Porting from Time Warner Digital Phone - Help?

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
NYGuy
Porting from Time Warner Digital Phone - Help?

Post by NYGuy » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:40 pm

Hi, have been trying last few weeks to get my number ported from Time Warner (TW) Digital Phone to Ooma, but Ooma repeatedly says TW wants ACCOUNT# and PIN. I've given them my account# but TW doesn't know of any PIN on my account.

Can anyone provide guidance on how I can get this resolved? I've been going in circles with Ooma and TW support reps over this... Thanks!

thunderbird

Re: Porting from Time Warner Digital Phone - Help?

Post by thunderbird » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:33 pm

NYGuy wrote:Hi, have been trying last few weeks to get my number ported from Time Warner (TW) Digital Phone to Ooma, but Ooma repeatedly says TW wants ACCOUNT# and PIN. I've given them my account# but TW doesn't know of any PIN on my account.

Can anyone provide guidance on how I can get this resolved? I've been going in circles with Ooma and TW support reps over this... Thanks!
When should you change your PIN? You should change your PIN:

•When you first get digital cable, your default PIN (Personal Identification Number) numbers are usually set up as 0000. We recommend you change this PIN to something unique that you can remember.
•For added security, it's a good idea to change your PIN numbers on a regular basis.
•There are 2 different PIN numbers you can set:
◦BLOCKING PIN for Parental Control
◦PURCHASE PIN for Purchase Protection

NYGuy

Post by NYGuy » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:27 am

That PIN is just for "parental controls" though. Would parental controls PIN really be what they're asking for?

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:29 am

NYGuy wrote:That PIN is just for "parental controls" though. Would parental controls PIN really be what they're asking for?
Actually if you read closely, they talk about two pins? I would start here.

NYGuy

Post by NYGuy » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:32 am

Both PINs are for the same thing - parental control ;)

Though it begs another question - which PIN should Ooma then submit to TW? I guess I should just make them the same, then it won't matter :)

NYGuy

Post by NYGuy » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:59 am

Porting finally completed. Seems it was a problem with the exact "formatting" of the account # and customer code in the request. TWC expects the format to be exactly as shown on their records -- else they will keep rejecting it with an error about account # or PIN being wrong.

To help future Time Warner Digital Phone -> Ooma porting requests I've included what solved my problem (thanks to the OUTSTANDING persistence from a very special Ooma rep (won't say name but you know who you are :D ):
"TWC its not that easy it seems. TWC has various account number formats.

1. Like yours, has the dashes xxxxxxx-xx-xxx AND a Customer Code xxxx.
2. Dashes placed in different areas AND a Customer Code xxxx-xxxxxx-x-x
2. No Dashes, xxxxxxxxxxxx and NO Customer Code.
3. No Dashes, xxxxxxxxxxxx AND a Customer Code.

etc.... etc...

It looks like what ever is in the bar code on the return slip may be the true account number but it's not an exact science.

TWC swears they dont require a PIN to port but they DO, its just better called a Customer Code is all. I tried nearly all combinations till this one gave us a FOC date to port."

So have the Ooma rep submit different account# and/or customer code formats until they're accepted.