Dead Telo

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
dawall2002
Dead Telo

Post by dawall2002 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:28 pm

My Telo has been working well for two years until yesterday.

The power had gone out and service later restored but I then found the Telo was displaying, line one and two lit up solid blue... no blinking. It goes directly to that state when it is powered off then on, It is basically a blue light brick now with no access to it .

My internet connection is fine, I have basic service and the Telo was on a surge suppressor. If you have some suggestions that would be great but the Telo seems dead. BTW I left it disconnected over night to see if it might reboot it self but no luck.

The unit is about one month out of warranty...luckly I purchased it at Costco. I plan to return the dead one and pick up a new one tomorrow.

So since I am going to replace it with another telo do I just call before I plug the new one in?

I am not canceling anything, only replacing the unit with a new one of the same type.

From what I have read here, it looks like in some instances, you are charged to re-register but I do not think that will apply to me

Thanks for feed back.

Dan

murphy

Re: Dead Telo

Post by murphy » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:47 pm

Yes, call customer service before you connect the new one. Do not activate it.

Do you have the Telo before or after your router?
If it's before the router did you power cycle the modem and then turn on the Telo?
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

dawall2002

Post by dawall2002 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:30 pm

Yes, call customer service before you connect the new one. Do not activate it.

Do you have the Telo before or after your router?

I have it hooked up like option 2b. I am on a on a microwave wireless connection and have no modem It is just cat 5 cable.

I rebooted the router

The telo displays line one and line two both lit solid, even with nothing plugged in

If it's before the router did you power cycle the modem and then turn on the Telo?

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:23 pm

dawall2002:
When after repowering the Ooma Telo, you only see the line 1 & 2 blue lights, and no other lights have come on during the boot, other than where the Internet cable plugs into the Ooma Telo Internet port, there is little or no hope. The Ooma Telo boot loader has failed. Even though the Ooma Telo was on a surge suppressor, it still probably took a power surge resulting in this failure.

You have to call Ooma Customer Service and tell them that you are replacing an Ooma Telo that has failed. Ooma will then get the information from you, for the new unit, and add it to your Ooma pofile. There should be no charge for this transaction. Do not attempt to active the replacement Ooma Telo on line which could result in a charge.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

billlawton

Post by billlawton » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:17 am

Amazing coincidence. I experienced nearly the exact same events. Purchased telo in Nov 2009 from Costco. Mine died about 2 weeks ago (not sure, but likely after a 10 min power outage). I also have mine plugged into surge suppressor / battery backup.

I'm going to try to exchange mine at Costco as well. Good news is Costco is currently stocking telo packaged with wireless adapter - nice upgrade. However, I believe new telos do not have POTS line in for regular 911 support.

billlawton

Post by billlawton » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:32 am

Costco took the return no problem. Up and running again after about 20 mins on phone with customer support. Nice to have phone service again. Costco had units in store w/o wireless adapter for $20 less. Not a bad deal since new purchase was $50 less than my original telo :D