Using Ooma results in Internet disconnection

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
Lord Vader
Re: Using Ooma results in Internet disconnection

Post by Lord Vader » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:54 pm

As I have it presently set up, which is the way I've had it since I started in early September, is my modem goes into my router's Internet port. From my Ooma Telo home port a cable goes to one of my router's 4 blue port openings. Is the way suggested in the link to which you refer a different way; that is, do I skip the Home port connection altogether and just go from the Telo's Internet port to my router?

Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:41 pm

LV device list-1.pdf
List of my attached devices
(72.44KiB)Downloaded 251 times
I think there's some kind of conflict, which I don't know why suddenly has popped up. I've had the Telo connected the same way since I started my Ooma service in early September, but only within the last 24 hours has it begun causing this Internet disconnection issue.

Take a look at the attached .pdf file. I couldn't post it here because the device lists wouldn't maintain their format in this forum post, so I listed them as a .pdf file to review.

The problem seems to be that when I connect the Ooma Telo again, it pops up with the same MAC address as the ethernet-connected PC, but with a different/new IP address that is not a duplicate.

murphy

Post by murphy » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:17 am

Lord Vader wrote:As I have it presently set up, which is the way I've had it since I started in early September, is my modem goes into my router's Internet port. From my Ooma Telo home port a cable goes to one of my router's 4 blue port openings. Is the way suggested in the link to which you refer a different way; that is, do I skip the Home port connection altogether and just go from the Telo's Internet port to my router?
The Telo's Internet port should be connected to a router LAN port.
The Telo Home port should be empty except for temporarily connecting a computer to access the Telo setup screens.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:02 am

I originally misspoke, as that is the way I had it connected. My Ooma service worked; it just disconnected my PC's Internet. Anyway, I think I have the problem solved by changing a MAC setting on my Ooma's settings page.

Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:32 pm

I think I figured out the problem, although I don't know why it occurred in the first place. I hadn't made any changes in the 4 1/2 months I've had the service. I went into the Telo setup and, having set it to DHCP already, I changed it to choose the built-in MAC, because apparently, it was grabbing the same MAC as the computer; hence the Internet conflict.

BTW, I also followed the recommendations of a few posts that said to go into the Advanced setup on the Telo and change both the up and down bandwidth numbers in the QoS settings to 0. I did that, but I must admit, my voice quality is now terrible. When someone else speaks to me, they're all garbled. That never happened before.