Installation issues

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
Chipperdawg
Installation issues

Post by Chipperdawg » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:19 pm

Sorry if the answers are posted elsewhere... I have spent hours searching over the forum and thus far nothing has worked.

I have tried to setup the Telo before the router and after the router. If it is before the router then all internet is blocked everywhere. Currently I have it setup after the router. Motorola Modem--->Linksys Router-->Telo-->Desktop wired.

However I am unable to access the 172.27.35.1 to open the setup pages from the desktop. The desktop cannot access the internet. Does the Telo not have DHCP turned on by default as my desktop doesn't even have an IP address? I would like to have the Telo before the router for call quality purposes but it would work after the router as well. Any thoughts on how to access the telo setup pages?

Telo does work, but it is slow... 1.5 second delay in voice (Internet is fast... 22-30mbps) . I also have the Telo Handset and it is slow.... dial a number and the dialed number shows up on the screen 30 seconds later... is this normal? If I power off the handset, the Telo restarts.

Any help getting this installed would be great! Thank you!

I live in UT and picked a UT number, but I have a CA number? Does it take a few days to get the right number?

thunderbird

Re: Installation issues

Post by thunderbird » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:39 pm

Chipperdawg:
For a Modem-Router-Ooma setup, you must temporarily connect a network cable from the Home port of the Ooma device, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Tempoarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if Wi-Fi is turned on in the computer. remove power from the Ooma Telo and the computer. Repower the Ooma Telo. When the Ooma Telo is done booting, repower the computer. Type http://172.27.35.1 in the computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages opens.

If you want to access Ooma Setup through a computer connected to the router, reserve an IP address with a permenant lease, in your router for the Ooma Telo. Next access Ooma Setup and click on the Advanced tab. Go to the bottom of the page and Port Forward 172.27.35.1:80. Next enter the IP address that you reserved for the Ooma device in a computer browser connected to the router. Example: http://192.168.0.xxx

Access My Ooma https://my.ooma.com/system and enable Ten digit Calling.

When dialing a number adding a # Hash mark after the last number will speed the dialing. Example 1-xxx-xxx-xxxx#
Last edited by thunderbird on Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tommies

Post by tommies » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:01 pm

The telo setup page 172.27.35.1 is only available to any pc connected (directly or indirectly) to its HOME port.

If you have your telo behind (and thus protected by the router) there is a trick to make it works from any pc/laptop in your home LAN.

First you need to temporary connect a pc to the telo HOME port with a network cable (either bring a laptop next to the telo or bring the telo next to your desktop.)

Point the browser to http://172.27.35.1
  • On the Interet Settings page, near the bottom, change the MAC address of the INTERNET port to use 'Build in', then click update. Take note of this MAC.
  • On the Advanced Settings page, disable QoS by set both numbers to 0(zero), and click update. Then add a port forward rule for port 80: forward port 80 to the telo HOME port ip (ie 172.27.35.1). Making sure the check box for 'Allow access to web interface from WIRELESS port' is clear/not checked.
In your router setting, giving the telo a 'static ip' base on the MAC address above. On some router, static ip is call reserved ip address. The point is guarantee the telo always having the same ip address. Then you can bookmark this ip address of the telo in your browser. The port forward rule above will allow you to see the telo setup page.
tommies

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:09 pm

Chipperdawg wrote:1.5 second delay in voice
This is just perception right?
Chipperdawg wrote:Telo Handset and it is slow.... dial a number and the dialed number shows up on the screen 30 seconds later
There is a bit of delay on the phone display but....are you exaggerating?
Chipperdawg wrote:If I power off the handset, the Telo restarts
This is not normal.

Check out the following optimal setups for your reference:
Before the router: viewtopic.php?t=9536#p66155
After the router: viewtopic.php?t=12403

Chipperdawg

Post by Chipperdawg » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:55 pm

thunderbird wrote:Chipperdawg:
For a Modem-Router-Ooma setup, you must temporarily connect a network cable from the Home port of the Ooma device, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Tempoarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if Wi-Fi is turned on in the computer. remove power from the Ooma Telo and the computer. Repower the Ooma Telo. When the Ooma Telo is done booting, repower the computer. Type http://172.27.35.1 in the computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages opens.
#
Currently it is setup that way. My house has a wired network in place and only have wifi on laptops. Desktop is plugged directly to the home network port of telo and unable to open the ooma setup page.
lbmofo wrote:
Chipperdawg wrote:1.5 second delay in voice
This is just perception right?
Chipperdawg wrote:Telo Handset and it is slow.... dial a number and the dialed number shows up on the screen 30 seconds later
There is a bit of delay on the phone display but....are you exaggerating?
Chipperdawg wrote:If I power off the handset, the Telo restarts
This is not normal.

Check out the following optimal setups for your reference:
Before the router: viewtopic.php?t=9536#p66155
After the router: viewtopic.php?t=12403
Voice delay is not just my perception. there is a delay of 1 to 1.5 seconds. Doesn't matter if it is before or after the router.
The delay on the handset is not constant. I can dial a number sometimes and it shows up like I would imagine it should... other times I wait, and wait, and wait.... it can take a long time.

I have re-setup all items in my home network. I have updated the handsets to the newest SW version. I have called tech support. I have reset my telo and handset several times and powered up each item of the network in proper order.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:05 pm

Check to see if the 909 number works first (it hasn't worked for me for a while), check your delay this way: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9569&start=30#p67874

As for the 909 number, it won't work for me even when calling using Ooma app. Calling using landline doesn't work either. My Ooma must have no delays :)

Chipperdawg

Post by Chipperdawg » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:20 pm

I am thinking that there is something wrong with the Telo device. I bought it new from Amazon, and had trouble activating it. I'm going to return this one and see if I can get a different one to work.

Thanks y'all!

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:33 pm

Your home is hardwired? Is the router feeding the house? By after router, you mean you are plugging Ooma into an ethernet port in the wall? By before router, you are feeding Ooma's "Home Network" port to the router?