Ooma Unveils New Telo Handset @ 2012 CES, WOW!

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
lbmofo
Ooma Unveils New Telo Handset @ 2012 CES, WOW!

Post by lbmofo » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:49 am

WayneDsr

Re: Ooma Unveils New Telo Handset @ 2012 CES, WOW!

Post by WayneDsr » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:29 pm

I agree, WOW! Can't wait.

Wayne
ooma customer since January 2009
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Lifetime Premier Member

dickwhitman6

Post by dickwhitman6 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:05 pm

This new handset looks great - much better than the current model. I just got set up with my Telo, which was a X-mas gift, and love the Ooma service.

Once my Premier trial runs out, I will very likely pay for the Premier service going forward. It would be great if the new handset is offered as a freebie for paying for a year of Premier. Any guesses as to whether that will be the case? Otherwise, I'll probably take the refund from porting my old number over (which to Ooma's credit was completed in four days!)

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:53 pm

To get the refund on porting fee, I believe you have to purchase annual Premier before your trial ends. Not sure if Ooma will offer up the new handset as free gift (personally, I'd think it would be a while before the new handsets would be offered).

dickwhitman6

Post by dickwhitman6 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:10 pm

lbmofo wrote:To get the refund on porting fee, I believe you have to purchase annual Premier before your trial ends. Not sure if Ooma will offer up the new handset as free gift (personally, I'd think it would be a while before the new handsets would be offered).
Thanks for the useful info. I didn't know I needed to pay for Premier before the trial ends to get the "gift."

I sent an email to Ooma customer service about getting the new handset instead of the porting refund; got a response that they're not sure at this point whether that will be an option. I'm guessing it's not likely as you noted, but can't hurt to ask.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:26 pm

For some reason, folks on here mentioned the porting fee refund to work like that (if you already paid for porting, subscribe to Premier before trial ends to get refund) but I am not 100% certain.

The free gifts are for folks that sign up to Premier annual for the first time. I am not even sure what happens if you don't opt out of Premier before trial ends and you end up with monthly subscription; I would think you'd get a free gift as well if you sign up to annual.

Perhaps you could report it here if you get clarification from support.

rmeden

Post by rmeden » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:03 pm

A better question is be how cheap they'll be selling the old handsets? :)

Personally, I'm underwhelmed with the new handset. Whoopee, it shows the facebook picture of a caller in your contact list. I can do that on my phone, but don't for FB privacy reasons. Do you want FB to know when folks call you?

How about the caller-id name for a caller *NOT* on your contact list?
How about call log entry for blacklisted numbers?
Those two things should be simpler. Ooma already has the data, they don't need to grab it.

Was the FB phone in the suggestion forum?

Robert

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:02 am

rmeden wrote:Do you want FB to know when folks call you?
The only FB involvement likely is just providing contact info (pic etc) when Ooma wants it (probably via refresh invoked by user).
rmeden wrote:How about the caller-id name for a caller *NOT* on your contact list?
It costs Ooma money to look up the name using number.
rmeden wrote:How about call log entry for blacklisted numbers?
This is on Ooma roadmap I think.
rmeden wrote:Was the FB phone in the suggestion forum?
Don't think so.

rmeden

Post by rmeden » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:10 pm

lbmofo wrote:
rmeden wrote:Do you want FB to know when folks call you?
The only FB involvement likely is just providing contact info (pic etc) when Ooma wants it (probably via refresh invoked by user).
Which will tell FB that someone called you. (Ooma issuing a request with your username, for a picture tied to number # basically tell FB that # called you)
ibmomo wrote:
rmeden wrote:How about the caller-id name for a caller *NOT* on your contact list?
It costs Ooma money to look up the name using number.
But they already paid it for my caller-id.
ibmofo wrote:
rmeden wrote:How about call log entry for blacklisted numbers?
This is on Ooma roadmap I think.
I saw a post requesting this from a few years ago. I'm not holding my breath

Granted I've only been involved in this forum for a few months, but from what I've seen, Ooma doesn't seem to pay attention to most of the posts nor respond frequently. Has anything from the suggestion forum been implemented?

I don't mean this as Ooma bashing, just a fact. They created this forum to reduce customer service load, but they don't seem to be taking full advantage of it.

EFlores

Post by EFlores » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:15 pm

I can't wait for it to be available, I will sure order 2 of them..... they look great! :D