Wi-Fi Wireless USB Dongle adpater Report/Setup

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
thunderbird
Re: Wi-Fi Ooma Telo USB Dongle adpater Report/Setup

Post by thunderbird » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:43 am

sgtdave:
Usually changing to another browser, or temporarily turning off Internet and virus software will allow access to Ooma Setup.

Just in case the MIFI is causing the problem, if you still have your regular Internet, you could temporarily connect back to the Ooma Telo Internet port with a network cable and see if that allows you to access Ooma Setup.

You could also do a factory reset of the Ooma Telo.
Dial *#*#099 on the phone attached to Telo to issue a factory reset.
A recording will come on the line and ask if you really want to do a factory reset. Press 1 for yes, and press 2 or hang up for no. After pressing 1, you will hear a busy signal. After hanging up, the number 1 light stays lit yellow on the face of the Ooma Telo. After a short period of time, only the number 1 & 2 lights remain lit blue. Then after more time, the Ooma Telo goes into the boot sequence, and comes back on line. If you are using an Ooma Wi-Fi dongle, you have to access Ooma Setup and rescan for the Wi-Fi network before a Wi-Fi connection can be made. The same is true for DSL, if you have to enter Connection type PPoE and a Name and Password for the Internet provider connection. You will have to reset MAC address to Use Built In, reset your Quality of Service Upstream/Downstream Internet Speed settings, and Bluetooth settings if you are using Ooma’s USB Bluetooth dongle.

Sometimes the *#*#099 command has to be issued three or four times, before the factory reset sequence starts and is completed.

If you find that the problem is with the MIFI to Ooma Wi-Fi, you should report that problem to Ooma Customer Support so that they can come up with a fix.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:24 am

Wi-Fi Password:
The Ooma Telo can take up to a 32 Character password for the Wireless Wi-Fi USB dongle Adapter. But you can only see 18 keystrokes being entered. Continue to enter the entire password, even though you can’t see it being entered in the Wireless password box. The Ooma Telo will accept the entire password.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:28 am

Last updated Tue Dec 27, 2011.

billrector

Post by billrector » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:50 pm

I just purchased the wifi adapter and the bluetooth dongle for my Ooma Telco. In order to use both of these, I purchased a USB hub that both are connected to and then the hub is connected to the USB port on the Telo.

I too had trouble accessing the setup page until I used the numerical URL. I was then able to access setup and see my home network (which is DSL). I selected the network to add it and it asked for my password which I entered. At that point I got an error message saying that it could not add the network. There was no explanation as to why it did not work.

The Ooma was fully set up and working properly before the purchase of the wifi adapter, but it was setup as Modem=>Ooma=>Router before. I was getting some noise on the line so I decided to move the Ooma away from the TV, hence the wifi adapter purchase. Now the Ooma is setup as modem=>Router>Ooma.

Any ideas as to what I need to do to get this working? I'm also waiting for a response from the team at Ooma.

Thanks!

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:23 am

billrector wrote:I just purchased the wifi adapter and the bluetooth dongle for my Ooma Telco. In order to use both of these, I purchased a USB hub that both are connected to and then the hub is connected to the USB port on the Telo.

I too had trouble accessing the setup page until I used the numerical URL. I was then able to access setup and see my home network (which is DSL). I selected the network to add it and it asked for my password which I entered. At that point I got an error message saying that it could not add the network. There was no explanation as to why it did not work.

The Ooma was fully set up and working properly before the purchase of the wifi adapter, but it was setup as Modem=>Ooma=>Router before. I was getting some noise on the line so I decided to move the Ooma away from the TV, hence the wifi adapter purchase. Now the Ooma is setup as modem=>Router>Ooma.

Any ideas as to what I need to do to get this working? I'm also waiting for a response from the team at Ooma.

Thanks!
For using the Ooma Wireless Wi-Fi dongle, you access Ooma Setup and then Click on the Wireless tab. This is where you setup your Wireless connection. If you go to page one of this Ooma Forum thread, you will find detailed instructions for installing your Ooma Wireless Wi-Fi Internet connection.

billrector

Post by billrector » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:53 am

Thunderbird,

I guess I was not clear in my earlier post. I have read all the setup directions. I am able to connect a computer to my Telo using an Ethernet cable attached to the "home" port. Using the computer I am able to access the Ooma setup page and I am able to see and select my wireless network. It then asks me to enter my network password, which I do. It then comes back with "cannot add network" in red letters.

Thanks.

murphy

Post by murphy » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:29 am

If you have any special charachers (use letters and numbers only) in your SSID or your key get rid of them and try again.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

billrector

Post by billrector » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:09 pm

No.....I have no special characters in my password. It is a 9 digit password composed of all letters with no characters.

Thanks or the suggestion.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:43 pm

billrector wrote:No.....I have no special characters in my password. It is a 9 digit password composed of all letters with no characters.

Thanks or the suggestion.
The same applies to the Router Wi-Fi SSID (Wi-Fi network Name).

If the Router Wi-Fi Name and/or Password doesn't have any special characters, do a factory reset of the Ooma Telo and try again:

Ooma Telo Factory Reset:
Dial *#*#099 on the phone attached to Telo to issue a factory reset.
A recording will come on the line and ask if you really want to do a factory reset. Press 1 for yes, and press 2 or hang up for no. After pressing 1, you will hear a busy signal. After hanging up, the number 1 light stays lit yellow on the face of the Ooma Telo. After a short period of time, only the number 1 & 2 lights remain lit blue. Then after more time, the Ooma Telo goes into the boot sequence, and comes back on line. If you are using an Ooma Wi-Fi dongle, you have to access Ooma Setup and rescan for the Wi-Fi network before a Wi-Fi connection can be made. The same is true for DSL, if you have to enter Connection type PPoE and a Name and Password for the Internet provider connection. You will have to reset MAC address to Use Built In, reset your Quality of Service Upstream/Downstream Internet Speed settings, and Bluetooth settings if you are using Ooma’s USB Bluetooth dongle. You may have to re-register the Ooma Telo handsets, see procedure later in text.

Note: Sometimes the *#*#099 command has to be issued three or four times, before the factory reset sequence starts and is completed.

billrector

Post by billrector » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:48 am

Thunderbird,

Thanks so much. That was it. I had an apostrophe in the network name and once I removed that I was able to add and connect to the network. All is well now!

Thanks