Choppy Sound for Half my Calls

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
gday
Re: Choppy Sound for Half my Calls

Post by gday » Thu May 26, 2011 1:32 pm

I know it's been over a year since this thread was active, but I am having the exact same problem. I just switched from Comcast (I used Comcast Voice). Now I am using Qwest with Ooma, but I am having the same issue. I have tried multiple phones. It seems to only be a one-way issue. Using my home phone, I can hear fine--no issues. Others who call, however, have a very hard time understanding what I am saying because the signal is very choppy. Please help!

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu May 26, 2011 1:49 pm

gday, what do you get on test results? viewtopic.php?t=6222#p44257

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Thu May 26, 2011 2:38 pm

gday:
If your Ooma setup is Modem-Ooma-Router, access Ooma Setup by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open.
First:
Click on Internet on left side of window. Go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and click on Use Built In. Click on Update Device.
Second:
Click on Advanced on left side of window.
Under Quality of Service, set both the Upstream Internet Speed and the Downstream Internet Speed to approximately 80 % of the measured upload and down load speeds as measured by http://www.speedtest.net/.

Note: 80 % is just a starting point and you may need to adjust the Upstream Internet Speed and the Downstream Internet Speeds higher or lower to allow your Ooma to function properly and also your LAN device requirements. Click on Update; reboot your Ooma Telo and Test.

Third:
If you Ooma setup is connected Modem-Router-Ooma, temporaily connect a network cable from your Ooma Telo home port to the wired LAN port of a comuter. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in th computer if turned on. Reboot the computer.
Type http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open.
Set both the Upstream Internet Speed and the Downstream Internet Speeds to Zero. Click on Update; reboot your Ooma Telo and Test.

After testing, if you still have problems, set both the Upstream Internet Speed and the Downstream Internet Speeds to a setting about 1000 kbps higher than the http://www.speedtest.net/ speeds. Click on Update; reboot your Ooma Telo and Test.

tend

Post by tend » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:53 am

I had this issue from the very beginning. Tried different experiments and believe the problem is from the hub. The problem seems come from the electronic cross-talk between the hub and the wireless phone set. The sound quality from a corded phone usually has no problem. Cordless phone (wireless) has this issue. If the phone is closer to ooma hub, the problem is worse. I have 2 solutions though the sound quality is still not perfect but acceptable.
(1) Move the ooma hub 3 feet away from the phone, connect a fax machine which has a ground connection (power cord has ground) to the phone.
(2) Move the wireless phone set to another room using the home telephone wire.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:24 am

What happens if cordless phone is DECT 6?

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:59 am

tend:
Some of the older cordless phone sets use the same frequencies that Ooma and some wireless routers use, which will cause conflicts.
When I first purchased our Ooma Telo, I had similar problems using an older cordless phone set. Then I purchased and installed a DECT 6 set of phones. All of those problems went away after disconnecting my old cordless phone set.
If you do purchase a DECT 6 phone set, make sure you disconnect the old cordless phone set, including power from the base. If the old cordless phone set base is still powered, you will still have problems.

tend

Post by tend » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:32 pm

I switched from old cordless phone to DECT6, same problem. Now I am running the ooma hub in another room that is about 15feet away from the router and the DECT6 set. So far so good.
lbmofo wrote:What happens if cordless phone is DECT 6?

tend

Post by tend » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:40 pm

Hi thunderbird, thank you for sharing. I actually did the same thing as what you did. I am using DECT6 now. The ooma hub generated pretty strong electronic noise that can be heard by the computer speaker next to it. Yes, DECT6 improves but it still has the similar issue. Now I connect ooma in anther room by cat5 ethernet cable. I am satisfied with the outbound voice now.
thunderbird wrote:tend:
Some of the older cordless phone sets use the same frequencies that Ooma and some wireless routers use, which will cause conflicts.
When I first purchased our Ooma Telo, I had similar problems using an older cordless phone set. Then I purchased and installed a DECT 6 set of phones. All of those problems went away after disconnecting my old cordless phone set.
If you do purchase a DECT 6 phone set, make sure you disconnect the old cordless phone set, including power from the base. If the old cordless phone set base is still powered, you will still have problems.

sallen69

Post by sallen69 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:56 am

When I make or receive calls they complain that I am choppy.
Also every few minutes I loose the person for a few seconds and then they come back.

Here's the info people had asked for.

Capacity test statistics
------------------------
Download capacity: 14001016 bps
Download packets per second: 1750
Upload capacity: 1105344 bps
Upload packets per second: 138
Quality of service: 96 %
Packet size: 1000 Bytes

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 13701512 bps
Upload speed: 1441968 bps
Download consistency of service: 85 %
Upload consistency of service: -- %
Maximum TCP delay: 63 ms
Average download pause: 2 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 103 ms
Average round trip time to server: 103 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 13701512bps
Route concurrency: 1.0
Download TCP forced idle: 24 %
Maximum route speed: --

IPTV test statistics
--------------------
Video Jitter: -- ms
Video Loss: 97.9 %
Video Packet Order: 0.0 %
Left Audio Jitter: -- ms
Left Audio Loss: 99.0 %
Left Audio Order: 0.0 %
Right Audio Jitter: -- ms
Right Audio Loss: 99.0 %
Right Audio Order: 0.0 %

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 3507 kbps
Upload speed: 1053 kbps
Download consistency of service: 53 %
Upload consistency of service: 74 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 130 ms
Average download pause: 7 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 103 ms
Average round trip time to server: 104 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 32800 kbps
Route concurrency: 9.352019
Download TCP forced idle: 85 %
Maximum route speed: 5090 kbps

Streaming video statistics
--------------------------

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 1.4 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 1.0 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.2

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:34 am

sallen69:
First:
Are you using Built In MAC Address on your Ooma Device? If not the procedure is posted earlier in this thread.

Next:
Make sure that your Ooma device is located at least four feet distance from your router and cordless phone base.

Next:
There is a "bug" that Ooma promised to be fixed this following week. The bug is for one way calling, not for the problem that you are having but may help.

I am some times experiencing one way calling, choppy garbled voice, and trouble calling out also. So I'm waiting for the bug fix also.