Upgrade "old" to "New"

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
dferrey
Upgrade "old" to "New"

Post by dferrey » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:51 am

I've had ooma now for quite a while and still have the hub and scout set up and working.

My configuration is, I think, straight forward. I have permier, so two lines. I have a hub in my home office. It's connected to the Internet and one output line connected to my work phone and the other to a wall jack. In my kitchen I have a scout plugged into the wall jack. Plugged into the scout is a wireless phone station which in turn has 4 connected.

A couple months back I switched from cable modem Internet to DSL Internet. Since my house was already wired for 2 lines, I have the DSL line plugged into the DSL modem (duh) with the other line connected to the hub as described above.

I experience occasional drops of my DSL service. It wasn't a surprise to me when I called in for support they didn't like the other line being used without a filter. I have a filter but it prevents the hub from communicating to the scout.

I did a bunch of searching here and didn't find anything did or seemed would help. So I wonder if an upgrade to the Telo would remove ooma from the equation and prevent my DSL provider from blaming something else. Heck, they might even be right.

Can I simply replace the hub with the telo and bring my base unit into my home office and plug it, along with my home office phone, into the telo? I'm pretty sure I can't do that with my hub.

murphy

Re: Upgrade "old" to "New"

Post by murphy » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 am

Sit the hub and scout side by side.
Connect a phone cable from the wall port of the hub to the wall port of the scout.
Connect the hub phone port to whatever you want to be on the first number.
Connect the scout phone port to whatever you want to be on the second number.
Caution:
If you feed either or both of those phone lines into your walls do NOT connect them to a line that has the DSL signal on it.
The incoming DSL signal should go straight to your DSL modem and no where else.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx