Ooma Unveils New Telo Handset @ 2012 CES, WOW!

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
lbmofo
Re: Ooma Unveils New Telo Handset @ 2012 CES, WOW!

Post by lbmofo » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:39 pm

rmeden, I think the contact pics from FB will be stored on the Ooma side after pulls from FB (to be displayed when relevant calls comes in). Facebook will not know who called you because the handshakes between Ooma and Facebook will not be on per call basis and will not be triggered by any calls.

On the incoming callerid name display, name lookup happens on per call basis so it costs Ooma $ to do it. More info on the cost of name lookup here: https://www.ooma.com/app/support/outbou ... am-display

Ooma listens to the forum/feature requests. Some examples of what's coming in the future:
  • Telo Handset Headset Jack, AA Battery
  • Do Not Disturb Whitelist
  • Scheduled Do Not Disturb
  • Voicemail On/Off Toggle
  • Caller ID on VMs
  • Blacklisted Call Activity in Call Logs
  • Community Blacklist Visibility

rmeden

Post by rmeden » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:15 pm

Interesting article on the Caller-id. I suspect the telcos learned how to maintain a CLID database from the Realtor;s MLS. :)

My point is Ooma does the lookup (for premium users) at the time of the incoming call. It's then displayed on my Caller-id device and stored in the call log. If that person then leaves a voice-mail, I think it should be stored there as well. That shouldn't involve another database dip.

On the FB lookup, I don't know how it works and I have never coded FB apps, but I have coded other online lookup apps. My guess is Ooma doesn't store the data but Ooma app queries a FB app that has been given permission to access your account. That's the method used by the Android FB app, and other web site links. If they didn't do it that way, they would need to scan frequently for changes, plus it may be against FB rules (speculation on my part).

Want a wakeup call? Try http://mypermissions.org/ to see what apps you've given access to your account(s). I don't know exactly what these apps and FB collect, but I'm pretty sure more than I want them to have.

Robert

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:28 pm

rmeden wrote:My point is Ooma does the lookup (for premium users) at the time of the incoming call. It's then displayed on my Caller-id device and stored in the call log. If that person then leaves a voice-mail, I think it should be stored there as well. That shouldn't involve another database dip.
Ooma is targeting to mark VMs with callerid name in the future: viewtopic.php?t=10878
rmeden wrote:On the FB lookup, I don't know how it works and I have never coded FB apps, but I have coded other online lookup apps. My guess is Ooma doesn't store the data but Ooma app queries a FB app that has been given permission to access your account. That's the method used by the Android FB app, and other web site links. If they didn't do it that way, they would need to scan frequently for changes, plus it may be against FB rules (speculation on my part).
I don't think it will be on the fly lookup; pics would be stored somewhere within Ooma's network (handset for sure).
rmeden wrote:Want a wakeup call? Try http://mypermissions.org/ to see what apps you've given access to your account(s). I don't know exactly what these apps and FB collect, but I'm pretty sure more than I want them to have.
Haven't tried other media but for FB, that link brings you to the same place as "Account Settings" - "Apps" Yeah, if one doesn't recognize an app or doesn't know what it does, just remove it.

Texan

Post by Texan » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:56 pm

I want this new handset! I just hope the Ooma engineers made this handset better than the last, as the phone batteries or the phone in general does not keep a long charge (maybe 25-30 minutes at most of talk-time). I've got two handsets, charged them 24 hrs when they were new and Ooma has sent me and I've replaced my batteries but phone still undercharges quite fast. OOMA ENGINEERS: If you're reading this please fix the problem!

Santa

Post by Santa » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:10 pm

There's only one feature here I care about: The headset jack. If it works well (good volume both in and out), then I might be willing to give it a go as a path to a true 2nd line.

I was really hoping for bluetooth connectivity for a wireless headset for line 2.

The rest of the stuff: pretty much fluff for me that I'd likely not even use.

The Telo Handset is the only path that Ooma provides for a true line two, so if using a headset doesn't work well, then it's useless to me.

watchdog

Post by watchdog » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:37 am

There is already an option in our Contacts to upload a pic or an avatar for a specific contact.

So maybe ooma is not entirely going to depend on Facebook for pics to come to the handset.

If someone in our contacts is not on Facebook, maybe whatever avatar we have uploaded for that contact will show up on the new telo handset when they call.

Could this be what ooma has planned as well as FB avatars?

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:01 am

They couldn't be entirely based on Face Book. Most (if not all) of my business contacts are not my Facebook friends, and my wife has her own Facebook friend contact list as well. That would get confusing. I hope they allow both or at least via upload into My Ooma contacts.

Wayne
ooma customer since January 2009
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Lifetime Premier Member

murphy

Post by murphy » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:07 am

WayneDsr wrote:They couldn't be entirely based on Face Book. Most (if not all) of my business contacts are not my Facebook friends, and my wife has her own Facebook friend contact list as well. That would get confusing. I hope they allow both or at least via upload into My Ooma contacts.

Wayne
I agree. I am not on facebook and none of my friends are either.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

pushout

Post by pushout » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:11 am

rmeden wrote:
lbmofo wrote:
rmeden wrote:Do you want FB to know when folks call you?
The only FB involvement likely is just providing contact info (pic etc) when Ooma wants it (probably via refresh invoked by user).
Which will tell FB that someone called you. (Ooma issuing a request with your username, for a picture tied to number # basically tell FB that # called you)
ibmomo wrote:
rmeden wrote:How about the caller-id name for a caller *NOT* on your contact list?
It costs Ooma money to look up the name using number.
But they already paid it for my caller-id.
ibmofo wrote:
rmeden wrote:How about call log entry for blacklisted numbers?
This is on Ooma roadmap I think.
I saw a post requesting this from a few years ago. I'm not holding my breath

Granted I've only been involved in this forum for a few months, but from what I've seen, Ooma doesn't seem to pay attention to most of the posts nor respond frequently. Has anything from the suggestion forum been implemented?

I don't mean this as Ooma bashing, just a fact. They created this forum to reduce customer service load, but they don't seem to be taking full advantage of it.
You are 100% correct and not Ooma bashing. I have been with Ooma for 2 years and I have never seen them respond to any concern voiced here. I don't know about everybody else, however from my experience, Ooma's phone and email support is a joke. Just like their handset. For example; I recently called Ooma phone support and was told to email Ooma support with an attachment for clarification. Which I did. After several emails, which caused me to doubt that Ooma was even reading them, I was told to call customer support for assistance. I told Ooma it was not worth any more of my time and to call me. I am going to protest any unauthorized charges to my credit card. BTW, this was over the anniversary date of the increased taxes and fees.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:32 pm

pushout wrote:I am going to protest any unauthorized charges to my credit card.
If you are talking about monthly taxes, I wouldn't do that unless you want your service terminated. To reactivate, you'd have to pay a fee.