Call issues with wifi adapter

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
junkyaad
Call issues with wifi adapter

Post by junkyaad » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:32 pm

I have a FiOS connection and a brand new Netgear N600 dual band Wireless-N router. From my other wireless-N devices, I will pretty consistently get ~18 Mbps Down and ~5-6 Mbps Up. Even with this, I've been having some connection issues with my brand new Ooma Telo with wireless adapter. On the Tools section, the Ooma reports that it's seeing over 5000 kbps on the bandwidth calculator.

In the early evening, I will be on a phone call, and then the other side of the call will down like it's fading out/breaking up for about 10 seconds and then it returns to normal. I also noticed that the unit would lose its connection to Ooma every now and again and start blinking red. I already messed with the QOS and location of the device.

Tonight I'm trying to connect it directly to the router instead of wireless to make sure this is strictly a wireless issue. Has anyone else had this issue before? Any thoughts on solutions, as I would love to use my wireless adapter.

Thanks!

thunderbird

Re: Call issues with wifi adapter

Post by thunderbird » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:54 pm

junkyaad wrote:I have a FiOS connection and a brand new Netgear N600 dual band Wireless-N router. From my other wireless-N devices, I will pretty consistently get ~18 Mbps Down and ~5-6 Mbps Up. Even with this, I've been having some connection issues with my brand new Ooma Telo with wireless adapter. On the Tools section, the Ooma reports that it's seeing over 5000 kbps on the bandwidth calculator.
Test with http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest or http://www.speedtest.net/ and see what you get.
I like Phonepower Speed test.
junkyaad wrote: In the early evening, I will be on a phone call, and then the other side of the call will down like it's fading out/breaking up for about 10 seconds and then it returns to normal. I also noticed that the unit would lose its connection to Ooma every now and again and start blinking red. I already messed with the QOS and location of the device.
This problem is an on going problem that has been going on for some time. I also have this problem which appears to be on the Ooma Server side. It would be best to report this problem to Ooma Customer Service, so that if enough of us report the problem, Ooma Support will come up with a fix.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
junkyaad wrote: Tonight I'm trying to connect it directly to the router instead of wireless to make sure this is strictly a wireless issue. Has anyone else had this issue before? Any thoughts on solutions, as I would love to use my wireless adapter.
Thanks!
The Ooma wireless connections have seemed to be rock solid, including mine, and in many cases better than the wired network cable connection. Let the forum know how you come out with your testing, connecting your Ooma Telo to the router using a network cable.

If you find that you are still having disconnects with the connection Modem-Ooma-Router using a network cable, try changing from Automatic MAC address to use Built In MAC address in Ooma Setup.

Next if you are still having problems, temporarily connect Modem-Ooma leaving the Router and other devices disconnected for this test. Then test. This connection will eliminate everything except your Internet service and your modem. In some rare occasions, the Internet provider's signal will stall, stop, and surge, which will effect the Ooma Telo. But you can tell if this is going on when you surf the Internet.
Last edited by thunderbird on Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

junkyaad

Post by junkyaad » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:04 am

So at this point, we actually haven't used the phone since transferring it to a direct ethernet connection. I'm hoping to give it a try for the rest of the week.

I also meant to note, that I believe we started having these problems after I successfully transferred my number from Vonage. I don't know if that was coincidental, or if it could have anything to do with it (not sure how it could).

junkyaad

Post by junkyaad » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:13 pm

It's been a slow week on the phone, but at this point I have to say that we haven't had any issue with the direct Ethernet connection. I'm pretty baffled that such a fast wifi connection (that's stable on all my other wireless devices) would have such issues with this brand new wifi adapter.

I guess the only other thing to try, if I'd like to use the wifi, would be to use the above MAC address suggestion. Has anyone else found a fix?