Could it be AT&T modem router?

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
tjnamtiw
Could it be AT&T modem router?

Post by tjnamtiw » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:29 pm

As I read through many of the problems being posted here, I have flashbacks to my own situation early this year. I have AT&T DSL service. This spring my old Westell modem gave up the ghost so I decided to get the AT&T 2 Wire modem since that was the only modem they would troubleshoot over the phone. Well, I had so many problems with it including dropped calls, ringing with no one there, poor voice quality, just about everything listed here on this forum. ATT was no help, of course, other than to tell me to exchange the modem/router. I did that but had the same problems. The statistics were terrible with many dropped packets. Finally, ATT agreed to send out a technician to check my line. As soon as he saw my 2 Wire router/modem he said it was a piece of junk, went to his truck, and gave me a new Motorola unit that they use just for businesses. We plugged it up and PERFECT! The statistics were perfect and speeds increased 2 fold. No more problems.
How many people posting here have that darn 2 Wire POS? Get rid of it!
I also just have a single pair running from the modem directly to the outside box.. Had it BEFORE we changed modems. Then I have all house wires disconnected in box and wire nutted together for each color. All phone jacks work just fine.

thunderbird

Re: Could it be AT&T modem router?

Post by thunderbird » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:52 pm

tjnamtiw:
Good Post. This will help some chronic problem AT&T 2 wire modem/router, Ooma users.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:39 am

I went through a similar experience with the AT&T's modem only. I finally bought my own modem and all my problems went away. Sometimes people don't understand how a modem can really make the difference. Glad you shared.

Wayne
ooma customer since January 2009
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Lifetime Premier Member

tjnamtiw

Post by tjnamtiw » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:24 pm

WayneDsr wrote:I went through a similar experience with the AT&T's modem only. I finally bought my own modem and all my problems went away. Sometimes people don't understand how a modem can really make the difference. Glad you shared.

Wayne
Thanks. It is truly amazing how much difference a modem can make. The one I'm using now, which is supported by AT&T is a Motorola Netopia GZ53347. If I did not have Ooma, I would have never known that the 2Wire modem was not working correctly. I had service at what I THOUGHT was a reasonable rate. When I hooked up the Motorola, it was like I dumped nitro in the 'tank'. You may think you have a great modem but you have to look at all the stats over time to see how it is doing. Look at DSL retrains for one thing.

bmccollum

Post by bmccollum » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:31 pm

My parents have the Ooma Telo and were using the 2Wire 2701 modem/router combo unit and the telephone service was horrible, their phone calls would sporadically disconnect, their conversations had a ton of voice lag, their wireless laptop would constantly lose signal, etc. The 2Wire unit finally bit the dust about a month ago and I suggested that I replace it w/a third party modem/router unit since the 2Wire unit is historically rated as an unreliable piece of junk.

Can't remember the exact model #, but I replaced the 2Wire w/a Netgear modem/router combo unit and pretty well all of the previous issues they experienced are resolved. There's a *slight* bit of voice lag still in their conversations going thru the Ooma Telo, but it has reduced heavily from what was previously experienced and is pretty easily ignored now... sort of like the delay you experience when talking on a cell phone... no big deal...

I'd recommend anyone that's unhappy with their Ooma Telo and the phone service thru that device that has the 2Wire 2701 to replace the 2Wire 2701 with a much more reliable modem/router combo unit or reliable and separate modems and routers... I don't think you have anything to lose and everything to gain.