Loud clicking noise randomly during phone calls

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
atjaguarx
Loud clicking noise randomly during phone calls

Post by atjaguarx » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:20 pm

Occasionally, when I call my Ooma number, I hear a very loud, very annoying clicking noise. The clicking noise can only be heard by myself (the person calling the Ooma Telo device). The person on the Ooma does not hear it. The clicking occurs a few times a second and appears to only happen when I call the Ooma Telo. Once the clicking starts, it does not stop. If I attempt to call the Ooma back, the clicking continues. The only way I have found to stop it is by having the person on the Ooma Telo call me back.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm ready to give up on this device. Everything was very smooth the first month I had the Ooma up and running. The day I decided to port my number over, everything went down hill. Fortunately, I started experiencing the issues before I actually ported the number over.

thunderbird

Re: Loud clicking noise randomly during phone calls

Post by thunderbird » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:07 am

There appears to be at least three prople that are having this problem.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13191

Because the problem is probably on the Ooma Side, everyone should contact Ooma Customer Support and report the problem.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST

markcm

Post by markcm » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:44 am

I am having nearly this exact problem. I've found that the clicking happens almost always when the oncoming call is started from a cellphone and 3/4g is worse than 2g connections; landline connections seem to be ok. The clicking is only heard on the remote end, I cannot hear it on the telo just as you mentioned. I have been and still am in contact with ooma support. Anyone having this problem should keep our threads together, you are welcome to join in mine which has several posts of troubleshooting and results that I've been through.

I welcom anyone else with this problem to join the thread I've started thread on ticking/clicking here

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:53 am

Maybe what is common for the three of you that is having this problem, is the cell phone or the cell phone provider service?

markcm

Post by markcm » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:54 am

I have noted the clicking with Verizon on a cheap LG flip phone, Verizon on a new moto smart phone, Straight talk on a chaep LG flip phone, and T-mobile from a Samsung Galaxy SII and my new Blackberry Torch. My Torch doesn't seem to do it when I force it to 2G mode.

I am on Comcast Internet with an upgraded guaranteed 20mb / 5mb connection and frequently measure 30mb+ download and 7mb+ uploads.

I am using a several year old Terayon TJ715x modem and notice the DATA light flickers about the same rate as the clicking noise. When I terminate a call, it appears the noise stops the exact moment that the DATA light slows down its activity as well.

pete532

Post by pete532 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:21 am

In my tests, I get the click noises when calling my Ooma number from a Verizon 3G cell phone, a T-Mobile cell phone, and from Skype. So it's not just cell phones. I have not tried calling from a landline.

I also have Comcast internet with measured 22Mb down & 3Mb up. Ping 17ms, jitter 4ms & packet loss zero.

My configuration is Motorola cable modem > Ooma Telo > Linksys WRT54G router > 2 Computers

atjaguarx

Post by atjaguarx » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:08 pm

The incoming call is NOT from a cell phone.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:18 pm

It appears that Ooma may have been able to duplicate the problem.

Go to: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13191&start=10

pete532

Post by pete532 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:54 pm

Ooma called today and said they had made some network changes to address the clicking noise problem, and so far it seems to have fixed the problem. I will report back if that changes.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:41 pm

pete532 wrote:Ooma called today and said they had made some network changes to address the clicking noise problem, and so far it seems to have fixed the problem. I will report back if that changes.
Thanks for reporting your progress to the forum. :)