when a door is opened, whichever occurs first. Thus we developed the habit of relying on the auto-power-off of the vehicle rather than powering off the GPS. For another of our vehicles, an SUV, the 12v power outlets are allways on and our bluetooth conflict issue helped us discover that fact.

Thus, my question to you was not a joke. It was a possible source of your problem. Good luck on resolving your problem.
First year: Modem-->OomaTelo-->Router
Now: Modem-->Router-->OomaTelo
Ooma Premier, two phone numbers
Ooma Handset
AT&T DECT-6.0 two-line base with four remotes & headset